“Unexpected Surprise”

Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We had been advised not to stay in Johannesburg as a dangerous city. However we booked the Peermont D'oreale Grande and to our great surprise this was an excellent hotel. Reasonably priced and a top quality hotel. Beautifull room with every luxury item.
We felt safe and wished we were staying longer than one night.
Hotel is attached to a large Las Vegas type Casino. Lovely grounds with pool.
Only negative was the hotel did not have a casual restaurant. Only a fairly expensive formal restaurant. However we eat in the casino.
If we went back to Johannesburg this is where we would stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClontarfPorky76
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed March 21, 2011

D'Orelale Grande is about 5-10 minutes drive from the OR Tambo International Airport, has a shuttle service that runs every 15 minutes or so. It is part of Emperor's Palace Casino complex. Room are very good and so are the other facilities like the Lounge and Dining are luxurious. Additionally, you have access to the casino, entertainment, and food court area which offers something to everyone's taste. If you're concluding a hectic business trip and want to spend a couple of days pampering yourself before you head home, D'Oreale is the best option near the airport. Would definitely want to go back and stay there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2011

The hotel is 10 minutes from the airport and located within the Emperor's Palace Complex. The rooms are well appointed and and comfortable. The bathroom is pretty spacious too.

Our room was overlooking the pool and the gardens. It was our good luck that evening the garden was lit up with christmas lights. it was truly a beautiful sight.

That evening we visited the spa and tried out some of their treatments. The treatments were nice but priced on the higher side.

We were impressed with the large dinner spread in the main dining room. Lots of options for vegetarians and fabulous desserts.

A definitely repeatable experience. We look forward to going there and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Having read the recent trip advisor comments on this hotel I felt it necessary to comment as follows. It is in a perfect position for travellers being close to Johannesburg International Airport and offers regular shuttle services at 20 minutes intervals to and from the Airport. There are plenty of well priced restaurants to choose from in the complex as well as shows and for those who like to try their luck, there is a Casino. For sun worshipers there is a beautiful pool area set in lovely gardens. The breakfast is one of the best my husband and I have had in quite a while and we are frequent travellers. The staff are friendly and informative and in our particular case went the extra mile. We were checked into a beautiful suite with exquisite attention to detail and fine furnishings. We were only there one night and wished we had been there for longer.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janettej
Reviewed November 12, 2010

My wife and I decided to spoil ourselves with a 1 night stay the D'Oreale, as we had received an invite to Thai Food festival being held at the hotel, and did not want to drive back home after dinner.

Check in was quick, efficient and friendly. We had a booked a standard double room, and while it is not the largest hotel room I have stayed in, its not the smallest either. The room has all the amenities such as tean coffee making facilities, toiletries, bar fridge(expensive) TV(good selction of channels).

The Thai dinner, in a buffet style at the Queen of the Nile Restaurant was very good for buffet. Breakfast was very good.

The D'Oreale is great for a night or 2 and being in a Casino and entertainment complex, there is plenty to do, including movie theatres, live entertainmnent, spa and also a swimming pool.

This would be an ideal hotel for a stopover if you are catching a flight or flying in and need to spend the night. It may not be the closest hotel to JHB International Airport (OR Tambo) as there are some hotels a bit closer, and even some within the airport complex, it does give you the feeling of being further from the airport than it is, as I only heard the sound of a plane once in the time I was there.

All in all I had a pleasant stay here, and if the opportunity arose, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed here overnight on the first night of my honeymoon and although we only stayed for one night, I have nothing but good things to say about it.

It's very convenient for the airport, the building is beautiful, the artwork is stunning, the food in the restaurant is great. Breakfast was a buffet breakfast - possibly the largest of it's kind in any hotel I've stayed in. There's literally something for everyone for breakfast.

We stayed in one of the suits and were very happy. The room was huge, the bed comfortable, the jacuzzi great :) We purchased the Amore package so while we were having dinner, they changed all the bed sheets to black silk, laid out a second set of bathrobes for us, sprinkled the entire place with rose petals and left a bottle of bubble in the chiller. They also left a selection of "other" items on the bed which I won't go into :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Though I have been there more than a few times now and never seen any evidence to it being any different than any other big city, Jo’burg is not known as the safest place to be. Because of this, it seems the locals, or their developers at least, like to put up big walls around everything. The Peermont group of hotels is located within one of these walls, with security guarded gates, that one must show ID to enter and exit. I guess it helps people feel “safe.”

This complex has multiple hotels, restaurants, and a casino, all owned by the same corporation, in a big mall-like atmosphere. My brother and I after a day or two started referring to it as the “green zone.” So you can, because we did, stay within these walls for up to a week or more and be relatively well fed and entertained, though as we did, you might get a bit of cabin fever and end up paying one of their taxi’s almost a hundred dollars to take you anywhere but there for a dinner somewhere else.

We moved to this hotel from the Mondior after experiencing horrible service and outrageous internet prices. Here we got free internet, better service and the hotel was fine, though I really doubt their claims of 5 star status, i'm thinking three. Breakfast was good, but the service was slow at times. I think a lot of business meetings take place there, so maybe they are doing this on purpose, but when you just need to eat and run to the meeting, it can be an issue. I do have to commend the housekeeping staff, as they somehow found a pearl stud earring that I lost and looked all over for and left it on the bedstand for me. I figured it was gone, so I didn’t even tell them to look. One thing to note: you could get an iron delivered to your room at the Mondior, but not here??

oh, one more thing, good luck getting a decent price. if you do, it's fine, but otherwise i think most of the airport hotels are basicly the same.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business