“Excellent stay could not fault it”

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our family ( 2 adults, 2 kids) stayed at this hotel on our way back from Kruger for 1 night. It was brilliant, we had free drinks in the lobby with a pianist playing which the kids danced to. The room was clean and bedding comfortable for a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was included which had a great variety and lovely view to the pool. For 130 USD it was a brilliant price and i would highly recommend this hotel.

Only had to wait 5 minutes for the airport shuttle which was easy to find.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Thomas35_11

Thank you so much for submitting this positive review. I am delighted to hear that you felt that is was brilliant. The welcome cheese and wines as well as the pianist certainly does create a differentiating ambiance in the lobby. It is pleasing to know that we added to your Kruger Park trip.

One of our differentiators is our complimentary shuttle service that runs every fifteen minutes, twenty four hours a day. I am pleased that this was found to provide you and your family with ease of movement.

Please accept further thanks for acknowledging the room and bed experience which forms part of the Southern Sun Brand Hallmarks. The same applies to the dining experience and in your case, the breakfast experience.

All in all, thank you for your patronage, your endorsement of our service delivery and the value for money experienced.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you and your family.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The room preparation was excellent, the food was delicious, the hotel staff were very professional, I would really recommend this hotel to my friends and family. The hotel was closer to the airport and other places of interest which was convenient for me.

Dear Monica N

Thank you so much for the acknowledgment and positive review.

You have highlighted three areas of utmost importance that my team and I pride ourselves on, the room experience, the dining experience and the staff service delivery. This is most appreciated as much emphasis is placed on these areas and we are blessed with many exceptional people on this team such as the very talented Executive chef, Chang an Song and his team.

You have touched on the convenience of this location in relation to the airport and other areas of interest. This is something that few take the trouble to do and often do not realize the centrality and ease of movement to the rest of the province when it comes to the road and Gautrain infrastructure. A special thanks for this.

Thank you for the endorsement to family, friends and all other fellow travelers.

We look forward to hosting you when next you venture into Gauteng.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is an excellent value, a big step above a budget hotel and a lot less expensive than the higher-class options at the airport of Johannesburg.

There is a free shuttle that runs every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, and please note -- it is a bit hard to find it. After clearing customs, follow the signs to the Hotel Intercontinental and then keep going toward (I think) "Buses." The signage is poor. If a scruffy-looking young man appears and asks you where you want to go (this happened to me), tell him Southern Sun shuttle, and follow him-- and be sure to tip him! The hallway is poorly lit, but when you step outside, the area is well lighted. In my case, the Southern Sun shuttle van, clearly marked, was sitting there, and the uniformed driver came to me straightaway.

The room I had was lovely and completely quiet. The shower was first-rate. The buffet breakfast was generous, varied, and fresh, and the service at breakfast was very good. Even the coffee was good! The people working at the reception desk were totally professional and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Macloo

Dear Macloo

Thank you very much for the very positive review and endorsement to fellow travelers.

It is very important to us that value for money is provided to our patrons and I am delighted that you found this to be the case.

Thank you for assisting with the explanation as to how to find the Bus Terminal within the airport. Should you or anyone that you know be returning, we are able to email a very handy electronic map of the airport and surrounding transport infrastructure to assist in this regard.

It is most appreciated that you have pointed out what is perhaps unexpected in that the hotel does not suffer any noise pollution albeit on the International Airport grounds. Southern Sun Hotels Hallmarks incorporate a quality room experience and a dining experience that you have so eloquently shared with regards the room and the breakfast. Please accept further thanks for the acknowledgment of the welcoming and professional staff as this is certainly something that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to the opportunity to once again host you in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed one night between 2 connecting flights at OR Tambo. Shuttle service to and from airport very efficient. Very friendly staff. Only negative: strange stain on room carpet. Room pleasant and clean though! Would recommend to travellers who need accommodation close to airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear Rialette S

Thanks so much for this lovely review. It is wonderful to be acknowledged for very friendly staff from a resident of “The Friendly City” of Port Elizabeth. I am guessing it was a pleasant surprise!

Thank you for pointing out and sharing the efficiency of our complimentary shuttle bus that runs every fifteen minutes twenty four hours a day.

Please accept my apology for the oversight with regards the unacceptable stain in the carpet. Please would you confirm your details to Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com to enable me to make sure that it has since been removed. I am relieved to note that you did however find the room to be pleasant and clean.

Thank you for your endorsement to fellow travelers. This is most appreciated.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

very good place to stay and I will share my experience with my associates and family and partners. IT WAS A JOY to be at such a 5 star hotel. My encouragement to the staff to keep up the good work. WELL done to the catering personnel. Food and service was of a high standard and quality.

Dear Josephprude

Thank you so much for your support and endorsement to your associates, family, partners and fellow travelers.

My team and I pride ourselves on our delivery to our clients and in particular our kitchen and food and beverage team lead by the very talented Chef Chang an Song and Yashvir Jitoo have requested that I thank you for the acknowledgment of the dining experience.

We look forward to the next opportunity to host you.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Every time I arrive in Johannesburg it is such a relief to take the shuttlebus, and be in the hotel in just 5 minutes. The active staff checks you in in no time, rooms always tidy, great shower, and the food is just great. Have been here many times, and many more will come during my travels, but this is just Home Away from Home. Only point of attention would be the Sun website which is not always operative when you want to make a booking, but once arrived this is soon forgotten

1  Thank RondeBruijn
AntonySLarsen, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear RondeBruijn

We are no doubt the envy of our competitors with this huge endorsement of being ones home away from home. Travel is strenuous and stressful and to be complimented with your acknowledgment of “such relief” being experienced when reaching our shuttle bus and being just a few minutes away from our attentive staff that will efficiently check you into the hotel is a huge accolade.

Thank you for taking the time to submit this wonderful review and for your loyalty.

The good news is that the company is currently at an advanced stage in updating our booking process via tsogosun.com so I am sure that your one challenge will be eliminated in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Having stayed a number of times at the Southern Sun in Lusaka I decided to try this hotel as a convenient stop between flights.

The shuttle service is easy to use and very convenient, both to and from the airport.
I received a very warm welcome on arrival at reception. I was told about the complimentary nibbles and wine but didn’t partake - all I really wanted after travelling from Australia was a shower and a bed!

Before falling asleep in my huge and very comfortable bed I had dinner in the restaurant. The food was nice, but not outstanding, and the service was prompt and friendly.

My only complaint (not the fault of the hotel) was that there was a lot of noise outside my room during the night, thanks to the national soccer team for that!

I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear Kelstarama

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation provider in relation to your previous experience with Southern Sun Lusaka. Your very positive endorsement to fellow travelers is most appreciated.

You have touched on a number of what we see as differentiators to our competitors. These include our complimentary shuttle service that runs every fifteen minutes, twenty four hours a day, the arrival experience which is a Southern Sun Brand hallmark including the quality sleep experience and the dining experience. I have to admit to a little disappointment in that we did not manage to impress you with our food quality and therefore request that should you return, please would you let me know on Antony.Larsen@tsogosun.com as this will enable me to have our Executive Chef, Chang an Song, ensure that we make up for this shortfall.

Further to this, as we are a favored accommodation provider to many sports teams including various Australian Rugby teams, please ensure that should you return, you make mention of our National Football Team having disturbed you and my team will ensure that there is no such recurrence.

Thank you once again for your endorsement and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again.