“Staff where very friendly and the bath incredible!”

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed September 16, 2013

May be just because we had been travelling 23 hours but the bath was gorgeous, very deep waterfall taps and the whole bathroom very clean, all of the hotel was clean and very nice, expensive but the convenience was so great lovely sleep. we were worried the planes would keep up awake but we didnt hear a thing, lovely sleep then a flight to catch in the morning and we where well rested, will be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kayleigh T
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We pride ourselves in delivery outstanding service to all our guests consistently.
We are pleased you had a good night's rest and that you were comfortable and looked after in our facility.

Hope to see you in the near future again.

Kind Regards
Monique Horn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,484)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Pretty glass exterior, lovely lobby, good shuttle service, the joy ends there. We were taken to a dingy corridor (Rm. 373) that had seen little maintenance since the hotel opened. The room was acceptably clean but the paint was chipping and the floor of the entrance hallway sloped away from the bathroom, suggesting a structural problem. Checkout took 20 minutes! People behind the counter took their time. Fitness room was nice and restaurant buffet looked decent although we didn't have time to partake of it. It's possible that part of the hotel has been updated; I saw airline staff staying there so some parts of it must be okay. Make sure to ask for a different room if the one offered is run down.

Room Tip: Avoid room 373 and that entire corridor; it's run down.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lebljc

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate constructive feedback as it keeps us on our toes and allows us improve on our service to enhance our guests' experience. Please be assure that we will follow through on your comments and where possible, make the necessary corrections and enhancements.

Thank you for your support and we hope that you will visit us again.

Regards
Monique Horn

Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you stay at the OR Tambo Southern Sun Hotel - because it is conveniently located for any business traveler - you do not have to renounce to the pleasures of the palate. I have visited the wine bar and restaurant called Bernoulli's and was very well served, to start with. I had a outstanding dining experience at the end. The cold buffet was visually well laid out and kept the promise taste-wise. Real intercontinental fusion, so to say. The warm buffet and the desert stall were of the same level of variety and food quality. When paying the bill, another pleasant surprise: value for money!

Thank Ernst Schaltegg... S
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is the first and very last time we stayed at this hotel. We chose it for the location as we had to catch a 6h30 flight. Never again! The rooms were not even average, with 1 towel for a family of 4??? Only enough milk for tea for 2 people. The key card had to be reset, as it would not work after I took my son up to the room. When we woke, up we had no electricity, not even emergency lighting. The showers did not work and neither did any of the taps - we fortunately had bottled water to brush our teeth. This is not value for money.

How can a hotel this size and in Johannesburg not have a generator??

We tried to pack using the light of our cellphones... We then had to walk down the stairs (4th floor) with all our luggage and 2 people with heart conditions. Struggling to find our way in the PITCH dark with only the light from our cellphones, we ended up in the swimming pool area, then the restaurant, where we eventually was pointed in the right direction. There are no candles in the rooms, which would have helped.

Up to now, I have not received the promised invoice (as they could not process a check-out) - but the debit has gone through on my bank!

Next time, I will stay at the Protea Hotel, which is the hotel group we use for business.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hanri E
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel has a fantastically regular shuttle to the airport.

Rooms are average. Quiet and comfortable.

The breakfast was a high point for me. Made to order omelettes and an extremely impressive array of buffet items to suit pretty much any palette. I had a great steak in the restaurant for dinner also.

The complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby each evening was a nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for the positive trip advisor review.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The check in staff at reception on my arrival were cheerful, found my booking straight away and after adding a few missing details on my check in form I signed and was on the way to my room. The porter delivered the bags and by the time I had searched for some dollars in my pocket for a tip he had already left. This was unlike some chaps at the O.R. Tambo International Airport who for simply pointing me into the direction of the hotel shuttle bus pick up area held their hand out?!
My room, though not overly large (the 'classic' 70's and 80's style layout), was clean though the carpet showed signs of 'thinning', normally an indicator that some refurbishment would be due, and the stand alone air condition unit, which I left in off position, too is an energy guzzler I last saw perhaps a decade ago in another hotel. The room was adequately furnished though and the sockets on the working desk allowed for several batteries to be charged at once, unlike at a Nairobi hotel I recently stayed in and rated of apparently higher rating but clearly lower room standards.
The Southern Sun O.R. Tambo is NOT a hotel where I would expect slippers and robes but provided a good bed / mattress and decent pillows, steaming hot water soon after turning the tap on and having to climb into a tub to shower, well that is just the way their bathrooms are until they see perhaps a major modernization sometime soon.
The best impression I got from the restaurant. When going to dinner some wine and cheese tasting had been set up and one John cheerfully filled the glasses of diners - and was surprised when I only took a dash of red and then filled the rest of my glass with water.
Both dinner and breakfast were on buffet set up, good quality food, a wide variety of choices, plenty of salads for dinner, a cheese board even, tempting deserts and several hot dishes meeting surely every expectation from vegetarian to white to red meats.
The breakfast buffet too was offering a good spread from cereals to fruits to cold cuts and hot dishes, but it was the range of breads which impressed me (as did the chipolatas filled with cheese). The breakfast cook, one lady called Anne, responded instantly to some culinary talk while preparing my omelette, a sign that the staff were queued in and not just performing a 'job'.
Not bad overall for a night's stay BUT, two observations.
I had left word that I was expecting a visitor to pick up some tea I brought from home as I headed for dinner, and the visitor came and left again as I could 'not be found' - perhaps my fault for not giving them my phone number to call me, if at all they would have done that. Why, I asked myself, did I then bother to mention that to the reception when it had clearly fallen on deaf ears.
And on check out, the first staff I approached asked me all the details, looked at his computer screen, then at me again, and then, while turning away told me to see his colleague at the other end of the reception ... and he left my key card with the card pocket laying there too, so I had to go back to retrieve it ... THAT was a low point in attitude and his colleagues, when they realised what happened, did exchange a few pointed words in their own language, expressing no doubt their displeasure. Voila, I came, I stayed and I went, shuttle bus both ways on the house, delivered to the right terminal on departure.

Room Tip: The double glazing keeps the noise out and as I guess all rooms are the same, no special recommendat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Safariafficionado,

Thank you for providing us with some valuable feedback on areas where we need to improve.

We will take this up with the relevant Departments.

We hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Under normal circumstances this would rate three or four stars. However, on the night I stayed there the power failed, meaning no water or lifts, and had not been restored when I checked out in the early morning.
It was still dark when I prepared to leave the hotel, so re-packing was a challenge. There were no emergency lights or emergency exit signs in the corridors and the emergency plans behind the room door were not "self illuminating". These are serious safety issues.
After carrying my suitcase from the third floor down the litter strewn emergency stairs, and struggling round the small path to the front of the hotel, the staff seemed to think it was all very funny; I did not.
The hotel staff claimed it was an Eskom fault. However, the lights were all on at adjoining buildings. Anyway, if it really was an Eskom fault, why was there no emergency generator? Lack of management or lack of maintenance?
In addition, my room was quite noisy, and I was woken several times by people in the corridor or adjoining rooms due to poor sound insulation.
To end on a positive note, the check in staff were friendly, the restaurant was good, and my bed was comfortable. However, those positives in no way compensate for being unable to shower, charge my phone, connect to the internet, or even being able to see in my room.
The last time I stayed in this hotel was when it was a Holiday Inn in the 1970s. It shows its age in places. I will never attempt to stay there again.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
1  Thank Ian T

Dear Ian T

Thank you for proving us with some areas where we need to improve.

We did experience a power outage and other Hotels down the road also experienced the same problem with City Power / Eskom.

Please get in to contact with me should you wish to return one day - louis.botha@tsogosun.com