Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
$129
Protea Hotels
$74
Agoda.com
African Rock Hotel(Kempton Park)
$283
$124
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
1,597 results
All reviewstsogo sunclose to the airportshuttle busshuttle serviceroom servicebuffet dinnergreat airport hotelenjoyed my staylong flightstayed here for one nightcape townshort stayovernight stayjohannesburg airporthome away from homebetween flightssouth africa
Reviewed January 24, 2008

This is my second stay at this hotel and my stay was just fantastic. The staff were exceptionally friendly and obviously knew that I had stayed previously and welcomed me back like it was yesterday. I had the pleasure of staying for 3 nights this time as I had numerous meetings I was attending in the area. Had breakfast and dinner in Bernoullis Restaurant which really offered a wide variety and selection, particularly for a fussy eater like myself. I also made use of the hotel's gym which has really fantastic equipment and the gym was exceptionally clean. I decided to pamper myself and treat myself to a massage and a manicure at the salon in the hotel - it was the best. I can't wait to return to this hotel ...... hopefully very soon.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2008

In my previous review of this hotel, I failed to mention the absolutely lovely landscaping. It's beautiful all around, but on one side of the hotel, opposite the car park, there is an exquisite little garden where you can sit and hardly know that you are in the city, or next to the airport. A very peaceful retreat amidst the bustle.
And I have noticed that some folks didn't find out about the a la carte menu. I only found out because I asked where I could go to get lunch, and they gave me the menu which is quite extensive, with full meals, nibbles, burgers and sandwiches, and the food is great with a lovely presentation. You can get that for lunch in the bar area, and also for supper instead of the buffet.
I will post some pictures of the garden later if I find them - 3 months of photos that I expected to be in chronological order so I could know where each one was taken, didn't end up being so organised. But I know I took some as I was anxious to see if I could find out what some of the flowers and grasses were, and if they were available here in Canada.
*** Previous review ***
I stayed here twice while passing through the Jozie airport.
The rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable with a bit more space than I'd had other places. Pillows are the best in S Africa, food at buffet is pretty good. Staff are helpful and friendly. Views mostly not spectacular, but after all, this is an airport hotel so you don't really expect views.
Plumbing has some distinct weirdness about it though, which is not unusual in SA. Theirs depends on the room, except I think all the shower heads are very low. I'm just 5'7" but could barely get under the shower. If you are tall you might have to shower on your knees. Toilets both hard to flush, one toilet sitting up on a cement built up part.
The food odours do get around a bit due to the open plan, but not a serious situation.
They also have a really nice wine and cheese tasting - free - some afternoons, but don't know the exact schedule.
The 'cons' are not really big deals - I'd stay there anytime I was passing through Jozie airport.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cybercrone
Reviewed November 18, 2007

I travel quite extensively and was pleasantly surprised to find a hotel of this standard in such close proximity to the airport. I didn't need to catch a cab to find a hotel I am accustomed to normally
found far away from the airport - I simply used the hotel shuttle. The staff were very friendly and most helpful and really made me feel welcome. What was really a nice touch was the wine and cheese the hotel provides for the guests checking in, in the evening. It's not everyday one gets something for nothing. I could tell the hotel is very popular and the foyer was buzzing with people and activity, not only when I arrived but also when I went down for a drink in the bar. The room was exceptionally comfortable and I could tell it had been recently renovated, with the most comfortable bed and pillows!!! Will definitely be back when in Johannesburg again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KyraMichigan
Reviewed October 27, 2007

The hotel served as a stopover night on my way out of Jo'burg to Cape Town.

I had some difficulty finding the (complimentary) hotel shuttle from the airport as there's lots of construction going on in the airport. Just remember that it's right behind the Parkade.

Check-in was smooth, got the non-smoking room that I wanted. The room was well-kept, amenities decent and the beddings much better than expected. In fact, I would say the room itself looks better than the lobby and check-in area!

Only problem is that there's not much of a room service menu. There is only one restaurant downstairs that serves a buffet - not a great idea if all you want is a light meal. We ended up going back to the domestic terminal as there was a tad more variety.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank foost
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I stayed here one night on a stopover between Maun, Botswana, and Windhoek, Namibia.

The shuttle connection was convenient and efficient. On arrival at the hotel, it was nice to be welcomed with a glass of wine and the checkin staff were friendly. The room was spacious and comfortable.

I particularly appreciated the chance to get some laundry done, superfast and at a reasonable price.

I didn't have the chance to sample the food, so no comments here.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo