“Close to the Airport”

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was very pleased with this hotel. It was easy to get to. To take the shuttle from the Joburg airport to the Southern Sun OR, just keep going straight out of the airport from the customs/immigration. There is a ramp from the main floor of the airport so you can easily take a luggage cart up the ramp and exit the airport. From there you go straight across as there is a sidewalk provided to the departure area for waiting hotel shuttles. I waited about 10 minutes and after the shuttle arrived (really a van with a small trailer) in less than 10 minutes I was at the hotel.

The front desk staff was very helpful. Beverages are provided as you enter the lobby and I appreciated that as I was really thirsty from the overseas flight. I found the rooms to be spacious and quiet even though I was close to the hotel. The restaurant is very good but always seemed busy and crowded. There was plenty of seating so I never had to wait. Service is very good at the restaurant.

Check was quick and I waited just a few minutes for the shuttle to take me back to the hotel. If you want a clean, close to the airport and above average hotel, this is place that I recommend.

Room Tip: You can easily book online.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TexasRR
JohanvanHeerden, General Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Dear TexasRR

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful buffet that now also incorporates themed evenings such as Asian, South African BBQ and Mediteranian. I look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you our way again.

Regards

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a night on our way to Mozambique from the U.S. The hotel is very close to the airport and has a free shuttle which is very convenient. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The best part was the dinner buffet, a great collection of desserts as well as salads and main courses.

We had some challenges connecting to the Internet. The price is also a litle steep. But otherwise, we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Porjotok

Thank you for your response. A quick tip on lowering the accomodation rate is to book via the internet where you get an automatice 5% off our best available rate. Our chef has also just revisted the desserts on offer and I assure you they are now even better. I look forward to wlecoming you back in future

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had to overnight on two separate dates and we chose this property; we had a wonderful stay. Front Desk Staff, Restaurant Staff, Housekeeping and everyone was super cordial and very helpful. Service was very good, Breakfast excelent, rooms very confortable, good size, great bed, nice bathroom, great amenities, no noise from the airport near by and the shuttle service prompt, on time and very convenient. You may also take advantage of the airport shuttle service and visit the Emperor´s Palace ( a mini Las Vegas near by) by being droped at the Airport and from there you take the shuttle that Emperor´s Palace offers from the airport to their facilities. Upon return just do the same. It will take you about 20 minutes the entire journey. I would definitively stay at this property again. I recommend it!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thanks for your response. At Southern Sun we pride ourselves on creating memories for travellers and I am glad our staff managed to make an impression on you.

Regards

Reviewed July 26, 2011

The free express shuttle plus wine & cheese (in the lobby) welcome make this a good choice for weary international flyers waiting for their (next day) connections. The room was quite nice and NO air traffic noise was noted. The food in their restaurant was very good with lots of options.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Southern Sun near the airport is a mixture of modern and cozy. Starting with glace facade it create an air of modernity. But the interiors has the air of tranquility.The bar and dining areas are good places to hang out. The chef even prepared special meal for us as we were entertaining guests and there was also a poolside barbeque. The outdoor pool is supposed to be heated but we were just staying overnight so never used it. The gym is small but well equipped. The rooms spacious stereotypical. The hotel offer free airport pick up and drop.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The location is great (just a few mins from the airport) but i hesitate to say its value for the money you pay. The breakfast and dinner buffets were very good though, but I am used to free internet and at least a bath in the room when paying 200+ for a night in a hotel and the gym is VERY small, with no Sauna or health facilities, but if the location to the airport is the most important and you are transiting, its the cheapest option

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2011

we stayed in june and july, the staff was excellent, helpful and friendly. the restaurant was very good with a variety of well prepared food and great service. our room was recently renovated and very up to date and comfortable. i would definitely return if in the area. it is convenient to the airport, johannesburg and soweto which we visited. the tour guide recommended by the hotel "lindy" was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple