“A nice start in South Africa”
Review of One World Hotel

One World Hotel
Ranked #30 of 65 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
Bodo, Norway
“A nice start in South Africa”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was the perfect start on a trip through South Africa. The staff took good care of us, and the trips were wonderfull. Bouth Soweto and the bike-tour in Alex made big impressions and I realy recommend those trips.

Silje, Norway

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel arranged a trip around Jo´burg, visiting city center, soccer city with a guided VIP tour, Soweto with a visit to Nelson Mandelas house, the place were Hector Pieterson was killed and finally a 2,5 hour bikeride trough Alexandra - wich made a enormous impression.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Kristine, Norway

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KristineSwan
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight due to the hotels proximity to the airport and found it adequate in light of the price we paid. Rooms are basic and hot water comes and goes, but breakfast is fine and the staff genuinely seem happy to help. Would probably stay again if I'm ever around!

We also organised a tour through the hotel which was fine, although I wouldn't recommend the museum if you want to take your time to see the exhibits. The Soweto tour also brings you to Mandela house and a few other locations but you don't actually get to tour the township.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 1takemesomewhere_
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 15, 2013

They turned single rooms into Triples. They do/didn't have enough blankets or sheets for all their beds. The mattress' were stained ( no really, STAINED). They told us that we should just order out cause the kitchen didn't have the capacity to serve ANY of us. So, I was in a triple room that was actually supposed to be a single. They put my bed in what would be the walk space between the actually room door and bedroom area. It was winter and I had a stained flat sheet and a bed spread (not a blanket but the spread). When I asked for a blanket I was given two more stained flat sheets and told to layer them. Oh, then there's my roommate getting locked in the bathroom because the door knob jammed then fell off. Other woman in our group had to play Macgyver just to get her out. Oh, wait, then there was me coming back after midnight and having the front door to the hotel locked from the inside, so the security guard had to climb through a back window and come down the stairs to let me in, then he had to return to his post outside, in the cold, behind a locked gate. Oh, yes and the cold shower. So apparently they don't turn on the water heater unless they have reservations. Although we called confirming our arrival 5 hrs before we arrived, they waited 3 hrs after we got there to turn on the water heater, that took another 2hrs to heat the water to luke warm. Yeah, no! don't do it to yourself. I'm sure they're other hotels , or insulated cardboard boxes, that would definitely be more hospitable and welcoming. I think this business sprung up around the World Cup and probably has not had more than 10 visitors since. The staff was nice and they tried their best to cover for the poor management. They tried to accommodate our requests and apologized for everything, even what was not in their control but let's face it, it is not their job to buy bedding or food for the guest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Christine-Jean B
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel provided clean rooms and was right by the airport, which was very convenient for us, as we were staying there only one night before heading to Kruger. We felt safe. The service was friendly. That being said, the hotel itself is not luxurious, and the food was not gourmet. It's a fine hotel if you are not expecting that. I would probably stay there again if I was staying at most one night, but would chose something different if I wanted to spend time in Johannesburg.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Philippines
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Definitely worth going back to given the five-star service provided by the hotel staff! My family has been picked up from the airport and assisted all the way back to the airport. Staff have, on many occasions gone out of their way to make the stay really be as comfortable as possible. What the hotel may lack in terms of location or other amenities, it really makes up for these through the very warm hospitality of the hotel team. Kudos!

Tip: Just nicely ask them for any assistance and they will make sure that they do their best to accommodate your request.

Room Tip: Tip: Just nicely ask them for any assistance and they will make sure that they do their best to acco...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Regularly overnighting in Johannesburg close to OR Tambo, OneWorld stands out as the best accommodation I have stayed at. They go out of their way for their guests. The staff is professional and warm and you get a sense that they care about what they are doing. The rooms are large with very high ceilings and clean and the price is excellent. Driving to the airport takes on average seven minutes. However, if you do not have a car, the shuttle service to and from the airport is free, on time and available when you need it. On my last visit, I requested a warm room in the bone-chilling Johannesburg winter and waiting for me was a piping hot electric blanket. Such attention to guests is rare indeed. Thank you to Marieanne, John and OneWorld.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business