“Clean, tasty food, close to airport, but bad wifi”

Premier Hotel OR Tambo
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel has everything going for it, and would have gotten a 4- or 5-star, IF ONLY THE WIFI WORKED properly. This is a business hotel, often used for conferences (as was the case in my visit), and it just boggles the mind that the wireless Internet service it provides is so poor:

First, it uses the annoying voucher system, so you have to keep typing some code to log in whenever you un-suspend or switch access point, and all your open tabs will reload to the voucher gateway and you'll lose your history. Secondly, the hotel staff refuses to give you more than one voucher at a time. Thirdly, each voucher is only good for up to 250MB of data. Fourthly, the connection keeps DROPPING, and access points keep DISAPPEARING. Fifthly, hotel staff refused to even SELL us additional vouchers(!).

Other than that, the rooms are clean, spacious, and pleasant. The in-hotel restaurant makes good food (though the waiters I encountered were underinformed about the menu and had poor comprehension of even simple requests in English), and the breakfast is quite generous and fulfilling. The fruit, as in most places in Africa, is just superb. The restrooms in the conference areas are consistently spotless!

The location is practical, in that it's minutes away from the OR Tambo airport. There is absolutely nothing within walking distance of the hotel, however.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear ABW27,

Good morning to you and we hope that you are very well ?

Many thanks for your constructive and honest feedback, it is truly appreciated.

I would like to apologise for the various incidents that you experienced during your stay with us.

I am truly sorry that the said issues were not brought to our attention during your stay, which would have allowed for us to take immediate corrective action, and furthermore ensuring that your stay would have been a more favourable one.

I would like to let you know that we are not aware of any shortcomings in terms of Wi-Fi, however we will investigate the matter with immediate effect, so that we do not inconvenience anyone else in the future. In addition to this we would like to inform you that we are no longer restricting the issuing of vouchers, within reason.

The matter regarding the waitrons has been addressed with the relevant management, who in turn have re -implemented effective training schedules.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Sefton Cramer.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Needed to stay two nights near the Jo'burg airport in order to gather together friends from the UK who were joining us. Chose this hotel as we had not been very satisfied with the Southern Sun on previous stays, and the InterContinental is expensive and would not budge on price even though we were booking several room nights.

Arrived in the morning from Heathrow and got a taxi instead of walking to and waiting for the shuttle. Hotel is just off the airport grounds in a mostly commercial/industrial area. We were checked in early and efficiently with no problem and found our room was a suite instead of a standard room. Decor of the two rooms was sleek and understated. The living area had a sofa and coffee tables, cabinet with tea and coffee making facilities, good-sized desk, refrigerator and TV with all the usual cable channels.

The lighting system was not very intuitive, and we had to experiment with the various switches to know what we were getting. There was also a hi-tech "do not disturb" system, which I assume was supposed to show a light in the corridor outside. Unfortunately this didn't seem to work as we were interrupted while napping by a maid one afternoon. The free wi-fi was a bonus, as most South African hotels make a charge. Not sure if this was because we were upgraded or not, but it was very welcome.

The bedroom had a door separating it from the sitting area and it was quite roomy, with ample hanging and drawer space, plus a safe in the closet. The heating/AC system (both rooms) was pretty quiet and easy to use. The room was quite cold as it was winter, but soon warmed up. The king-sized bed was fantastic. I can't remember when I have slept in such a comfortable hotel bed; there were pillows of differing hardness, plus very good quality linens. Reasonable bedside lights and heavy curtains to keep out the light. And no airplane noise despite our location.

Bathroom was large with full bath, good-sized walk-in shower with glass door, and two rather modern sinks. Towels were of good quality, as were the toiletries. Water pressure was excellent.

As other reviewers have noted, there is nothing interesting around the hotel, although a couple of our friends took a taxi to a nearby shopping mall where there were restaurants etc. if you wished to eat away from the hotel. The buffet breakfast was more than adequate, with choices for both African and Western tastes and the dining area was comfortable and clean. Eating choices during the day and evening were from bar and a la carte menus, plus a buffet in the evening. The restaurant service was very good. No world-class food here, but reasonably priced and generally better than you would expect. The bar had a decent selection of beers, wines and spirits, and the bar staff were willing, if not enthusiastic.

For some reason, the outside pool was built on the south side of the hotel, so it got hardly any sun, although that might not be a problem in the summer. I understand there is another pool, but I didn't manage to find that. There was a smallish gym on the 4th floor. Treadmills, elliptical, bicycle and free weights were of decent quality. Only problem was that all the equipment faced away from the big TV in the room - not sure why.

The service was excellent overall. We took the shuttle to the airport before we checked out and the driver actually parked the van and led us to the car rental counters so we could pick up our vehicle - that was very much appreciated.

We were very happy with this hotel. It was ideal for a one or two night stay while passing through Johannesburg after or before a long flight. The location just off the airport grounds was not a problem and maybe better than staying in the middle of heavy ground and air traffic. The manager was on site and visible most of the time, and his detailed attention seems to have really paid off.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank marleydog
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Marleydog – Esteemed Customer,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback, it is truly appreciated.

We are truly thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us, however it is evident that we have a few shortcomings in terms of the room lighting system which is somewhat awkward to operate, as well as the matter of the “do not disturb” system, which is not necessarily working as effectively as it should, due to the reason as highlighted in your e-mail.

In addition to this, we would like to let you know that all our esteemed customers, both in terms of conferencing and accommodation receive free Wi-Fi access within the complex.

The issues regarding the challenges of both the lighting and “do not disturb” systems have been discussed with both our front office personnel as well as the ladies in housekeeping, with the intent of minimising the unfortunate incidents that you were exposed to.

We trust you will accept our apologies, and looking forward to your next visit, which we hope will be very soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We needed an overnight hotel before an early morning flight and this one was available through air miles. It is very practically located only 10 min from the terminal. The shuttle service is prompt and starts at 5 am and finishes late. That part works well.
We had a lovely big executive room with 2 double beds for our family of 3. It was clean and tastefully furnished although there were a few things that needed attention. For example, the bathroom door lock didn't work so you couldn't close the door. I also found the beds of a poor quality. Sharing a double bed with my hubby is challenging at the best of times, but in these beds we felt each others every move. In a 4 star I would have liked to see a proper pocket sprung mattress.
Our departure was before breakfast officially started and we were promised a breakfast pack. Sure enough the message wasn't passed on and the chef and morning shift manager knew nothing about it. A quick scramble resulted in us getting a few thrown together packs but they weren't very inspiring. As I said, practical.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mrs Rollingstone 2000,

Good afternoon to you, and we trust that you and your Husband are very well.

Many thanks for your constructive and honest feedback, it is truly appreciated.

I am truly sorry that the said issues were not brought to our attention during your stay, which would have allowed for us to take immediate corrective action, and furthermore ensuring that your stay would have been far more favourable.

Please be advised that we have addressed the issue with reference to the personnel at reception, with positive results to date.

Once again, pleases accept our apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'm spent five days in The Premier Hotel OR Tambo and its been a wonderful experience. The hotel has a real value for money, the staff are courteous and the food is superb. The hotel is quiet, room service is efficient and there are two pools, one in the VIP lounge and another which is african themed. The hotel is also very close to the airport and the internet works just fine. Two disadvantages about the hotel.. 1, it is very far from Johannesburg so if you really wanna see and feel jozi town, you may have to make that 30 minutes drive to town, this could also be an advantage since Kempton park where the hotel is located is relatively safe compared to Jo'burg. 2. The internet is metered, you have only 250mb available for use per day and if you exhaust it, you have to pay to get more. This may be the tradition because I stayed in another hotel and I experienced the same thing. Finally, despite been close to the airport, I do not remeber been disturbed by the noise of landing or taking off planes

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were the same, I think the differences are just deluxe rooms and double rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kayode Y
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Kayode Y,

Good morning to you, and we trust that you are very well.

Many thanks for your very honest, and positive feedback it is truly appreciated.

Whilst I fully agree that we are +- 30 minutes’ drive to the centre of Johannesburg, we are however in a fortunate position to offer you a professional shuttle service, at a nominal fee.

The matter concerning the Wi-Fi voucher has been discussed, and we have agreed that in the event that a guest requires an additional voucher within the period of a day, this too would be on a complimentary basis.

Once again many thanks for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo International Airport.

Regards
Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo International Airport

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Mandy and I spent less than 12 hours at the Premier OR Tambo but this was long enough for a very good nights sleep and a good breakfast before travelling onwards.

We had arrived into Joburg from Amsterdam at 9.15 pm after leaving Birmingham at 6am that morning. Following customs clearance and luggage collection we went to the shuttle bus pick up point and waited 15 minutes for the half hourly bus. Ten minutes after that we were at hotel reception and after a very quick and efficient check in we were in a well appointed and spacious room ready for a good nights sleep before departing on the 8am shuttle bus the following morning. The sleep was not a problem in a comfortable bed and we heard no airport noise. Next morning we rose in time for a very good breakfast before departing exactly on time for our onward flight.

The Premier was very competitively priced against other alternatives and I would certainly recommend for those needing a stopover at the airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Gary and Mandy,

Good morning to both of you, and we trust you are well.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your very short time with us, and in addition to this would like to thank you for your very kind words, which is truly appreciated.

Once again many thanks, and we hope you had a pleasant onward flight.

Regards
Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo International Airport

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Background: My wife, 5 year old daughter, and I traveled to South Africa for a month. We stayed in 10 different places and did as many activities as we could. My wife is a travel agent and I work over the internet. We travel a lot and when it comes to writing a review, we consider everything that we can. (Cost, Description, Time of Year, Location, etc.)

I write this review as I currently sit in room 323.

When taking the shuttle from the airport to the hotel for one night, the shuttle drive and a coworker were in the front seats talking. My family were the only passengers. During the “casual conversation" between the two coworkers, S*#^ was said. Not in the heat of the moment because of another driver, but a reaction to what the drivers coworker said. It was like s*#^ was a response, not his reaction to something crazy that the coworker said. My wife and I looked at each other and then our daughter. She was non the wiser but not at great start for the hotel.

We where only staying here because we were coming from Cape Town and didn’t want to make both flights in the same day. We didn’t leave the property as we didn’t have a car and the area is a little sketchy as most properties around airports are. All this to say, we eat two meals at the hotel’s bar.

As a side note, the long flight to Atlanta would have been no problem and we should have just pushed on through with but flights. We took Mango Air from Cape Town and was blown away with the new aircraft and staff. Great experience. The flight to Johannesburg from Atlanta on Delta was equally painless considering the almost 15 hour timeline.

I’ll make this short and sweet. We ordered three meals for dinner, two of those meals where straight up(no substitutes) and the third meal has one slight change. Easy order basically. The waiter didn’t write the order down, and consequently, one of the orders was never put in; at all. I understand things happen but writing it down would have been a lot easier and probably avoided the problem all together.

When the bill came, I tipped a little more than 10%, which is customary in South Africa. The waiter(that messed up the order) asked me to pay the tip in cash. I didn’t have cash and he said to take the tip off. Your reading the last sentence right. I asked him why and he told be that he doesn’t get the tip. On my way to the room, I stopped by the front desk and spoke to the manager who informed me that the tips from the bar and restaurant are pooled and every 3 months the money is disrupted across the maids, front desk staff, cooks, and waiters/bartenders. This sounds dumb to me and explains why the waiter wanted cash(no sharing). I felt really uncomfortable with this info and told the manager that they should rethink this and it may provide better service for the hotels patrons.

Not to sound like a broken record, the next day we had lunch and the same place, different waiter, same result. Didn’t write the order down and two of the three orders where wrong. I spoke to another manager about the pervious nights experience and he apologized and took one of the meals off. I’m not sure why both waiters didn’t write the order down but it seems like a training issue from the management.

For the record, the food was good but the experience ruined it.

Aside from our experience at the bar and the cursing shuttle driver, the place seems to be good. You get 250MB of free internet, a separate couch area, bathrooms are very nice, huge desk in the living room area.Feather pillows(which I’m not a fan of) is the only other complaint even though the bed was super comfortable. Then again, I haven’t checked out yet so there maybe a follow up to this review.

The hotel charges half of your nightly rate for a late checkout which we did and took advantage of two TVs and several movie channels.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
PremierHotelsSocial, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your constructive feedback, and please accept my apologies for the challenges experienced in the restaurant, as well as the unacceptable vocabulary used between two of my Associates.

Please be assured that the necessary corrective training measures will be taken to prevent a recurrence.

I trust that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Premier Hotel O.R. Tambo in the not too distant future, and indeed should this be the case, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With sincerest regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I arrived in Johannesburg enroute to begin my vacation but had to stay overnight. Though I had to wait a little for the hotel shuttle, it came exactly as scheduled (30 minutes after each hour) and whisked me to the hotel. Reception was friendly and helpful, the room was very well appointed, and WiFi worked well. Unfortunately the heat was not working in my first room but management quickly assisted me to move to a different room. I ordered room service for dinner; it was delicious and was delivered very quickly. Breakfast before departure was well presented and had enough food variety for almost any palate. Again the shuttle was quick and efficient (departing the hotel on the hour) and I was able to begin my vacation with no stress. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone transiting Johannesburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Premier O, General Manager at Premier Hotel OR Tambo, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2014

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Good day to you, and we hope that you are very well.

We would like to thank you for your very kind words, it is truly appreciated.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us.

Once again, many thanks for your positive feedback, and looking forward to your next visit, which we trust will be soon.

Should you need to contact us for anything whatsoever in the future, please may we kindly ask you to do so, so that we may assist you accordingly.

May we wish both you and your Family, a Safe and Blissful Festive Season and an Unbelievable 2015.

Sefton Cramer.