If you need to spend a night close to Johannesburg airport you have three viable options:
1) Pay an absolute fortune for the Intercontinental which is directly outside the arrivals hall.
2) Pay a bit less for one of the many hotels nearby and wait at best 5 minutes or at worst a lot longer for a shuttle bus, which you must check is complimentary as not all of them are, and then have a 5 to 25 minute ride to and from the airport or
3) Stay here. It is a well-signposted 5 minute walk through the parking garage, past the car rental counters beyond the Intercontinental. You can push your luggage trolley all the way to the dedicated hotel elevators and you will be in your hotel room before most people have even found the obscurely-placed hotel shuttle stop.
Service is fine, there is a decent restaurant and the 24-hour food shops of the hotel are just that short walk away. The rooms are excellent, still brand new and plenty of room for luggage. Even the most finicky traveller like me will be satisfied with the cleanliness of the bathroom. The value for the location and product is really spectacular and I only hope the prices don't escalate when people start to realise what a great prospect for a stopover hotel this is.
The only weakness is that there is no double-glazing but since there are very few flights to OR Tambo between 23h00 and 06h00 this is not terrible, and even then the runway is quite a way away. If you are concerned about this ask for an even-numbered room as these face the other way. If you are interested in plane spotting go for an odd-numbered room as high up as you can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Based at Africa’s busiest airport, City Lodge at OR Tambo Airport will provide business and leisure travellers with “home away from home” accommodation that is ideal for those commuting to and from Johannesburg and perfect for those who require immediate access to the airport. OR Tambo Airport offers a number of services from banking to a wide range of retailers, so whether it’s a good book or a scrumptious meal, the airport’s facilities have everything you need. The hotel boasts boardroom and conference facilities, a fitness room as well as a deck with a pool and a large commercial area with a coffee shop. Rooms • Spacious air-conditioned room with queen or twin beds • Flat screen Television (MNet and DSTV) – Satellite channels offering exciting sport, breaking news and great movies. • En-Suite Bathroom with bath and separate shower. • Tea and coffee making facilities • Wireless Internet Access available in all rooms • Electronic safe large enough to accommodate a laptop • Desk with great lighting and plugs for easy connectivity • Telephone Breakfast: At City Lodge our breakfasts are legendary. Choose between a scrumptious Full English or Continental breakfast (buffet style) in the hotel’s spacious breakfast area. Coffee Shop: City Lodge at OR Tambo Airport will have a coffee shop offering guests a comprehensive menu with hot and cold food choices ranging from salads, to wraps, to tremazzinis all the way to hearty soups. Bar: The hotel boasts a comfortable bar to enjoy the evening or wait for your next flight. Facilities • Boardroom Facilities – Roadlodge, our 8 Seater Meeting Room and Townlodge, our 12 seater Boardroom - includes flat screen television with laptop connectivity and wireless internet access. • Conference Facility – Courtyard A, seats 22 people. Courtyard B seats 24 people, combined with the option to be shared to create one room – seats up to 46 people. • Safe and secure underground parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- City Lodge Or Tambo Airport Hotel Kempton Park