“Perfect Pit Stop”

City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a great hotel and a welcome respite after a long journey.

My flight to Johannesburg was 6.5 hours late, arriving at midnight instead of 5:30pm. I had long missed my connecting flight to Cape Town, was completely worn out, and just wanted to find someplace safe to catch a few hours of sleep before my flight the next morning. This was my first time in Joburg, and I had no idea where to go.

As I walked into the arrivals hall looking for an ATM, I saw the "hotel" sign, and literally just followed it in to the City Lodge. I was worried that the rate would be exorbitant since I had no reservation, but it was very reasonable. The room was small, but immaculately clean, with a large bathroom and a great shower that felt like heaven after 22 hours of hard traveling.

I asked for a quiet room, and was given one facing an inner courtyard. I never heard a sound. The room had plenty of plugs, with sockets for both European round pin and UK-style plugs. This was especially helpful, as I hadn't yet realized South Africa has a totally different plug that I didn't have an adapter for (but thankfully they are very easy to find). I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again, and am very grateful that there is an option like this right in the airport!

One word of caution: ATM thieves are working the Johannesburg airport - Never let anyone approach you while at an ATM! This is true anywhere in the world, but as I discovered especially true in South Africa, including right outside the secure international arrivals area, which is where I was. There are even messages on the welcome screen warning you about people offering help. If an ATM isn't acting right or gives you trouble, immediately get your card back and walk away.

The ATM I used was having trouble, and not responding quickly. That's when a very well-dressed, helpful person suddenly appeared and offered to show me what to do. I was just tired enough that I (very stupidly) let my guard down and paid attention to him. While momentarily distracted, he slipped a skimming device in the machine, which got my pin number. The next day he made 2 withdraws of 2,000 Rand each (just under US$500), which is the daily limit my bank allows. Thankfully I was suspicious afterwards and logged in to check my balance. I got the account shut down before he got any more money, but of course it was quite a hassle and I wasn't able to get cash for the rest of my stay. The thief was well-dressed, well-spoken, and very professional, which just proves the warning message is correct - Do not let anyone help you at an ATM!

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the corridor that face an inner courtyard don't have any kind of view but ar...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UsaTravelinfool
There are newer reviews for City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport

Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was the most fantastic solution for us - after a long flight from Brazil, waiting at JHB for 15 hours before heading out to Perth we were exhausted. Being able to walk to this hotel from the Airport (really well signed/though the inside of the terminal) was so convenient. We didn't have a booking but the lady we dealt with at reception quickly arranged something for us and was so friendly!

Instead of paying for a full night, with breakfast, we took their day rate which was just on R600 - from 9am until 5pm. We asked for a quiet room (so we could sleep) and it was perfect.. crashed for 5 hours in blissful silence. The room was surprisingly spacious with a large bathroom (bath & shower).

You get 15 mins free wifi, and can pay for more. They have a pool (not suitable for laps), lounge, cafe and the airports literally a 7 min walk.

The hotel was really tastefully done (no direct impact as such but is worth mentioning) and super clean.

Again, the staff were fantastic - such a friendly country :)

For anyone with a long stay over in JHB, this place is perfect.. get horizontal and have a hot shower!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - we were in 3223 and it was lovely.. It was at the end of the corridor, so awa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed overnight at City Lodge airport hotel in May after our 14 hour flight from Sydney and it was perfect for this purpose. The next day we were flying up to Zimbabwe and we were glad we had booked for the night with breakfast prior to our arrival. It is in the airport building and felt safe after arriving in the busy terminal. I would have liked a bit better signage to help us find it but once we sorted this out it was just what we needed.

The staff were all very professional and courteous. It was convenient, inexpensive, modern and clean. We had a nice light meal in the restaurant in the evening, slept well and then an excellent breakfast in the morning before our connecting flight to Zim.

The size of the room might be considered a little small by some people but for the purpose of a stopover it is adequate. I would highly recommend it for a stopover for its convenience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012 and it is an ideal location for the business traveller due to its convenient location, meeting rooms and work stations in individual rooms. The staff were very pleasant. I have certain dietary requirements and the breakfast staff went the extra mile to ensure that my food was prepared accordingly.
I would definately recommend this hotel for a transit stop or business travel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Exactly what is says on the box. A one night over stop for travelers connecting over night at ORT. Bright, clean, cheerful rooms. Should like to see them tier rates per hour to accommodate short stays .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed here in September 2010 and plan a return trip September 2012. I found this hotel an ideal transit stop over. To access the hotel you walk through the multistory car park and not being far I would recommend any luggage not on wheels to use a trolly. The hotel was clean and new, Staff were attentive and our room was more than adequate. After being in a tented safari for 10 days the bathroom was pure luxury. Dinner at the cafe was nice, not 5 star but very reasonable price. Breakfast buffet was great.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

With clean, newly built rooms that offer everything you need, without a bus ride, this is my choice for transit stays at OR Tambo. Easy to get on the Gautrain as well for dinner in Sandton as the food is slightly lacking.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business