“Just about adequate”

Life Hotels Airport Johannesburg
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here on way to Malawi. It's convenient for such a stop-over as it is close to the airport...free shuttle is available. Too close to the airport as the noise of aircraft interfered with sleep....I suppose that was to be expected. Rooms adequate with all usual facilities. Was looking forward to a dip in the pool. However, had to abort that plan as the water was dirty with a greenish algae-type colouration on the bottom. Most of my friends ( 11 of us ) were happy with the food for dinner in the restaurant. I had "surf 'n turf" which was average. Chocolate fondant followed and this was excellent. Delays in getting food to the table were unacceptable. Staff were friendly and apologetic. There was a good choice for breakfast. Management need to pay attention to the cleanliness of the pool and to the delays in food preparation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We found this an excellent choice for what we wanted - a short shuttle after a long tiring flight to a safe place, with a clean room, good food, friendly staff and free internet connection. It allowed us to recharge before proceeding on a long road journey the next day. It was exactly what we needed at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Hotel didn't suit our demands. Although close to the airport, still needed a shuttle to go there. Feeling a bit precarious when arriving there during the evening. Rooms were spacious but not clean. Non-defined hair in the sink. Terrible night. Seemed that planes landed in the backyard of the hotel. In addition, the noise of the closeby highway was even worse. Breakfast was ok. Due to reasonable price and good shuttle facilities rated 2 instead of 1 'tripadvisor bullet'.

Room Tip: Please avoid rooms at the highway side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Would only suggest this hotel if you have to only sleep between a late night and early morning flight or tour connection. The hotel rooms are very small and comparable to inside staterooms on a cruise ship in terms of size. The bathrooms are also very small and the glass door of my bathroom required strong muscles to open and shut.
The location is not the most desirable and I would not reccomend leaving the hotel premises unless in a secure car.
The staff are very customer oriented an example being replying to my email queries very promptly. They were also very helpful on site. The hotel needs a major makeover as well.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I attended a function held at the Aviator Life Hotel on Saturday. I was planning on booking the venue for 3 upcoming functions for my business. This is what I experienced. There wasn't enough food for the 200+ guests - more than half of the guests left not having any food!! the little food there was - was awful. There was only three starters per table of 10 guests and only one knife per table. There wasn't enough cups for the coffee and we had to stand outside in the freezing cold only not to be able to even get a cup of coffee let alone a plate of food!! there wasn't juice at one stage - then no glasses were available when the juice eventually arrived. I went 5 times to try and get something warm to drink and eat - but had nothing! When I went to the toilet all the ladies were complaining there was no toilet paper and the hand towel was finished!!! Everyone was disgusted and the staff was extremely unhelpful and arrogant. Unfriendliness everywhere and most unhelpful! Will definitely not hold my functions at this shocking venue!!!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sandy P
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My friend found a deal for this hotel on Booking.com and we stayed here the night before our flight. The service was polite and professional at the reception desk. They let us hang out even though we checked out of our rooms at 10am and arranged their shuttle to take us to the airport for our flight in the afternoon. Wifi worked well in our room on the 4th floor--get plenty of wifi vouchers from reception. Our room was spacious with a comfortable bed and great hot shower. They had a very nice breakfast buffet that was included in the room rate--very good coffee as well! My friends vouch for the pizza (from 54 ZAR) and chicken sandwich (74 ZAR) at the restaurant. Skip the vegetarian pasta dish--not that flavorful. There is a ShopRite nearby and my friend walked there during the day time, but it was not recommended that we walk there after dark. Overall, the $70USD/room we paid was a good deal considering the location near the airport, free round-trip airport transfer, good wifi, comfortable rooms, and very nice breakfast. Would recommend this place if you need a place to relax and reliable wifi before a long international flight!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bethhess00
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel is ok for a very budget option close to the airport especially as they can arrange free airport transports (not airport connected just nearby). The reception (photo shown on the website) is nice and the airline theme is clever but the hotel rooms are very basic and I really wouldn't want to spend more than a night there. The shower is a rain shower so hard not to get your hair wet and there is no door or curtain so the water floods the bathroom. You can't really walk to anything nearby but there is a bar and restaurant with limited menu options in the hotel. No obvious room service menu or anything although the website says there is room service. Must say though the staff were lovely. In particular one of the female managers who was particularly helpful.

BUT MISLEADING WIFI PROMISES
The website is also VERY misleading about wifi. I specifically booked a hotel that included free wifi so I could skype with home etc and while it is true you get free wifi it is only up to a very small limit (250mb or something) so it was not really usable. A communal computer is available in the lobby but not suitable for skyping family or for long periods. Additional access can be purchased but it is usually free at these kind of places. I would have rebooked at a different hotel except I had already arranged a pick up etc.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Sunrock Guesthouse
#2 of 27 in Kempton Park
2 mi away
Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport

Been to Life Hotels Airport Johannesburg? Share your experiences!