“Just the place to stay”

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Just the place to stay”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The staff were very helpfull. The service was excellent, and above all when I travel to Johannesburg / East Rand this is the place I will stay in again. The food was plentyfull and very tasty.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is a good place for an overnight stay near OR Tambo Airport (JNB), as it is close to the airport and the hotel offers a free shuttle. It is reasonably quiet for its location. The decor is hip and modern, with an aeronautical theme. The rooms are spacious, clean, with very comfortable beds and nice linens. The hotel offers on-site laundry service, as well as free internet in their business office. If you book on-line, you can also get a bed & breakfast rate, which includes a modest breakfast buffet in their on-site restaurant.

I stayed here two times in September 2011. The first time was excellent, they picked me up at the airport without any problems. The seconf time, they forget to pick me up and I had to call them to come get me (1 hour later). Their computer in the business office was also not working the 2nd visit. However, they made up for it by taking me to the local mall with their free shuttle. Overall, it is a good hotel, but they could stand to polish up their reservation system a little. When I booked on line, I did not get a confident feeling that my booking was confirmed at the rate I expected and had to follow up with them by e-mail to make sure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank EisBaer
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel is a good and affordable option for those looking to stay over by the airport. We stayed here the night we landed in Jo'burg before leaving for our safari next day and then again after our SA trip came to an end before catching our flight home next day. It's no frills but importantly the rooms were clean. Reception was polite. However, we found it amusing that there were 6-8 staff just standing behind the reception when the hotel never seemed busy. Staff was helpful although it was also amusing that both times we stayed there two people would help with the bags with one person carrying one bag each for us. Admittedly, the food and service at the restaurant were very good and way above our expectations.

One thing that can be improved is the airport shuttle coordination. Emailed them 2 wks before our arrival date and informed them of our flight and arrival time. The hotel confirmed it, but we waited for about 15 mins at the arrival hall and they didn't show up. We called the hotel and they said they would send the shuttle rightaway. We waited for only 10 mins so that was ok. The second time when we were going to stay at the hotel again before our flight out of the country the next day. We needed an airport pickup again this time from the domestic terminal. Figured that they don't do well with a 2-wk advance shuttle arrangement, I deliberately only called them 3 hrs before our arrival time. They confirmed it. Our flight was delayed but when we got to the arrival hall, they still weren't there. We waited for awhile and decided to call again. They said they are going to send the shuttle rightaway. It came within 10 mins. Although the wait for the shuttle was short from the time we called them, we should never have had to make that call in the first place because it was already confirmed prior. This scenario happened twice for both different night we stayed there. We asked the pickup person who came to meet us if they were delayed or something, and she said she didn't know? They need to figure out better coordination for this pickup service.I suggest for hotel guests to give them a call when you are actually at the arrival hall if you dont see them even if the hotel has confirmed your pickup.

Another lack of communication between the staff was when the night before checkout, we requested for late checkout at noon and she said it was ok. The next morning we reminded the reception again just to be sure (it was a different staff on schedule) and she didn't know anything about it and said they would have to charge us if we checked out after 11am. After she learnt that our flight was in the late afternoon, she said we could checkout at noon (as originally arranged the night before) without being charged. So basically no prior note was made in their system. Better in-staff coordination and communication is needed.

Overall, this hotel is a good option and the staff does try their best and we've had good service here but there is room for improvement on the communication side.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terinay
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed October 1, 2011

It will give you anything you need: a clean room and bed, a breakfast and free airport transfer. The restaurant is good too. But two things were disturbing: the staff was overcharged when there were three people trying to check in at the same time. Second: they will provide you with a Voucher for free WiFi use but WiFi will work in lobby and restaurant only, not in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Martin J
County Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The free airport transfers are extremely efficient.

Staff were very welcoming and, although I arrived at 9am, a room was made available for me almost immediately. The hotel is not much to look at externally but the bedrooms (I was in the main hotel and not the annex) are nicely decorated and clean with a very comfortable bed.

I had lunch and dinner in the restaurant and was more than satisfied with the menu and the quality of food. Breakfast is included in the rate and there was a cooked option available.

All in all, incredibly good value if you are transiting.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Aviator is a really nice place if you are looking for a stop over hotel close to JoBurgs airport. It has all the flair you come to expect from a modern, hip place and the staff is just lovely!! Free (fast) wifi, free shuttle, free breakfast, etc. The water in the big pool was a little cold though.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Vineproever
Zimbabwe
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I had problems to book on line and so phoned through my reservation. I then discovered that would be 40% extra !! I explained the problem to the manager by e-mail and they promptly gave me a credit. There are two hotels in the same group ( Life Hotels ) facing each other across a narrow street. The Aviator is a bit more up-market than the OR Tambo , which seems to be a block of flats converted. Its rooms are quite odd therefore in lay-out. However the noise wasnt too bad ( how to avoid it as it is pretty close ). Staff were nice and friendly, food was OK . The only gripe I have was that the airport transfers are not well co-ordinated. The VERY poor signs inside the OR Tambo Airport itself are hopeless: cant understand how such a new airport has such lousy directions inside the complex.

Room Tip: book on line only.