“Amazing place! Quiet and cozy!”

Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel
Reviewed February 9, 2014

After a long trip I got to Terrylin and felt completely at home!
I was pleasantly surprised! Very comfortable place, Fully equipped, quiet and great facilities!
I stayed in the Double room with private ensuite, the room was very clean, nice and warm
Almost did not want to leave it! :)
The staff was very welcoming and helpful at all issues food, tours and transfers.
Loved it!
Not expensive, suitable for families, couples and backpackers!
Def will come back on my next stay in Jo'burg :)

(The room is very neat, just on the picture my stuff is laying around everywhere)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you, Evelyn, for your wonderful review and rating.

I hope we see you again if you return to South Africa to study.

All the very best.

Steven and Joy.

There are newer reviews for Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here on my own once s well as with 5 members of my family onan other. We were all very happy. The place is undoubtedly clean, Joyce and steeve are very helpful. Arrangements can be made easily for a taxi which, beeing this close to the airport, is quite convenient. I definitely recommend this guesthouse! !

Room Tip: All rooms are good. There are no dorms for individual travellers i think but the twin room is cheap!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you, Alain, for your great review. It was really a pleasure having you and your family here.

Also, thank you for the Belgian chocolate you gave me. I really enjoyed this.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed here 5 nights to prepare the rest of our trip (10 months traveling around the world) and it was perfect for us.

We came here because it was apparently not the style of Backpacker where everyone is beautiful, everyone is nice, but no one does the dishes, cleans the table ... basically, here, there no "travelers" who need their mom!
To solve the problem, the owners have decided to remove the option of cooking: here, there is only a microwave available, a kettle to make a cup of coffee or tea (soup) when desired, grids -bread for breakfast (tea, coffee, milk, biscuits) and a fridge. We were surprised but Steeve reassured us by saying we could be delivered full of something to eat here. And honestly, it's okay to meet a few days (price / quality / quantity)

I read a review that Steeve was not honest. I find it hard to believe as it was helpful to us.

So sure, if you are a backpacker looking to party and visit Johannesburg without taking a taxi, it is not the best. But if you look above all the tranquility and proximity to the airport do not hesitate.

In any case, we will stay here for our last night before our flight.
...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was really a pleasure having you both here, and we look forward to seeing you in a months time.

Steven and I wish you all the best on your further travels through Africa.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Not a bad place. Well situated, ample space around the house. A bit old, the furniture. The beds were terrible, far too soft, slept in a pit. No other visitors, so it was made clear the place would shut down for the day, please leave at ten (our plane went quite a bit later) We will not go back, but other reviews tend to be positive, so maybe it's just us...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

When you 'phoned me, late that afternoon, and enquired about the Family Room, it was already booked, and I could only offer you the dorm room, which I explained was for backpackers. You mentioned that you had noticed the check-out time on the website, but did not mention that you would like to stay until the following night until 22h00.

Had you done so, I would have explained my side and given you the opportunity to find other accommodation. Yes, we closed for the day as the other family had a early departure, and I was expecting late arrivals, so took the opportunity to shop for supplies and honour other pre-arranged appointments.

After you had settled in, and then told me of your flight time. I explained the above and you became very angry and told me you now had to change your plans. This did not depend on my mood. You wife told me she understood, would speak to you, and that everything would be fine.

You mentioned that other reviews tend to be positive, because we do have policies in place, which helps towards the smooth running of Terrylin. This includes our guests understanding our check-in-check out times.

I expected you to write about the furniture and the beds. The furniture serves its purpose in a hostel. Your wife and children told me the next morning that they had slept well, without me asking.

I believe your review may have been more positive if I was able to immediately cancel my plans to suit yours, but unfortunately I could not.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very friendly and nice play to stay near the airport. The rooms are cozy. There´s no heating but the room was reasonably warm despite cold weather. Tea and coffee are available all the time and at breakfast rusks and biscuits are available. There´s no complimentary airport transfer and the taxi charged 150 Rand which is steep for such a short trip. They will help you order food which is delivered. We walked to Premium Hotel for a very nice buffet dinner in the evening. It's only a few hundred meters away and the area is said to be safe. A shop is nearby but we never went there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you, Gert, for your 5 rating and review. We appreciate this.

I agree that the price charged for the taxi was steep. It is best to use the Airport (ORTIA) taxi service who charge around R100 for up to four guests.

It was lovely having you and your family here and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here last June for one night whilst waiting for my connecting flight, travelling on my own. I had paid to sleep in a dorm as I had been misinformed on a travel site that there were same sex dorms available. That was fine. When I emailed, they told me that this was not the case but that there would be noone staying in the dorm with me anyway.

However when I arrived at 10pm, there was a creepy guy that had wandered in and paid to stay in the dorm with me so I paid to be upgraded to get my own room. When I paid (apparently, I couldnt pay the outstanding balance with my debit card - lies!), the guy that works there (Steve?) ripped me off claiming that the exchange rate was completely different to what it was... I knew he was ripping me off but felt threatened as he was standing in my room. There was no internet, he'd switched it off. He then went to get me a receipt and I closed my door to get changed... when he returned, he went to open my door without knocking (I'd luckily locked it from the inside!) I would not recommend this hostel.

Ive travelled a lot and stayed in a lot of hostels but this one was creepy and the staff were unsettling.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank BackpackerStudent
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I am perturbed by your review, which I cannot understand.

You wrote that you had paid to sleep in a dorm. I did not receive any payment from you, nor can I find an e-mail from you. As I have had complaints from some guests, about other guests in the dorm room, I rectified this. Our dorm room is now for a group of people.

Had you e-mailed me, I would have replied. I cannot understand - 'that there would be no-one staying in the dorm with me.'

You also wrote - 'there was a creepy(!) guy that had wandered in and paid to stay in the dorm,,,' This is absolutely not true.

'And, when I paid (apparently I couldn't pay the outstanding balance on my debit card - lies).'

On a few occasions, guests have presented a debit/credit card, which is rejected. I do not lie - the swipe machine shows a message on the screen, which is shown to the guest. An alternative card is offered or payment is made in cash.

'Steve(?) ripped me off claiming the exchange rate was completely different to what it was. I knew he was ripping me off, but felt threatened as he was standing in my room!!

What exchange rate are you referring to? Our rooms and rates are very clear on the website and booking sites.

Steven has never been described as threatening, and I find this very upsetting! If you read other reviews, he has mostly been described as friendly and 'going the extra mile' to being helpful and accommodating.

Why would Steven switch off the internet? We understand how important it is for our guests to connect with family and friends.

You also wrote that ' he went off to get me a receipt.' I have a copy of the receipt, which I signed and gave to you immediately.

And, 'when he returned, he went to open my door without knocking.' Neither Steven or I would ever do this. We do not disturb our guests, unless to let them know their pizza has arrived, or if the place was on fire...

It was never our intention to appear creepy, like the non-existent guest, or to 'unsettle' you in any way.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a late night incoming flight and and very early outgoing flight - Terrylin Backpackers was perfect for your night. It is very close to the airport, easy to get a taxi to and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We were welcomed when we arrived (which was very late) and shown all the facilities, our bed was pre-warmed for us as it was a cold night. The bed was comfy, the surroundings quiet and peaceful and our host made sure we were booked to get a taxi back early in the morning, in time for our very early flight. Thanks for the restful night!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you, Laurielee, for this lovely review.

Steven and I appreciate your positive comments and that you had a pleasant stay with us, before your honeymoon.

We wish you and your husband a happy and blessed marriage.