“Worst Service I have ever received!”

Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Worst Service I have ever received!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We arrived at the Backpackers at 22:00 after having called in advance to book and inform of our estimated time of arrival. When we arrived we asked if it was possible to leave at 3am as we were driving down to cape town the next morning.

The man immediately informed us that this was not possible because we would need to be let out of the security gate, even though one of our friends was staying behind and could have easily let us out by pressing the button.

We then asked the man what would be the earliest we could leave and he said 6:30. We then wanted a couple minutes to discuss if this was possible for us. But before we could even decide he informed us that this booking was not going to work for him and he kicked us out onto the street late at night and in a very unsafe area. Leaving us stranded for the night.

I am a well experienced traveller having stayed in various backpackers around the world and I have never come across such terrible service! I would never recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank KimTeer
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Our guests are very considerate and inform us of an early morning departure, when they MAKE the booking.

I am then available from 3am, or the time requested, to open the gate, for their departure, and they are very grateful, as most backpackers hostels, are not open for 24 hours, only hotels.

Under no circumstances, would we allow a guest to open the gate. This did happen once, when a guest, found the remote, and when I awoke, found the gate and front door security gate open, and the remote lying the driveway!!

The man did not feel comfortable, with your discussions, and suggested alternative accommodation in the area.

You also assumed that the area is unsafe. Excavations for a new hotel opposite us are being carried out, as this area has been earmarked for the aerotropolis.

Incidentally, another hostelowner, in the vicinity has left the gates open for over 15 years, without any incidents, but as a South African, I am fully aware of overseas travellers perceptions of crime, and they feel safer, knowing our security policy, which is one of our priorities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The only good thing is the location close to the airport, only 5 min drive,although you can listen the aircrafts early in the morning.

The room was full of old dusty things left by other customers almost no empty space, i'm not even sure that they change the bed linen everyday.

Noisy living room close to the room, and no heating.

They offer breakfast but it's really poor.

Not recommended even for one night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lautamar
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your review, as I take these seriously, and wish to confirm the following:

Terrylin offers budget accommodation for overnight travellers, at very reasonable rates.

We strive to create a homely atmosphere, and the rooms, linen and premises are cleaned on a daily basis. Compliments about the cleanliness are often received. I am unaware of 'old, dusty things left by other customers'.

Sometimes guests do make a noise in the living room, but are strict about the noise levels from 10pm.

There is an electric blanket on the bed, and heaters are available at a minimal cost.

The light breakfast you were offered, was complimentary, and consisted of cereals, bread, jams, tea, coffee, juice, joghurt and fruit.

I urge guests to consider the price, in comparison to star graded establishments.
Tulsa, Ok
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at Terrylin's while in route to Namibia. It was an ok stay. The good was that they arranged airport pick up, and that it was close to the airport. They also provided electric blankets, as it was a cold night. However, it was very noisy all through the night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments.

We do try and keep the noise levels down from 10pm, and hope the guests will comply, as we understand the most are tired after hours of travelling.
Switzerland
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great B&B near the airport (pick-up available) run by a mother and son. Room is clean and comfortable, the kitchen is open to use and breakfast is good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DSWorldAdventure
Thank you for your positive feedback -we appreciate this.
New York
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The older lady, most probably Terrylin, was friendly, while a younger gentleman there looked quite unfriendly. The room and bed were quite comfortable, a simple breakfast was OK as well, but overall it was not a terrific place to stay. Being one of the least expensive places in the area near the airport, it worked out OK.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alexm262
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. i appreciate your comments.

The 'younger gentleman' extends his apologies for 'looking quite unfriendly'.

I also wish that we were able to store your luggage, but as we are a small establishment, we do not have these facilities, but are working on adding a room, to do so. Thank you for your suggestion.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I tried to make a reservation for a single male person (4 nights) this morning. First being told by Steven (presumably the owner/manager, who was quite rude) that the customer had to call him himself, which he later did (in between meetings). I did however phone the Hostel again, as the customer was constantly cut off during his call to them and could not manage to secure accommodation. I was told by Steven that "people don't arrive alone, but in groups" and that "it just doesn't work like that" (?????? What????) Furthermore I was told that they "cater for groups of overseas tourists and that if this person was a South African travelling on his own, he would have to be booked into a 2-bed room at the rate of R350/night, or nothing", instead of the dorm (which we requested) at R150/night. "That's just the way we work." They also don't allow stays for longer than 3 days!!
Well, Steven, this person is a young, respectable, (Proudly) South African, non-smoker and drinker, who happens to travel to Gauteng every month and has stayed at many Backpacker's Hostels before. Never before have we encountered these 'rules' or such an attitude.
Terrylin obviously has more than enough clients and don't need South Africans (who don't travel in groups) as their customers. We are happy to report that we have found a much nicer Backpacker's for the customer at an even better rate of R110/night and "he is welcome to stay for as long as he likes".....welcoming and friendly service.
If I may, I would like to suggest that Terrylin make a big note on their website that dorms are not available to single South Africans and that maximum lenght of stay is 3 days. Also perhaps that this backpackers is for customers who don't mind rude owners/managers who discriminate against single South Africans. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelagent1970
I have spoken to Steven about the manner in which your request was conducted, and I apologise if you felt he was impolite.

Terrylin offers twin, double and family room accommodation, and in this instance, the dorm room which can accommodate only 6 guests at a time. This room was fully booked by a group for the first two nights, in which you requested accommodation.

Although, I did not hear the conversation at the time, according to Steven, he was offering alternative accommodation, and on the onset, we offer accommodation for 3 days, as the dorm room is primarily for backpackers, who stay overnight, or at the most two days.

We are willing to accommodate South Africans, and have had many staying with us in the past, and also have future bookings.
JHB
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I arrived at Terrylin Backpackers at midnight, as the other place i booked into did not answer.
The owner was very kind and accomodating.
After a very comfortable sleep in the dorm bed - clean and made-up, I had breakfast, which offers more than any other hostel I have been to ; Choice of cereals, brown and white bread, lots of jams etc, yoghurt, two juices and fruit.
I booked for another night and swam while my washing was done.
I appreciated the extras - satallite TV, Free parking and the Wi-Fi, which is free for an hour, which is all that i needed.
An afternoon tour was also organised for me.
I found terrylin to be very homely, clean and secure. It is also quiet, which I needed after travelling for more than 14hours.
Although I had an afternoon flight, I understood the 10am check-out time, as the owner would like to clean the place for the new guests.
For less than 18 US Dollars, or less than 12 Pounds, I would really recommend Terrylin Backpackers!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AJ D
Thank you for your heart warming review, and for the group of friends to whom you recommended Terrylin..

It was a real pleasure having them and you here.