“Average Stay”

Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at Terrylin's while in route to Namibia. It was an ok stay. The good was that they arranged airport pick up, and that it was close to the airport. They also provided electric blankets, as it was a cold night. However, it was very noisy all through the night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments.

We do try and keep the noise levels down from 10pm, and hope the guests will comply, as we understand the most are tired after hours of travelling.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great B&B near the airport (pick-up available) run by a mother and son. Room is clean and comfortable, the kitchen is open to use and breakfast is good.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DSWorldAdventure

Thank you for your positive feedback -we appreciate this.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

The older lady, most probably Terrylin, was friendly, while a younger gentleman there looked quite unfriendly. The room and bed were quite comfortable, a simple breakfast was OK as well, but overall it was not a terrific place to stay. Being one of the least expensive places in the area near the airport, it worked out OK.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexm262
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. i appreciate your comments.

The 'younger gentleman' extends his apologies for 'looking quite unfriendly'.

I also wish that we were able to store your luggage, but as we are a small establishment, we do not have these facilities, but are working on adding a room, to do so. Thank you for your suggestion.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

I tried to make a reservation for a single male person (4 nights) this morning. First being told by Steven (presumably the owner/manager, who was quite rude) that the customer had to call him himself, which he later did (in between meetings). I did however phone the Hostel again, as the customer was constantly cut off during his call to them and could not manage to secure accommodation. I was told by Steven that "people don't arrive alone, but in groups" and that "it just doesn't work like that" (?????? What????) Furthermore I was told that they "cater for groups of overseas tourists and that if this person was a South African travelling on his own, he would have to be booked into a 2-bed room at the rate of R350/night, or nothing", instead of the dorm (which we requested) at R150/night. "That's just the way we work." They also don't allow stays for longer than 3 days!!
Well, Steven, this person is a young, respectable, (Proudly) South African, non-smoker and drinker, who happens to travel to Gauteng every month and has stayed at many Backpacker's Hostels before. Never before have we encountered these 'rules' or such an attitude.
Terrylin obviously has more than enough clients and don't need South Africans (who don't travel in groups) as their customers. We are happy to report that we have found a much nicer Backpacker's for the customer at an even better rate of R110/night and "he is welcome to stay for as long as he likes".....welcoming and friendly service.
If I may, I would like to suggest that Terrylin make a big note on their website that dorms are not available to single South Africans and that maximum lenght of stay is 3 days. Also perhaps that this backpackers is for customers who don't mind rude owners/managers who discriminate against single South Africans. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Travelagent1970

I have spoken to Steven about the manner in which your request was conducted, and I apologise if you felt he was impolite.

Terrylin offers twin, double and family room accommodation, and in this instance, the dorm room which can accommodate only 6 guests at a time. This room was fully booked by a group for the first two nights, in which you requested accommodation.

Although, I did not hear the conversation at the time, according to Steven, he was offering alternative accommodation, and on the onset, we offer accommodation for 3 days, as the dorm room is primarily for backpackers, who stay overnight, or at the most two days.

We are willing to accommodate South Africans, and have had many staying with us in the past, and also have future bookings.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I arrived at Terrylin Backpackers at midnight, as the other place i booked into did not answer.
The owner was very kind and accomodating.
After a very comfortable sleep in the dorm bed - clean and made-up, I had breakfast, which offers more than any other hostel I have been to ; Choice of cereals, brown and white bread, lots of jams etc, yoghurt, two juices and fruit.
I booked for another night and swam while my washing was done.
I appreciated the extras - satallite TV, Free parking and the Wi-Fi, which is free for an hour, which is all that i needed.
An afternoon tour was also organised for me.
I found terrylin to be very homely, clean and secure. It is also quiet, which I needed after travelling for more than 14hours.
Although I had an afternoon flight, I understood the 10am check-out time, as the owner would like to clean the place for the new guests.
For less than 18 US Dollars, or less than 12 Pounds, I would really recommend Terrylin Backpackers!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AJ D

Thank you for your heart warming review, and for the group of friends to whom you recommended Terrylin..

It was a real pleasure having them and you here.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I cannot believe how great this place is, the atmosphere is fantastic and the management was incredible. i, too have been all over staying in many hostels and as for a back packers hostel this place had it all!. you definatly get everything that you need and it feels like home. i would strongly recommend this place to any traveller. situated near the OR tambo airport they offer a shuttle service (which was actually cheaper than the taxi) and very accommodating.

Joy and Stephan were always willing to assist and help. i can understand the pressure they must be feeling with always being so busy but still found the time to make me feel at home.

the breakfast was also fantastic.

Room Tip: go with the family room
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank misty c

Thank you for your positive comments. I appreciate your time in writing this review.

We strive to make our guests welcome in a homely, comfortable and safe environment.

I wish you all the best for you future travels.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I have been to a lot of really good and welcoming hostels lately. Every one of them gave me the impression of being safe and appreciated as a guest. Terrylin was the first hostel with an atmosphere that was strictly about business and didn't make me feel welcomed or safe at all. Located in a (at least to my impression) rough neighborhood, Terrylin is a place where time seemed to stop 30 years ago. It is clean and the reason I chose it is its convenient short distance to the airport.
The beds are unfortunately very uncomfortable, which can be said about the entire furniture and the owner's attitude. I have never experienced a hostel manager who really did not care about her guests. On top of that, she insulted me personally by claiming I was just a backpacker who tried to "abuse" the Internet connection by exploiting the traffic volume. This is an outrage since she never mentioned there was a limitation to the Internet, I was really only checking my e-mails and looked up a couple websites and most importantly, there were no other guests besides me and my two friends!
Terrylin freaked me out, made me feel very uncomfortable, furious and sad at the same time- I regret giving so much money to its manager and will definitely not go there again. Do not check in unless you want to face an emotional challenge. There are a lot of brilliant hostels who are worth the money and understand what customer service means.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank hvm2011

I sincerely apologise if you felt I did not make you feel safe or welcome. This was not my intention, as I strive to make all my guests feel welcome, with many returning to Terrylin.

I have lived in this suburb for over thirty years, and have felt very safe, although we do have security on the property, of the highest standards.

As a hostel, we welcome all backpackers. I also apologise for not making you aware of the free hour for wi-fi usage, although this is not a strict ruling, and guests use this for much longer.

Our rates are on par with other hostels in the area.

Thank you for your positive comments on the location near the airport, and the cleanliness. I strive to maintain the cleanliness standards. There are laundry facilities available, to wash clothes and not the kitchen sink.

It was not my intention to offend you in this matter.