“A Real Bargain”

Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel
JHB
“A Real Bargain”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I arrived at Terrylin Backpackers at midnight, as the other place i booked into did not answer.
The owner was very kind and accomodating.
After a very comfortable sleep in the dorm bed - clean and made-up, I had breakfast, which offers more than any other hostel I have been to ; Choice of cereals, brown and white bread, lots of jams etc, yoghurt, two juices and fruit.
I booked for another night and swam while my washing was done.
I appreciated the extras - satallite TV, Free parking and the Wi-Fi, which is free for an hour, which is all that i needed.
An afternoon tour was also organised for me.
I found terrylin to be very homely, clean and secure. It is also quiet, which I needed after travelling for more than 14hours.
Although I had an afternoon flight, I understood the 10am check-out time, as the owner would like to clean the place for the new guests.
For less than 18 US Dollars, or less than 12 Pounds, I would really recommend Terrylin Backpackers!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AJ D
Terrylin, Owner at Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your heart warming review, and for the group of friends to whom you recommended Terrylin..

It was a real pleasure having them and you here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
guateng
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I cannot believe how great this place is, the atmosphere is fantastic and the management was incredible. i, too have been all over staying in many hostels and as for a back packers hostel this place had it all!. you definatly get everything that you need and it feels like home. i would strongly recommend this place to any traveller. situated near the OR tambo airport they offer a shuttle service (which was actually cheaper than the taxi) and very accommodating.

Joy and Stephan were always willing to assist and help. i can understand the pressure they must be feeling with always being so busy but still found the time to make me feel at home.

the breakfast was also fantastic.

Room Tip: go with the family room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank misty c
Thank you for your positive comments. I appreciate your time in writing this review.

We strive to make our guests welcome in a homely, comfortable and safe environment.

I wish you all the best for you future travels.
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I have been to a lot of really good and welcoming hostels lately. Every one of them gave me the impression of being safe and appreciated as a guest. Terrylin was the first hostel with an atmosphere that was strictly about business and didn't make me feel welcomed or safe at all. Located in a (at least to my impression) rough neighborhood, Terrylin is a place where time seemed to stop 30 years ago. It is clean and the reason I chose it is its convenient short distance to the airport.
The beds are unfortunately very uncomfortable, which can be said about the entire furniture and the owner's attitude. I have never experienced a hostel manager who really did not care about her guests. On top of that, she insulted me personally by claiming I was just a backpacker who tried to "abuse" the Internet connection by exploiting the traffic volume. This is an outrage since she never mentioned there was a limitation to the Internet, I was really only checking my e-mails and looked up a couple websites and most importantly, there were no other guests besides me and my two friends!
Terrylin freaked me out, made me feel very uncomfortable, furious and sad at the same time- I regret giving so much money to its manager and will definitely not go there again. Do not check in unless you want to face an emotional challenge. There are a lot of brilliant hostels who are worth the money and understand what customer service means.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank hvm2011
I sincerely apologise if you felt I did not make you feel safe or welcome. This was not my intention, as I strive to make all my guests feel welcome, with many returning to Terrylin.

I have lived in this suburb for over thirty years, and have felt very safe, although we do have security on the property, of the highest standards.

As a hostel, we welcome all backpackers. I also apologise for not making you aware of the free hour for wi-fi usage, although this is not a strict ruling, and guests use this for much longer.

Our rates are on par with other hostels in the area.

Thank you for your positive comments on the location near the airport, and the cleanliness. I strive to maintain the cleanliness standards. There are laundry facilities available, to wash clothes and not the kitchen sink.

It was not my intention to offend you in this matter.