“This place is like home very comfortable and the service is personal.”
Review of Sunrock Guesthouse

Sunrock Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The service at the sunrock is personalised,you are not treated like any other person.My personal needs are well taken care of,from the size of the bed to the drinks in the bar,if they do not have stock they will make sure to get what ever l drink.The food is fantastic and they encourage we all eat together like one big family,it is like home.This also give us the opportunity amongst guests to share experiences and network which l find very helpful.Everytime l travel to Johanesburg be it on business or leisure the Sunrock would be my first choice for accomodation.In comparison with other places their rates are very reasonable.
I would personally recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed October 8, 2010

Ina and Arthur are reliable, friendly and extremely helpful hosts. We were met promptly at the airport which is very close by - but not so close that noise was a problem. The rooms were very comfortable (nice sheets!) and the bar / restaurant area was large and airy. Dinner also substantial. A very pleasant experience and I would go back again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed just one night there to wait for a connection flight.
The owner itself picked us up at the airport.
The guesthouse is located near the airport, but don't expect much about nightlife in the neighborhood - I couldn't see any restaurant near.
The rooms are really simple / no-frills, as stated by other reviewers (no air-conditioning), but they are very clean.
The breakfast is basic, but OK.

I was positive impressed by two facts:
- the owners invited us for a barbecue (paid as extra) in the evening. It was delicious! Excellent meat!
- I forgot my camera in the owner's van after he left us at the airport. I called him back, asking to bring it to me. I had to wait some time due to the heavy traffic he was in. When he arrived, I wanted to pay a tip for the inconvenience, but he didn't accept it. Can you imagine that? In South Africa?

In a few words, a simple and unexpensive place ran by a family that provides excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed at Sunrock for 1 night after arriving in Johannesburg and then 5 weeks later during the day as a transit stop.

On both occasions we were collected by the owners in a comfortable transit vehicle and returned at the appropriate time for our flight. This service was excellent and timely, it's nice to be greeted with a smile by either of the genuinely welcoming hosts. Of note during one trip Arthur took a Maccau red and blue parrot with him which travelled on his shoulder - quite unique.

We arrived on a Saturday night for the first visit just in time for a Saturday night BBQ being steak, ribs and vegetables for a relatively low cost. We are particular with food and found this one of the best honest meals we had consumed during our 5 week African adventure. To qualify this statement we generally stayed at Safari lodges with 5 star resorts and in Egypt some Old Palaces. On our second visit we learned that Arthur and Ina were the owners of a steak house prior to this venture.

The rooms we stayed in varied in size and we would recommend you ask for a larger room. But I must say the cleanliness and crispness of the sheets were again very pleasing and of a superior standard.

I was overwhelmed arriving at Sunrock at night from Australia and experiencing first hand the security precautions in place at Sunrock in response to the environmental issues but this did not distract from our stay.

Other aspets to Sunrock are the internet, swimming pool, bar and pool tables and you easily feel like it's your home mainly due to the owners who easily make you feel at ease.

I cannot find a negative but remember Sunrock is a guest house and embrace it as such. If you want to stay at the Marriot then book in and be prepared for the $500Us per night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My cousin and I stayed one night here and loved it. The rooms are decorated well and are spacious. Ina and Arthur made us feel very welcome and genuinely were interested in their guests and offered advice and tips. This guesthouse is cosy but at the same time big enough so you do not feel like you are living in someones home! The breakfast was comprehensive and yummy with hot and cold items. The location to Joberg airport is great and the free transport to pick you up and drop you off adds a personal touch.

I would definitely stay here again!

Anusha (London)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This is one of the nicest B&B I have stayed in. The rooms are big and you have everything you need. The owners went out of their way to make us enjoy the stay. They also provide free shuttle between airport and guesthouse and even took as to the Gautrain for free. I would recommend them to all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Our family stayed at the Sunrock Guesthouse on our way to Mozambique and then again on our trip back home. We were very pleased with the accomodations! The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated and furnished. Ina and her staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. They picked us up at the airport upon arrival and dropped us off at the airport the next day. We would highly recommend the Sunrock Guesthouse to anyone traveling to Johannesburg.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family