“Comfortable, handy for airport”
Review of Sunrock Guesthouse

Sunrock Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is a good stopover point and their driver will pick you up from or take you to Oliver Tambo airport. You can't get into Jo'burg from here without a car or taxi so they do offer dinner, which was excellent value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Honestly the neighborhood seemed a little worrisome, but upon entering the gate to the property, it was a true oasis. The food, the service, and the rooms were great! Perfect for a near airport place!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

All the good things written in other reviews are true! Only minus point is the neighbourhood, but as dinner is possible in the guesthouse, and is very good, there is no need to leave the place. Clean large rooms, swimming pool of reasonable size, good breakfast, airport transport, friendly staff. What else you need for an overnight stay?

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Theo591
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Perfect place to stay overnight when waiting for a flight. A driver meets one at the airport and it is only minutes to ride. I was just returning from safari and all I wanted was a hot shower and comfy bed. Found both. Plus there was a friendly staff and a good breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The room was very tidy, neat and roomy. There was buffet for Friday night was just excellent. The Swimming pool colored lights really gave the pool a romantic look. Accessories in the toilet was sufficient. The hotel is in a quite area, Ideal for couples on holiday. The hotel is very close to OR Tambo Airport, about 10 minutes drive.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed at Sunrock Guesthouse for two nights in December and could not have been happier with my room or more blown away by the customer service. I was in Joburg only because S. African airways had messed up my flight schedule – I found out I would be staying 2 extra nights (as opposed to just having a few hour layover) the night before leaving. Someone at Sunrock was there to pick me up at the airport (though it was very late), and my room was beautiful and very clean when I got in. Breakfast the next morning was delicious (eggs, breakfast meats, yogurt, juice, bread, etc. etc.) and the hosts were incredible. They gave me a number of recommendations for what to do in town during my stay, and were very welcoming and friendly. The setting is also stunning – the pool is beautiful, the plants are all gorgeous, and it made for a wonderful place to just relax.

What really made the Sunrock experience so incredible was the service though. The next morning I wanted to meet a friend in Pretoria, so the hotel owners nicely told me how to do this and even personally drove me to the train station at the airport, since I also wanted to exchange money and buy a phone. I didn’t realize I would need my passport for this, so I then borrowed someone at the airports phone and called her back. She amazingly offered to come BACK to the airport and bring me my passport! I would have literally been stranded with no money and no way to get anywhere if I’d been at a normal hotel with normal customer service. Later that day she made sure to ask about my afternoon, was very friendly and not at all frustrated – which I definitely would have been if I were her. I had to work remotely the next day and even though I had to check out in the morning they nicely let me stay there all the way until 2pm, working in the lounge and by the pool. (Which was very pleasant.) Some readers/travelers might also find it worth noting that I'm a 24 year old female and had been met with a few skeptical or worried responses when friends or family knew I was going to Joburg alone. Staying here made me feel completely safe and well looked-after, which allowed me to better appreciate a really awesome city!

Great service, beautiful guesthouse. If you need to somewhere to stay relatively near the airport, this is definitely a wonderful option.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 13CateM
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The rooms are very clean and way above standard. Loved the hominess of the resturant/reception area. Very welcoming ambiance. No complaints really except I wished the contact persons could be more proactive in responding to questions raised through email. So maybe some improvement in communication might help. Otherwise my overall experience with the place itself and staff while there was very plesant. Highly Recommended!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business