“Clean rooms, close to Johannesburg airport”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A mixed review. Pro's: clean rooms and very close to the hotel. A company called itours is in their hotel lobby to help you with your travel needs and private hires - Liezl was dream.
Cons: Staff can be a bit abrupt, depending upon who is at the desk. The dinner buffet was way overpriced for what was offered, and the food was not very good. The breakfast buffet (the only option) was quite limited and of mediocre quality. After 3 flights, and the third being 16 hours, a clean bed and a working shower are a must. After settling in, I prepared for bed. In less than one minute of showering, the drain began overflowing. The design of the shower was such that was not any depth nor rim to catch any overflow, at all. With soap in my hair, and eyes burning, I had to turn off the shower and wait a substantial amount of time for it to drain. Meanwhile, I was freezing cold (nice cool room from the AC). Consequently I froze while I showered in spurts. The alternative was to just let water rapidly overflow into the room. The shower is part of the bedroom, a very strange set-up. I called the desk to alert them of the problem. To their credit, they offered to change my room. At this point I was exhausted, and had to catch an early flight the next morning. To their shame, they offered no compensation of any kind. The next morning I persisted in my request to at least comp my breakfast by refunding the prepaid. It took four different staff to finally agree. Very poor customer service. Also upon check-in, they informed me that they had free wifi. After sending two, VERY BRIEF emails, it logged me out and required payment to continue. Personally, I would never consider staying here again. The only benefit that I could determine was its close proximity to the airport. But there are other choices just as close. Personally, I would not ever book here again.

Room Tip: Room 121 had the drain problem. It also had an adjoining room, which IS NOT what a solo, female trav...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fearlessinfuquay
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear fearlessinfuquay

Thank you for your review and providing us with useful feedback.

Convenience after long travel is key and our location with complimentary shuttles certainly helps. I will certainly congratulate Liezl on her outstanding service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due a drainage problem. This is not the experience I wish for my GUESTS and the maintenance TEAM has been assigned to this with immediate effect. GUEST service is at the core of what we do and I am disappointed that we dropped the ball during your stay. I will be sitting with all managers to discuss your comments so that we prevent this from happening in the future.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly and apologise in person. My direct email address is gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We only stayed one night but it was ideal after our trip from Houston via London.

Hotel is clean, has internet and the breakfasts are very good.

The courtesy bus leaves every thirty minutes from the bus depot just across the drive from the international terminal exit, between the car park and the Intercontinental hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mikel12323

Dear mikel12323

It is so pleasing to receive such positive comments from our GUESTS. Thank you for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community.

Although it was a short stay, I am happy that we could offer you a place to catch up on some rest. We pride ourselves on offering a wide breakfast spread that is wholesome and fresh. I will commend the breakfast TEAM for their efforts.

Our complimentary 500mb Wi-Fi per day ensures that our GUESTS can keep in touch with loved ones and business if need be.

I hope the rest of your travels went well.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

spent three nights passing in/out of Jo'burg. Room was very clean. Shower was excellent. Bed/Bed linens very comfy. Even though you look out over the airport, the noise was not a factor.

Sometimes I found the staff a bit abrupt, but that may be just a cultural difference. Food was good, though I would appreciate having another breakfast option besides the buffet.

Generally, though, I would recommend to others and believe it's a good value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sooolucky

Dear sooolucky

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

An overall “good experience” is what I want our GUESTS to have when staying at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. The housekeeping TEAM pays extreme attention to detail to ensure that the rooms are clean and comfortable at all times.

I apologise for any STAFF interactions that were abrupt. The culture within the hotel is meant to be friendly, welcoming and a home away from home. I will discuss this with the TEAM.
I hope that you will visit us when you are next in Johannesburg.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After flying in from Australia (LONG trip!), it was great to get to our Hotel. Beautiful modern decor, and very attentive staff. We bought gigantic hamburgers from the bar (yum yum!!) which were very reasonably priced and sat in the garden area near the pool, which looked lovely, with heaps of chairs and cabanas around it (but it was too cool for a swim).

Our room was more than adequate, and the shower was hot and refreshing (in the corner of the bedroom, which was odd, but ok). Don't particularly like the smoked glass door on the toilet, but that's a matter of taste. Very comfortable bed, and spotless housekeeping.

Breakfast was great - good array of foods, and fresh bread, which was lovely.

Went downstairs in the middle of the night to have a cigarette, and chatted with a lovely couple from Cape Town. South Africa seems like a very friendly country, and our first night was very pleasant. Protea Hotel OR Tambo was the perfect choice for weary travellers to refresh!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kid_U_Not58

It is such a pleasure to hear that we were able to provide you with the rest and relaxation you need after your long travels. I love receiving comments about the aviation theme we have in the hotel, which certainly a unique experience for all.

There is nothing like a great meal to refuel ones tank. The pool may be a bit cold for a swim, but the fresh air and comfortable chairs do wonders. I am sure your expectations were high after those burgers and the chefs will be ecstatic that the breakfast spread exceeded them.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the friendly South African culture and hope you return again.

Thank you for all of your comments.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a stopover in JNB. The room was small but more than adequate for a short stay. I could see the terminal and aircraft from my room window across a large highway. The room was spotless and in excellent condition. I took the hotel shuttle from JNB to the hotel round trip. Finding the shuttle bus to the hotel was not that difficult, only a 5 min walk from the terminal. A couple of young men "helped" me find the shuttle bus stop but it is not necessary at all. The hotel had adequate dining facilities but there did not appear to be other eateries very near the hotel. The hotel breakfast was very good. I would stay here again during a stop over at JNB. The morning when I checked out far too many people needed a shuttle bus trip back to the airport. Since the shuttle bus was full, one of the hotel staff drove five of us to the airport in a regular car. I don't know if it was his car or the hotels, but in any case they went the extra kilometer to make sure we made it to the terminal on time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear W7364GGCarlos

Thank you for this amazing review. We aim to be a “great airport hotel” and your comments will do wonders for STAFF morale.

We want every GUEST to feel as if they were the first to stay in the room. The spotless and excellent condition you speak of is exactly the reaction we strive for. I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts to achieve excellence.

GUEST service is very important to us and I am so happy that the STAFF went the extra mile for you and your fellow GUESTS.

I hope the rest of your travels went well.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

its conveniently located next to the airport and has a shuttle service to and fro every 30mins. The rooms are nice and comfortable but the idea of having the toilet next to the entry door is somewhat not cool. improvements in staff courtesy is needed. took me 38 mins to get checked in because my room wasnt ready, and that was at 4;30pm. Appalling. receptionist did not even acknowledge my prescence. Bar tender was too casual with his language, greeted me with a "yetta bro- what can i get you"- i was shocked. the receptionist Frank was very helpful and very proffessional-thumbs up to him. buffet meals were pretty average and lacking in depth and creativity. all in all good place for business travel.

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the west side, there is less noise of planes taking off
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear viskis2013

GUEST feedback is very important to us and thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy that the hotel was perfect for your business trip. However, I can assure you that the concerns you raised will be receiving my urgent attention. There is no excuse for you room not being available at that time of the day.

I will sit down with the bar and restaurant TEAMS to discuss your comments about the quality of the buffet as well as the STAFF attitude. We aim to provide the best GUEST service and more training will be provided to ensure this is being achieved.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further. You can contact me at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located just across the freeway from the airport, perhaps a 10 minute ride. Not walkable. You can catch a free shuttle at the transit area that runs to and from the airport every half hour. We were assigned to a room at 10:00PM that had not yet been cleaned and were then sent to a handicapped room which was all that was available at that time of night. Fortunately that room was clean and we had a good sleep. Breakfast is a nice buffet that is apparently set up for tour groups and included in their room rate. We were travelling on our own and so breakfast was not included and they had no separate menu for those of us who just wanted a light breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Nan2010

We appreciate your feedback and comments posted on TripAdvisor.

The close proximity to the airport, as well as the complimentary scheduled shuttles, is very convenient for travellers.

It is disappointing to hear of your experience when checking into your room. You should have been welcomed by a clean room immediately. I am glad that the STAFF was able to move you to an alternative room where you could get some rest.

The breakfast setup is standard every morning and if it is not included in the rate, GUESTS are welcome to sign it to the room and settle at check out.

Thank you and please visit us when next in Johannesburg.