“good for business”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed September 4, 2013

its conveniently located next to the airport and has a shuttle service to and fro every 30mins. The rooms are nice and comfortable but the idea of having the toilet next to the entry door is somewhat not cool. improvements in staff courtesy is needed. took me 38 mins to get checked in because my room wasnt ready, and that was at 4;30pm. Appalling. receptionist did not even acknowledge my prescence. Bar tender was too casual with his language, greeted me with a "yetta bro- what can i get you"- i was shocked. the receptionist Frank was very helpful and very proffessional-thumbs up to him. buffet meals were pretty average and lacking in depth and creativity. all in all good place for business travel.

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the west side, there is less noise of planes taking off
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear viskis2013

GUEST feedback is very important to us and thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy that the hotel was perfect for your business trip. However, I can assure you that the concerns you raised will be receiving my urgent attention. There is no excuse for you room not being available at that time of the day.

I will sit down with the bar and restaurant TEAMS to discuss your comments about the quality of the buffet as well as the STAFF attitude. We aim to provide the best GUEST service and more training will be provided to ensure this is being achieved.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further. You can contact me at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located just across the freeway from the airport, perhaps a 10 minute ride. Not walkable. You can catch a free shuttle at the transit area that runs to and from the airport every half hour. We were assigned to a room at 10:00PM that had not yet been cleaned and were then sent to a handicapped room which was all that was available at that time of night. Fortunately that room was clean and we had a good sleep. Breakfast is a nice buffet that is apparently set up for tour groups and included in their room rate. We were travelling on our own and so breakfast was not included and they had no separate menu for those of us who just wanted a light breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Nan2010

We appreciate your feedback and comments posted on TripAdvisor.

The close proximity to the airport, as well as the complimentary scheduled shuttles, is very convenient for travellers.

It is disappointing to hear of your experience when checking into your room. You should have been welcomed by a clean room immediately. I am glad that the STAFF was able to move you to an alternative room where you could get some rest.

The breakfast setup is standard every morning and if it is not included in the rate, GUESTS are welcome to sign it to the room and settle at check out.

Thank you and please visit us when next in Johannesburg.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booking was confirmed, first room had however a air conditioner problem so I was asked to move to another room. Room service food ordered through the bar restaurant was really top quality and on time! Compared with other Protea hotels, not making my top list though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Easyref

An average experience is certainly not we aim to provide and I am extremely sorry that you felt this way. I will be sharing your feedback with the TEAM to ensure that this does not occur in the future.

However, it is still positive that you enjoyed the room service and its speedy arrival.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience directly. You can contact me at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Friendly service. So handy if you're transiting through Jo'berg or have an early out or late flight in. Staff were really nice, room was clean and tidy, worth the money and very convenient! Food was good to. The airport transfer is extremely handy. If you are coming out of arrivals ignore the well dressed people telling you to follow them, they're dodgy. Go to the information desk to get the directions for the transfer bus!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank katsmi12

Dear katsmi12

What a fantastic review, Thank you for posting it on TripAdvisor.

There is no doubt that our location is extremely convenient for travelers arriving late or leaving early. I am pleased that in addition to our location, the STAFF was so friendly.

The chef and TEAM know the importance of a full tank for travels, work or sightseeing. They will be thrilled that you enjoyed their delicious creations so much.

All airport personnel are aware of the transfers that we offer and will gladly point GUESTS in the right direction.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

we booked a night with the hotel on 'wotif' and were told when we arrived that we had no booking even though i had my confirmation paperwork etc with me. the staff showed no interest at all and we were handed over to 3 different staff members, each as hopeless as the last. after 45 minutes they told me i had to pay for another room and that they would match the rate of the booking that had 'never been received'. of course the so called matched price was higher & didn't include breakfast...they fixed this...or so i thought. upon checkout they tried to charge for the free breakfast so this was another 15 minute wait to get the bill adjusted. i might add that the breakfast serving was not ready anyway so we left eating very little.
Overall, the worst hotel experience ever. i would also add that during our very long wait at check in i was astounded at the number of people that had issues with their bill on checkout. of the 5 people i saw check out 4 had 'extras' that appeared on their bill that had to be taken off.
this was a very poor welcome to South Africa. or first night in and we felt like we had been ripped off.
there are many other hotel options at the airport & i would suggest try any but this one.

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mark h
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear mark h

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay.

It is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience and please accept my sincere apologies; this is certainly not the standard of service we are usually so proud to offer.

I would like to assure you that I have sat with the entire TEAM to discuss your comments and we will be liaising with all relevant parties to ensure that this does not occur again.

Your feedback is valuable and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. You can contact me directly at gm@phortambo.com.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Room lovely, and surprisingly quiet given view of highway and airport. Staff didn't communicate breakfast not included until after it had been eaten and I had returned to my room. Restaurant staff assured me it was included... Shuttle from airport overcrowded, and left many guests waiting. For the price, stay at one of the hotels attached to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear pmc81

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It will assist us with our ongoing search for excellence and ability to provide the best GUEST service.

I am extremely sorry for the miscommunication which caused your frustration. This is an unacceptable error, which will be attended to with all STAFF.

I am however please that you found the room to peaceful and quiet.

We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Spent one night here before starting our South African tour. Really liked it, lovely pool area (although it was too cold to use it ). Bedrooms spacious with an unusual open plan shower . Although it was beside the airport our rooms were at the back and were very quiet. The bed was very comfortable with lovely crisp bed linen.We had a buffet dinner for 150 rand( approx £10) There wasn't much choice but it was all very tasty . Nice Buffet breakfast in the morning .
There was free internet up to 500mb per day in the rooms and it worked well .
The only negative was that the reception staff seemed a bit disorganized and took a long time to get us our rooms .

Room Tip: get room at back to avoid airport noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear holidayseeker

It’s a pity you weren’t able to use the pool as it is still winter in South Africa. However, I hope that your next trip will be in the summer and then the sun will be shining.

Peace and quiet is a must when getting rest and I am happy your rooms provided this for you. Ofcourse, the comfortable and crisp linen helped as well.

I apologise for your disappointment with the dinner buffet and the slow check in. This is certainly not we are usually proud to offer and will be addressed with the TEAM immediately.

I hope that you had an amazing trip to South Africa.