“Great airport hotel”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Needed somewhere to get a good night's sleep before heading off on safari. Convenience & comfort was all we needed so we chose the Protea OR Tambo for it's excellent price & proximity to the airport & we were very impressed.

The style of the hotel is modern/industrial - steel & brick theme of aviation with an outdoor pool area which looked nice but we did not use & a large bar/dining room taking up the ground floor. Staff were friendly & check-in was easy. We requested one of the quiet rooms away from the airport & it was just that. The room is what impressed us the most; after going down a long, rather dark corridor our room was surprisingly spacious & bright & very comfortable. Excellent comfy bed with lots of extra pillows & good quality linen. Bathroom was very attractive & spotless & was well equipped. Robes, slippers & tea & coffee making facilities were an added bonus.

Skipped the breakfast but had a light dinner which was very good value. For an airport hotel it definitely ticked all the right boxes & for the price it is pretty hard to beat.

Room Tip: The ones at the back are very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear TravellerAbuDhabi

Thank you for all of your amazing comments about Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

I had a huge smile on my face whilst reading your review as it seems as if we hit a home run. I must commend the STAFF on all of their efforts. Their passion for providing the best GUEST service is truly amazing.

Although we are near the airport, the noise is minimal and I am pleased that this was helpful to you. All the extras in the room are part of our search for excellence in providing comfortable accommodation and great value. The TEAM will be motivated to continue their efforts after hearing your comments.

Thanks again and be sure to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I spent two nights at this hotel which was booked for me by my travel agent. I was between flights and wanted t spend a day recovering from basically being up 30 hours on a Transatlantic flight. I found it comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, though of spare design, which was fine. It reflected the airport location. This is definitely an airport hotel intended for short stays. I was a single traveler, The room would have been a bit small if I were sharing it. Privacy might have been an issue as the bath was open. Bed was comfortable. The food and bar were great. The dinner menu had a decent selection of food options. I enjoyed dining by the charcoal fire. I liked the fact that there was a "travel desk" and booked a day tour of sights in the Johannesburg area. The travel agent was helpful in recommending sites to see. I would stay here again if I were between flights at the OR Tambo Airport. After landing, it have to say it was a little difficult to find the shuttle bus to the hotel. Of course,there are plenty of young people hanging around that for a tip escorted me to the shuttle bus. My advice in flying into the airport is to have plenty of pocket change for such things.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear DrDeborah

Your feedback is appreciated and we thank you for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

Wow, I can only imagine how one must feel after 30 hours of travelling. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a comfortable room and delicious food during your stay. Not to mention the cosy fire during your dinner.

Having a Travel Desk certainly helps GUESTS who need assistance with arranging tours. I will pass on your positive comments to the TEAM.

I hope that the rest of your travels went well.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very good value for money if you want to comfortably rest in between two planes without spending too much. A free shuttle runs every 30' from the airport to the hotel, which takes about 5'. Quick check-in. The room is small with open bathroom, but very cosy and clearly everything has been carefully thought to make sure you will have everything you need, including hot drinks, amenities and a comfortable bed. I felt like someone had prepared my stay with a lot of care, and after a 14 hrs trip, it feels good. Despite the proximity to the airport, my room was not noisy at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear ParisElm

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

After long travels, getting to ones room as quickly as possible is ideal. I am delighted that the efficient service from the STAFF meant that you were settled in swiftly.

We want our GUESTS to feel at home and the variety of amenities offered in the rooms is just one way of achieving this. I hope you enjoyed some hot chocolate before your much needed rest.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here overnight between long-haul flights and chose this Protea over the Transit hotel as I knew I wouldn't want to be stuck inside the airport. All I wanted was a quiet room with a comfortable bed. The OR Tambo certainly delivered. Clean, quiet rooms with modern furnishings gave me an oasis of calm. Free WiFi was a nice addition, so I could stay in touch while in transit. The bed was large and comfy, with plenty of pillows (always an issue for me!) The bathroom is "open design" - not separated from the sleeping area, but I think there was a curtain that could be drawn across to create some level of privacy. The whole room felt fairly recently renovated, with a clean & simple aesthetic that was quite relaxing.

I had a room facing out to the airport, but wasn't disturbed by noise at all, much to my surprise.

The public areas have an interesting design, industrial with wooden packing crates & a nod to travel & transit. The check in area doesn't have shelving - they use meal trolleys from airplanes!

Room service was reasonably priced; breakfast was around USD15 for a full buffet including freshly-made eggs & omelettes.

Only thing to note - contrary to the hotel's website, there is NOT a 24 hour shuttle service - service runs from around 6am to 11pm, every half hour. I had tried to find the schedule before arriving, but it was nowhere to be found. Shuttles leave the airport on the half hour (6.30, 7, 7.30), and the hotel on the quarter hour (6.45, 7.15 etc) and took about 10 minutes each way. I arrived late Saturday and left early Sunday, so didn't encounter any traffic, but our driver mentioned that early morning weekdays would have much heavier traffic.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Auntytraveljo

Dear Auntytraveljo

It is so refreshing to know that our efforts to not only meet, but exceed GUEST expectations are noticed. Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor.

Travel is exhausting and I completely understand your desire for a spacious, comfortable room to re-energise. The complimentary Wi-Fi definitely helps to catch up on mails and stay in touch with friends and family.

You are correct in saying that our shuttles do not run 24 hours a day. The complimentary shuttles run to and from the airport every half an hour from 04h00 to 22h30.

The décor of the hotel is always a talking point and we are proud that the aviation theme ensure that we are not just the average airport hotel.

Until your next visit, we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel was the first stop on a recent safari vacation booked through and chosen by Overseas Adventure Travel. Did not have time to take advantage of the hotel amenities other than sleeping accommodations and a late dinner in the hotel Room was nice and clean with WIFI available. Buffet dinner was good and affordable but the service seemed a bit disorganized. Friendly staff.
This is not a place to stay in my opinion if you want to go shopping in JoBurg due to the distance and taxi expense. Our baggage didn't arrive at the airport from the US, and there was no place to buy clothing at the hotel. We arrived after dark and had to go back to the airport to catch another morning flight to Victoria Falls, so this review may not be a fair assessment due to short duration visit.

Room Tip: I have no issues with the room. Quiet and comfortable. Can't remember if the temperature contr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Philly2VT

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your way to Victoria Falls.

I am pleased that you felt comfortable in your room and made use of the complimentary 500mb Wi-Fi we offer per day. The chef and TEAM aim to create a variety of menu items and I will commend them on their efforts. However, I am concerned about your comments about the STAFF and will certainly take this up with the TEAM to rectify it.

I hope that you managed to arrange everything with your luggage and had a fantastic trip to Victoria Falls.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night for its convenience to the airport after arriving in Johannesburg and liked it so much we booked it again for the night before our return flight to the U.S. The breakfast buffet is outstanding - something for every taste. Rooms are comfortable and perfect for the occasion - a jumping off place for travel through South Africa.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear horatio319

Thank you for your lovely comments on TripAdvisor.

Welcoming return GUESTS to our hotel assures us that we are providing a welcoming and comfortable experience for all. Your enthusiasm to book for a second time will surely provide the TEAM with motivation to continue providing the best GUEST service.

Breakfast is important, especially if one is going to be travelling for the day. Our breakfast TEAM definitely knows how to fill the tanks of our GUESTS for a busy day ahead.
We hope that you will visit us again when next in South Africa.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed there on two separate nights two weeks apart in July. The first time, we asked to have a wake-up call the next morning a d they failed to do so thus we missed our flight to Cape Town. In our haste to try to make our flight, I left my hair dryer there. Our room was located on the second floor.
Two weeks later we were back for one more night. This time our room was on the fourth floor. I inquired about my hair dryer and they searched their lost items area and they found it and returned it to me. The facilities are very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Their free airport shuttle is great. I preferred the room on the fourth floor.
I feel that it is a very good value for the money and would happily return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear pgow

Thank you for choosing to stay with twice during your visit to South Africa.

As many of our GUESTS are usually passing through Johannesburg en-route to their next destination; we do our best to ensure that GUESTS are comfortable and they have all the facilities they need. Your comments affirm that we are on the right track.

Not providing a wake-up call is completely unacceptable and I am very sorry that you missed your flight to Cape Town as a result. However, I am happy that you were able to retrieve your hair dryer on your return trip.

I hope you had a great trip to South Africa and we hope to welcome you back again.