“Airplane Theme”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Winter Park, Colorado
“Airplane Theme”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Really nice room, reasonable price. Easy shuttle from the airport. Note that there are many "helpers" at the airport who expect to be tipped. Information desk worked just fine.

Too late for dinner but had snacks at the bar. 25 USD or so for a couple glasses of wine and three of four appetizers.

Outstanding breakfast. Lots to choose from including made to order dishes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear CoYogaMaster

I am glad that you enjoyed our aviation theme so much that you named your review after it.

Our shuttle is easy to find and runs every 30 minutes between the hotel and O.R. Tambo Airport. It is great to know that the information desk at the airport was of assistance in directing you.

Offering a comfortable room that has all the facilities needed and at a reasonable price is exactly what we aim to do. Your feedback reassures us that we are on track with ensuring our GUESTS receive the best.

The chef and TEAM will be thrilled to hear of your raving comments about the breakfast offering, which will motivate them to keep striving for excellence.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and will visit again soon.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Protea Johannesburg airport hotel on our visit to Africa in June, 2013. The hotel is very modern and we were very comfortable. The hotel must be soundproofed, as it was pretty quiet considering how close we were to the airport and the highway (see the photo).
We had lunch and breakfast at their restaurant and it was delicious and fresh. We did order room service for dinner and it was not so good. Actually, it was pretty bad. That is why I did not give the hotel 5 stars. They need to improve their room service food. I recommend going down and eating in the restaurant.
We did not venture out of the hotel as we were in transit the next morning. We were pleased that they had free wi-fi in the lobby and ipads so we could check our email and send messages.
Also very good is the shuttle bus to the airport. That was very helpful for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara S
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear RedShoes45

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for staying at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

Getting a good night’s rest is important while travelling and I am thrilled to hear that you found the room to be comfortable.

The TEAM is proud to prepare meals that are tasty and fresh, and your review is proof that we are on the right track. I do however apologise for your disappointment with your room service order. This is definitely not our usual standard and I can guarantee that the Food and Beverage TEAM will work on correcting this.

Overall, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the iPads and complimentary shuttle service enhanced your experience.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your South African trip.

globalflyereal
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was not certain where to stay but this hotel had good reviews and was half the cost of the other luxury hotels near the airport. The hotel has a shuttle service free of charge to/from the airport every half an hour on the hour and on the 15/45 of the hour from the hotel to the airport. I loved the aviation theme that was throughout the hotel. Service was nice and friendly. I asked for and received a room on the top floor with an airport view. The rooms are a bit small and the washroom is in the room which is fine if you are alone. The toilet though is separated by a door. Internet is free but only for a limited amount of space...I think 100mb? Cannot remember. Would be great if they could have just one charge but nothing earth shattering. The hotel really is isolated so without a car there is nothing to do. Luckily the restaurant and bar were fantastic! The chef even made a dish for me combining two items on the menu. A bountiful breakfast buffet as well.

Room Tip: Topfloor with airport view.
1 Thank globalflyereal
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear globalflyereal

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

Our daily shuttle service is very convenient especially after a long flight, and over and above that I am delighted that our value offering was so appealing.

We are so proud to have an amazing TEAM that is dedicated to providing the best GUEST service and creating a friendly environment. I will pass on your compliments to them as well as congratulate them on assisting you with your requests.

Our location near the airport does mean that we are just outside of the CBD, but we provide shuttles to the nearby Rhodesfield Gautrain Station that go directly into Sandton.

In addition to our unique aviation theme, our food and beverage TEAM aim to match that with their delicious creations in the restaurant. The TEAM will be motivated to continue doing their best in all areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Clean good value hotel, slighty strange room as shower in room but curtain available to give privacy. Had to call room service to ask for hair drier. Comfortable bed. Restaurant ok but slow service and slightly irratic food ok but nothing special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear CGSFormby

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

We do our best to pay attention to every detail and the housekeeping TEAM will be proud when they hear of your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel.

I apologise for the slow service and inconsistent food offering in the restaurant. This is definitely not something that we are usually proud to offer and I can guarantee that the restaurant TEAM will work on correcting this.

I am however delighted that you found the bed to be comfortable and enjoyed a good night’s rest.

I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back and show you true Protea Hotels hospitality.

Anna Maria Island, FL
Reviewed June 21, 2013

After 17 hours in the air, a respite was welcomed. We were on a tour and just staying one night. After looking at other reviews, I wondered if I was at the same hotel. Our front desk reception, room, and food was much better than just OK. Our short stay was all good and certainly can recommend it for fellow travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank IslandSunAMI
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear IslandSunAMI

Thank you for your kind words of recommendation and valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport is proud to offer a welcoming environment for GUESTS to catch up on some well-deserved rest and relaxation.

Our unique aviation décor sets the tone for what will certainly be an above average airport hotel experience. Your comments emphasize our efforts to continuously provide the best GUEST service along with comfortable rooms and delicious food.

I will be happy to congratulate the TEAM on their efforts to achieve excellence.

Until your next trip, safe travels.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When I do business in Africa, I fly through Johannesburg (OR Tambo) Airport a lot, and sometimes need to stay over. I have tried a few of the airport hotels, and have found this to be good, without breaking my piggy bank. (The Intercontinental is nearly flawless and is right next to the terminal, but costs about 400% more).

Anyway, we were pleased with the service, the rooms, cleanliness as well as special services we required from the hotel staff. I stayed with my brother who can usually find at least one thing to improve upon, but he said this was one of the best hotels he has ever stayed in. I have to say that our stay was excellent.

During our stay, we needed to drive to a client's office which was about 75 minutes from the hotel. Frank, the front office manager, arranged a car and even charged it to our room, since we preferred to pay for this with a credit card. Sometimes it is the little things that people do that make you return. Anyway, everything went well, and I will be back again in July.

Room Tip: Room at the middle of the hotel do not have good internet reception. Stay on either end for better...
1 Thank Peter F
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Peter F

Wow! It was such a pleasure reading your review and thank you for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

Attention to detail in all areas is plays a significant role in the high standards we set for ourselves. I am so happy that the rooms, cleanliness and service were to your liking.
The STAFF do their best to not only maintain, but exceed GUEST expectations and Frank is the perfect example.

We look forward to your next trip in July and please feel free to pop into my office to say hi.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a business hotel with clean but small rooms which are bit inconvenient as already mentioned in a review since shower is in the room. Service and breakfast are fine. Airport shuttle only comes every 30 minutes, so you may need to wait on arrival. Main problem was that wifi is charged by MB rather than by hour, and I got scammed, somehow using up 250 MB within the first 30 minutes of logging on. I usually take a couple of weeks to use that much data. I had to buy more data and ended up being charged over $30 for a couple hours of internet use. Have canceled my return visit here on my way back.

2 Thank ditchnapper
Dear ditchnapper

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

Our close location to the airport with regular shuttle service definitely makes us convenient for business, leisure or transit travelers.

I am truly sorry about how you feel towards the Wi-Fi at the hotel. The first 100mb is complimentary and thereafter one is charged on the data used. This fee is standard across Protea Hotels and we do offer complimentary use of our in-house iPads and a business centre connected to the internet for unlimited use.

Your experience of the food quality and service is wonderful to hear and I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at gm@phortambo.com.