“Airport Convenience”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed one night here before continuing on to Cape Town. I did not think the airport shuttle was difficult to find. I asked for directions at a big information desk in the middle of the terminal. As others stated there are lots of guys who will approach you asking if you need help with a shuttle - just ignore them. They are not aggressive.

It was a short walk to the shuttle area and it was moderately lit. Once there, it was quite clear where the hotel shuttle stops. There is a big sign with the name of the hotel and the times of the shuttle.

I'd already read about the shower setup of the rooms, so I booked separate rooms for my friend and me. Even if the shower was behind a door, the rooms are small and it was good to have my own space after a long flight.

The restaurant food and service were good. I did not find the food expensive as others have commented - at least not compared to hotel food in the U.S.

Check out was at 1100, but they stored my luggage until my flight that afternoon and I took a tour until then.

This is a decent hotel for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor can have noise from the lobby and restaurant area filter up.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Ltathom

I am glad that previous reviews assisted you in preparing for your trip to Johannesburg, so thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor!

We have done our best to ensure that the shuttle is easy to find for all our GUESTS and hearing of your experience assures me that all is in order.

Feedback is extremely important to us and I will be sure to pass on your compliments regarding the tasty food, great value for money and good service to the TEAM.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Cape Town after a comfortable nights’ rest.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived into Johannesburg airport and walked across the road to the bus terminal, this is where the hotel shuttle busses run from. The Protea OR Tambo Airport shuttle runs every 30 mins (on the hour and half hour). The return shuttle runs every 30 mins but at 15 and 45 past the hour. The journey only takes about 15 mins. Make sure you know which hotel you book as there is a Protea Transit hotel inside the airport and at check in a guy had booked there and didn’t realise until he was at this hotel. The hotel does offer late check outs, but its only free until 1pm

The hotel definitely has the aircraft hanger / airplane décor and vibe. The lobby, bar and restaurant area are open plan with high ceilings so you won’t get the intimacy and warmth of some hotels, but you’ll definitely get the uniqueness. The restaurant does an ‘al a carte’ menu but really try to sell you the buffet that they have on. We had the buffet the night we arrived and it was grand but when we saw the made to order food it looked a lot nicer and might have tasted nicer. The restaurant service was average, verging on poor. Both times I used the restaurant there were a lot of staff standing around talking, doing nothing but it was hard to get their attention and then they got my order wrong.

The room was spacious and comfortable with a hair dryer, TV (with a sheet telling you the TV channels and a TV magazine) and tea & coffee making facilities. The toilet was in another room but the shower wasn’t. The shower sits in the bedroom off to the side with the basin. A shower curtain separates the room from the shower area, this was adequate but if someone was in the shower and the other person walked past the shower to go to the toilet or left the room, then they saw everything, so these rooms may not be the best if you’re not intimate with your travelling partner.
Also remember that Johannesburg airport is at a high enough altitude that puts pressure on your toiletries and they squeeze out automatically when you open them. I forgot this and lost about a quarter of my foundation

There is a gym which my other half used and said was fine, there is also a pool and sun loungers outside the bar area but we didn’t use them as it was cold that day. There is also supposed to be Wifi (100mb free) but my iphone never picked it up, but there are 2 iPad units on a stand just beside the bar so you can check emails etc… They have a business centre with computers so you can print boarding passes etc..

One cool thing is that they have a flight simulator, if you go down the corridor beside the bar, in the direction of the toilets you’ll come to a room with a big flight simulator, kept my other half entertained for hours.

I would recommend this hotel to stay in and even to spend time in if you don’t fancy hanging around Johannesburg airport for a long period of time. The atmosphere and vibe is definitely unique

1  Thank littlemissneve

Dear littlemissneve

Thank you for the detailed feedback and for taking the time to write the review on TripAdvisor.

Unique is definitely how we like to viewed, as we are not the average airport hotel. The aviation theme you spoke of creates an experience for all those that visit. I am so thrilled that your other half had fun in the flight simulator. This is just one of the facilities that make a trip to Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport unique.

Beyond the fun décor and aviation theme, we aim to provide the best GUEST service and I am disappointed to hear that your visits to the restaurant were below par. I apologise for this and assure you that I will be attending to this immediately with the TEAM where more training will be scheduled.

I am however pleased that the food from the buffet was enjoyable and that the a la carte meals that you saw looked apetising. The chef and TEAM will be motivated by your positive comments and will continue to provide fresh and tasty dishes.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you back when next in Johannesburg.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just completed a one-night stay. Unfortunately the layout of the room, particularly the bathroom, spoils an otherwise decent hotel.

While the toilet is in a separate small room the shower area is not separated at all from the sleeping area. A glassed-in shower is literally one foot from the bed. There is no door to the shower area; there is a curtain (which in our room was stained) but it only extends halfway across the room and gives the room a hospital-like feel. I’ve never seen anything like it.

While not having a private shower may be OK for some guests it’s simply not acceptable for two friends or colleagues who are sharing a room. You would think a big four-star chain like Protea would have the foresight to at least recognize that such a layout is not conducive for twin bed rooms. But in the remodelling of this property they failed to take this into account.

The lack of privacy also creates a problem when someone accidentally opens the room. The maid opened our door at 8am as apparently this hotel lacks the technology to inform the maid which rooms have already checked out. Fortunately we were still in bed but one of us could have easily been in the shower and the maid would have seen everything.

The shower spoils an otherwise decent hotel. It is a modern property with a good restaurant and a nice lobby area that provides complimentary water and coffee. The only other relatively minor complaint would be that there was no labels at the dinner buffet so there was no way knowing what you were eating.

Room Tip: Avoid facing the highway and airport as it can be noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear BTS836

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

We do our best to ensure that the public areas feel modern and have all the necessary amenities that a GUEST might need. I am pleased that the complimentary water and coffee made an impression. Next time feel free to make use of the i-pads that are connected to the hotel Wi-Fi.

I am really sorry that the room set up had such a large impact on the comfort of your stay. The open plan design is meant to offer more living space; however I completely understand and value your concerns.

I look forward to hosting you once again and ensuring that you have a pleasant stay.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport and there is a free shuttle every half hour at the bus area after you exit the departure hall.

Check-in was quick and easy and the standard room was as expected. I paid US$105 for the night without breakfast. Breakfast was about US$20 which was very good with plenty of options.

There are no close shops or restaurants and walking after dark is not safe.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful. You get the first 100Mb of WIFI for free which is enough to check emails and a little surfing and chatting. There is also a couple of free standing IPads near reception for internet use.

The room has a separate toilet room, but the bathroom is separated only by a curtain. This could be a minor issue if you are not sharing the room with your partner. The curtain is not completely see through proof.

The bed was quite comfy with plenty of pillows and the room has a separate air conditioning control. There is tea and coffee making facilities but no mini-fridge.

The shuttle bus will also drop you at the very nearby Rosenfield train station and it is two stops
to the Stanton station which gets you to the Nelson Mandela Square and shopping centre.

Could not find too much wrong with this airport transit hotel.

Room Tip: Don't walk alone at night
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Ozitravel77

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with such valuable feedback of your recent stay.

We are only too happy to offer our GUESTS a speedy check-in as we know that travels are tiring and all one really wants is a cosy bed and room stocked up with the necessary amenities. I am so pleased that we met your needs in this regard.

Connectivity is essential to keep in touch with loved ones, business associates as well as stay up to date with current affairs. Whether using the i-Pads in the lobby or surfing with the 100mb complimentary Wi-Fi, we will ensure that you are always connected.

The breakfast TEAM will be delighted to know that their hard work towards providing a fresh and wholesome spread was welcomed by you.

Until your next visit to South Africa, we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is really a great transit hotel, if you are either meeting people in Joburg, or in transit through Joburg airport. There is a shuttle service every half an hour. The hotel has an unusual warehouse theme, which I liked. The rooms were fine, and clean, with everything I needed. The restaurant was busy, so I opted for the buffet, which was fine. I think service was slow for those who chose "a la carte". Breakfast was excellent if you can eat loads. I would stay here again if I were connecting flights through Johannesburg. If I wanted to spend a few days in Joburg, I would choose a hotel in Sandton or a more central area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kengele

Thank you for posting such a great review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

We are proud to offer more than just the average airport hotel. Your mention of the warehouse design, which features a variety of aviation elements, is just one of the areas where we aim to achieve this.

It seems that you have picked up on many of our great offerings, from a clean and comfortable room and regular shuttle service to a wide selection of food for breakfast and dinner. The STAFF will be motivated by your comments and they will continue to strive for excellence.

I look forward to your next visit to Johannesburg.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had one night here and it was a great place to crash for one night, prior to an early start the next day. Our room was simple but very clean - and the bed very comfortable. Good food too, breakfast is varied and delicious.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear suzanneowen82

GUEST feedback is very important to us and being referred to as a great airport hotel is wonderful to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are proud to be more than just an airport hotel, with our unique aviation theme décor, flight simulator, serene pool area and delicious food. You pointed out one of the most important parts of the hotel being a clean room and comfortable bed. What more does one need when having a quick stopover before an early start?

I am thrilled that you had a great experience and I will pass on your comments to the TEAM who aim to achieve excellence always.

I hope you enjoyed your honeymoon and had a lovely time in the bush.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed just one night here unfortunately, the hotel was spotlessly clean. Area round the pool was superb. Room was basic but suited us just fine. The restaurant could do with improving, most wines on the list not available, the buffet food is a bit of a rip off, stick to main menu. Staff in the bar were very friendly. Breakfast had an varied selection and good quality. Very relaxing atmosphere - would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Denise S

A GUEST wanting to stay longer is always a good sign, so thank you for sharing your fantastic experience on TripAdvisor.

We set the bar high for attention to detail in all areas of the hotel and I will commend the STAFF on ensuring that the hotel is spotless at all times.

It is disappointing that you had mixed feelings towards the restaurant and, rest assured, I will be attending to this immediately. I am however encouraged that the STAFF in the bar made up for this with their friendly approach.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the relaxing atmosphere at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.