“Unusual warehouse style that works”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is really a great transit hotel, if you are either meeting people in Joburg, or in transit through Joburg airport. There is a shuttle service every half an hour. The hotel has an unusual warehouse theme, which I liked. The rooms were fine, and clean, with everything I needed. The restaurant was busy, so I opted for the buffet, which was fine. I think service was slow for those who chose "a la carte". Breakfast was excellent if you can eat loads. I would stay here again if I were connecting flights through Johannesburg. If I wanted to spend a few days in Joburg, I would choose a hotel in Sandton or a more central area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Kengele

Thank you for posting such a great review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

We are proud to offer more than just the average airport hotel. Your mention of the warehouse design, which features a variety of aviation elements, is just one of the areas where we aim to achieve this.

It seems that you have picked up on many of our great offerings, from a clean and comfortable room and regular shuttle service to a wide selection of food for breakfast and dinner. The STAFF will be motivated by your comments and they will continue to strive for excellence.

I look forward to your next visit to Johannesburg.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had one night here and it was a great place to crash for one night, prior to an early start the next day. Our room was simple but very clean - and the bed very comfortable. Good food too, breakfast is varied and delicious.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear suzanneowen82

GUEST feedback is very important to us and being referred to as a great airport hotel is wonderful to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are proud to be more than just an airport hotel, with our unique aviation theme décor, flight simulator, serene pool area and delicious food. You pointed out one of the most important parts of the hotel being a clean room and comfortable bed. What more does one need when having a quick stopover before an early start?

I am thrilled that you had a great experience and I will pass on your comments to the TEAM who aim to achieve excellence always.

I hope you enjoyed your honeymoon and had a lovely time in the bush.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed just one night here unfortunately, the hotel was spotlessly clean. Area round the pool was superb. Room was basic but suited us just fine. The restaurant could do with improving, most wines on the list not available, the buffet food is a bit of a rip off, stick to main menu. Staff in the bar were very friendly. Breakfast had an varied selection and good quality. Very relaxing atmosphere - would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Denise S

A GUEST wanting to stay longer is always a good sign, so thank you for sharing your fantastic experience on TripAdvisor.

We set the bar high for attention to detail in all areas of the hotel and I will commend the STAFF on ensuring that the hotel is spotless at all times.

It is disappointing that you had mixed feelings towards the restaurant and, rest assured, I will be attending to this immediately. I am however encouraged that the STAFF in the bar made up for this with their friendly approach.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the relaxing atmosphere at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Spent 3 nights here so got to know the place. Loved the artifacts from South African air history. Staff accomodating and the food and wine was reasonable and good. Great breakfast buffet and shuttle to airport and train station where you go take a modern train to the largest shopping center in Joburg. Hotel can arrange for driver guide to take you to Soweto to see Mandela's house and a wonderful museum about the Soweto uprising. Room was solid and we have no complaints about this place as an airport hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bill K

Your title perfectly captures the ambience of the décor at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport!

We are proud to be more than the average airport hotel, with our unique décor and variety of in-house facilities. Keeping history alive is important and we decided to put our own twist on it when designing the hotel. Your feedback is reassuring and I am pleased you enjoyed it and were able to get to know the hotel.

The overall GUEST experience is important to us and the TEAM are committed to offering the best GUEST service in all areas. From the delicious breakfasts and comfortable rooms, to great shuttle options; this is all part of what we are delighted to offer.

Thank you for your review and we hope that you had a wonderful time whilst in South Africa.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Trying to be quirky and themed but came across as warehousey, confused, noisy in an echo way, few drunks around made us feel unsafe, rooms have shower in bedroom separated by a curtain just didn't feel right. Food was rubbish, we ordered shrimp and calamari and onion rings all came soggy and very clear emptied in to a deep fat fryer from a bulk frozen bag - we ate some fries and left, this may be ok for twenty something's or teens but not for us in our forties, I booked this as I have had a great stay at the protea balilaika in sandton and this is a wonderful hotel. This one not for us

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Brashy
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Brashy

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

The hotel is synonymous with the aviation theme given the close proximity to the airport. I am truly sorry that there were some GUESTS that disrupted your stay.

I must say that I was really disappointed when reading your comments about the food. The chef and TEAM are very proud of the fresh produce that they serve. As the prawn and calamari dish is one of our more popular dishes, I can assure you that I will be speaking with the chef to maintain quality.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and wow you with Protea hospitality!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Travelling to and fro, it can get quite tiring. And we didn't want to splurge for the fancy schmancy Intercontinental, but we did have to break our trip to via Joburg airport. So glad we did, so when we departed for Cape Town the next morning we were refreshed. The staff was helpful, but not overly friendly. That was the only think that made our stay a 4/5. I am used to good old SA hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nico N
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Nico N

We are glad you stopped too and thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport is conveniently located and uniquely designed to provide the perfect place to catch up on some rest and relaxation at a very reasonable price.

The STAFF do whatever it takes to ensure that GUESTS receive efficient service with a smile. I will mention your comments to the TEAM and they will be motivated to strive to deliver the best GUEST service.

I hope you had a safe trip to Cape Town and you will visit us again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Nice and clean room, with a huge and very comfortable bed!
Two small complains, the transport to/from the airport is each half hour. My flight arrives at TAMBO airport about 9PM, I got the transportation point at 9:35PM, unhopeful I had to wait 25 minutes until 10PM to the next bus. Transportation buses from other hotels were bigger, modern and really nice, Protea's bus is just appropriate (little old and comparatively small).
After made check-in I went to the restaurant, but it is closing on that moment. That was exactly 10:30PM, they just let me serve myself one time from the boufete, then they cleaned-up and all food disappeared.
In the morning breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jorge B
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Jorge B

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

We understand the importance of a fresh room where the GUEST can relax and get a good night’s rest. Your comments regarding the room are wonderful to hear and affirm that we are on track in our search for excellence.

Our shuttle runs from 04h00 until 23h00 daily between the airport and hotel. I apologise if you had to wait a while. We recommend that on your next trip, to please notify the hotel so they can expect you to exit the airport at a certain time. The same goes for the restaurant as we are only too happy to accommodate GUESTS wherever possible and I am sorry that you felt inconvenienced. I will speak with the TEAM so this is prevented in the future.

Please contact me directly for any queries at gm@phortambo.com.