“A pleasant place to spend a few days in transit”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
The Hague, The Netherlands
“A pleasant place to spend a few days in transit”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had found a great deal on the website of the hotel for my 3-nights layover in Jo'burg. To my pleasant surprise it was also a great deal as accomodation and surroundings go. I was worrried that the rooms would be noisy so close to the airport but as my room was on the parking side away from the airport I could sleep peacefully even with the windows open. My room was good, the restaurant and bar area fine, the swimming pool a pleasure. In addition all staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful sleep even with the windows open aske for a room overlooking the carpark.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Nossim

A pleasant surprise is definitely what GUESTS can find at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. With unique aviation décor and close location to the airport, what more could one ask for?

We have done our best to ensure that the rooms are protected from the noise and it is delightful to receive such positive feedback on your comfortable and peaceful night’s sleep.

I will commend the STAFF on their friendly and helpful service. They are continuously striving to achieve excellence and provide all with the best GUEST service.

Thank you for posting a review and I hope you have a safe trip home.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I normally steer clear of big hotels especially for holidays more because of the impersonal touch it offers, though I love it for business trips! This time we chose the Protea due to its proximity to the airport and it was a pleasant experience. The hotel itself is well done up (shockingly unique for chain hotels especially in these countries) and maintained well. The staff service was very attentive especially in the bar area. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and most importantly sound proof, especially due to its proximity to the airport and the Lufthansa aircraft looking like its ready for boarding from the hotel itself! They also offer a frequent, complimentary and convenient shuttle service to the airport.Was a very good stay.

The reception staff have room for improvement - the sullen, unsmiling welcome one gets does not seem professional. To be fair the check in was smooth but given that this is first point of interaction for a guest to the hotel, the staff attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Between the lackadaisical movements, bored facial expressions and condescending attitudes, the hotel needs to focus on front office training. Asking a guest "Did you understand what I said" in school marmy tones is hardly friendly and downright condescending.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear harrypot

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for writing a review on TripAdvisor.

Exceeding expectations is what we aim for and our décor certainly seemed to do that for you. The aviation theme is there to embrace our unique location to the airport.

Peace and quiet is a necessity when on holiday and I am thrilled that you found comfort in your room with no noise from the airport.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the reception STAFF and will attend to it immediately. We strive to offer the best GUEST service at all times and I apologise that you did not receive this at reception.

We are thrilled that your stay went well and that the shuttle was of benefit to you. Until next time, safe travels.

Brazil
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Close to the airport, about 5 minutes by car (they offer free shuttle from the airport to the hotel every 15/20 minutes i assume).
The rooms (some of them) have views to the airport, which makes the view quite interesting if you like airplanes...
Be aware that sharing a room with someone who's not a wife/relevant person may be embarrassing as the shower is not in a separate area (like a bathroom), but in the room itself, and you can only "cover" this part of the room using a special curtain which is there for it (but it doesn't make a completely closed area for privacy...).
The breakfest is good, internet connection as well (although not included in the regular rate).
Don't stay there if you plan to go to Johannesburg, as it's not close to the city.
It took me like 10 minutes to find out where's the pick up site for the shuttle... you may go all the way thru the corridor where the car rental companies are and look for it there. You may go further after the Intercontinental entrance...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Diego40

Receiving feedback from GUESTS is very valuable to us and our continuous search for excellence. We aim to offer a unique hotel experience to our GUESTS and you picked it up exactly in our aviation décor throughout the hotel.

Our open plan design of the rooms is intended to offer a more spacious environment inside the room. Although the shower is not closed off by a wall, there is a privacy curtain instead.

Our chef sources the freshest produce and creates a variety of dishes for our GUESTS. Breakfast is no different as we understand the importance of having a full tank for the day ahead.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Johannesburg.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed at a number of Protea hotels - and was expecting the usual 'above average' performance from this hotel, but the stay (of one night) was spoilt by the bizarre behaviour at reception.
I handed my credit card over when I checked in (as one does) and expected that to be the end of it until I checked out. But no. Whenever I tried to put something on the room, I had to go to reception to "pay". I have never had this experience before and it was embarassing and utterly unnecessary. I must admit that on the third or fourth occurance, I just lost my temper - not cool, I know - but it was just so unprofessional. Earlier, I had had to wait for almost 20 minutes to check-in (longer than it sounds when you have had a long flight) and then another receptionist was particularly unhelpful when arranging a taxi to Sandton: it all seemed just too much bother.
The hotel itself is decent enough and the funky retro-aviation look is attractive: like steampunk meets Indiana Jones meets Bleriot. The food in the restaurant was good too, if you forget having to schlep out to reception to pay.
Room was on the small side and had the shower at one end, separated just by a screen. It felt a bit cheap (but the room rates were not).
The airport is right outside the window, but access is through by a minibus shuttle and I needed to use a taxi for an early morning departure, so defeating the whole point of an "airport hotel".

I have (twice) stayed at the City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo and MUCH prefer it. With both the InterCon and the City Lodge a 60 second walk from check-in, the Protea would have to do extra to attract the visitor: for me, they blew it. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, not because of the quality or the location but very simply because they treated me shamefully. They knew I was angry when I left, but no-one has ever followed up with me.

Room Tip: The rooms are very well-sound proofed so you won't hear the outside world at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BigBrightBlueSky
Dear BigBrightBlueSky

I was disappointed when reading your title and this continued on into reading of your experience. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience of having to frequently pay at reception. This is by no means the standard and I will be certain to look into the reason for this.

I am, however, pleased that you enjoyed the retro-aviation look that runs throughout the hotel as well as the food the chef prepared for dinner.

Our complimentary scheduled shuttle service runs from 06h00 to 23h00 daily. Should you require an earlier or later shuttle one will need to be organised at an additional cost.

I understand your frustrations and would like to assure you that we do our utmost to offer the best GUEST service at all times. I would like to discuss this further and ask you to contact me at gm@phortambo.com.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel staff were all very nice, the room we stayed in was very clean, the shower and bedroom is seperated by a big curtain which was not a problem, the toilet is in its seperate room which was good.

The facilities were good, with free wi-fi and a big lounge/bar area overlooking the pool and outdoor area, there is also a business centre with a computer and free coffee.
The outdoor area is very large with grassed area and quite a large pool and some comfy seating areas around the area.
Accross the road from the pool is the airport and you can see a few planes which provides some entertainment.

The area we had dinner was accross from the bar area, the food was excellent and the service was also very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear benclear100

What a great review and I am so happy that you had such a wonderful time during your recent stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport.

From clean and comfortable rooms, 100mb free Wi-Fi, business facilities and complimentary coffee; you definitely managed to fit in some of the great aspects that make our hotel so special. Not to mention the refreshing outdoor area with pool and delicious food that the Chef and TEAM offer.

Thank you for your feedback and we wish you a safe trip back to Australia.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The theme of the hotel seems to be "airplane". There is a free shuttle from the airport, every half and every full hour. Follow the ,Bus " sign. The last one leaves at 23.00. The rooms are modern, no carpet. The shower and the bed are actually in the same room. We had two rooms, one was perfect, in the other one we had problems with the flushing. But the staff is very helpfull.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xonthebeach
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear xonthebeach

We are so proud of our aviation theme throughout the hotel that definitely sets us apart from the rest. It is great that you enjoyed this aspect and thank you for commenting on TripAdvisor.

Our open plan designed rooms aim to provide GUESTS with more space in the room. I apologise that the flushing in the one room caused you some problems. However, I am happy that the TEAM was helpful and managed to correct it.

The shuttles make a stopover in Johannesburg that much easier. They run from 06h00 to 23h00 everyday between the airport and the hotel.

I trust you had a successful trip to South Africa and hope you have safe trip home.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Very close to the airport, but not much else. Nice outdoor area for drinks. Free wifi but didn't work very well. Friendly staff. Good place for being close to airport for leaving early or arriving late. Room was fairly small with 2 twin beds. Nice bar and breakfast area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank belllasadie
Dear belllasadie

We value GUEST feedback and thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

Our location near the airport is definitely convenient, especially when leaving very early or late just as you mentioned. The complimentary scheduled shuttles also assist with making things as smooth as possible.

I am sorry that the Wi-Fi did not work as well as you would have liked. We are very aware of the importance of internet access for GUESTS and will look in to this issue immediately.

As far as the rest of your stay, I will definitely congratulate the STAFF as they continue to provide the best GUEST service and your comments affirm that.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for staying with Protea Hotels during your trip to South Africa and I hope you enjoyed your safari.