“Convenience”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Australia
“Convenience”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very convenient for an overnight stay. Staff were excellent and the dining, especially breakfast, one of the best we've ever had. Pool area very relaxing after a long flight. Will stay there again when next flying through J'burg.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BornToTravelx2
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear BornToTravelx2

Thank you for your 5-star rating and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Travelling is exhausting and after a long flight our close location to the airport is a bonus. The relaxing time by the pool is only a short shuttle ride away.

Service excellence is one of our pillars and I am thrilled that the STAFF was able to express this during your stay. I will congratulate them on providing the best GUEST service that we continually strive to offer.

I look forward to your next visit and the breakfast that you enjoyed so much will be waiting for you.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Nice hotel, and great for overnight airport stops. The room was small, but comfortable and clean. Nice cozy bar area. Good food in the restaurant and great breakfast. We stayed here after a very long overseas flight and it was perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear K R

I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that the hotel was ‘perfect’ for your needs.

Providing an all-round positive experience is very important to us. This is highlighted in your review with the mention of comfortable and clean rooms to the satisfying food in the restaurant. To top it all off, our location just minutes away from the airport allows GUESTS to relax knowing that our complimentary scheduled shuttles will get them to the airport in time.

Thank you for visiting us and I hope that your entire trip to South Africa was enjoyable.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here for a week in Jan 2013. For a night its Ok but the small room became a little restrictive after a few days.Its a great shame that bigger windows or even a balcony were not encorporated into the design as the views over the Airfield would make a great attraction and fit in well with the hotels unique aeronatical theme (which is good).
A word of warning re the breakfast and meals - for a simple tea and toast at breakfast "the management" tried to charge for a full cooked breakfast which resulted in an unplesant dispute and remained unresolved throughout my stay. I was also given the wrong food bill on 2 other occasions and had my laundry lost twice!!. Requests and promises to speak to the mananagement failed so I decided to move out and give somewhere else my business for the second weeks work in Joburg. So could do a lot better on the Customer service here Im afraid especially for guests who plan on staying longer than a transit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear boeing_gone

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport.

Your experience with us is extremely disappointing and I am really sorry for the issues that you faced.

We take GUEST service seriously and I can assure you that we will urgently be addressing your comments about the breakfast, laundry and requests to speak with management.

My apologies once again and I hope to be able to host you in the future to show you true Protea Hospitality.

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed January 30, 2013

wonderful hotel, well appointed rooms and friendly staff. the pool area and bar a great looking across to the airport, great for people who love watching planes, Bar staff are nice and friendly, though bar and room service shut down at 11pm a little early for some. great free shuttle to airport and train station. tip taking the high speed Gautrain is a lot cheaper from Rhodesfield station than OR Tambo, and has a great network for getting around greater Joburg and Pretoria areas, in conclusion great hotel that is well situated for most travellers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David M
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear dwmelec

With the number of times that ‘great’ was mentioned, I think it is safe to say that we achieved greatness during your stay. Thank you for writing a review and expressing such joy about our hotel.

Being so close to the airport, we boast spectacular views of all the action from various areas of the property. At the same time, I am glad you were able to find the peace and quiet by the pool in the company of our friendly TEAM.

I am sorry if the bar closing times affected your stay, but we have over time decided that this was the best option to reduce noise levels.

The Gautrain is perfect for connect to the CBD and Pretoria as you mentioned, and the Rhodesfield Station is just minutes away.

It was a pleasure hosting you and I hope that your trip back to the cape went well.

Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent one night in this hotel for a transit, found the design original (planes history in an industrial layout). Room looked OK, large, nice shower, as well as very comfortable bed, but the window is a single layer glass!!!! just in front of the airport and highway, very noisy if you are sensitive to sound! to be avoided,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Rafik B

Thank you for your comments and appreciation for our unique aviation theme throughout the hotel.

We understand how important a good night’s rest is and I am therefore truly sorry for the noise that disturbed you during your stay. We receive minimal GUEST comments regarding the noise levels but your feedback is important to us and I will definitely be looking into this area.

Furthermore, your positive comments towards the rooms and large shower, as well as a comfortable bed are welcomed and true to the quality we are proud to offer.

I hope the rest of your travels went well and hope to see you again in the future.

Hallevik, Sweden
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is situated very convenient close to the airport. The staff working in the bar and restaurant are wonderful and very efficient. The food lovely and the breakfast perfect with lots to choose between.
However, the staff in the reception had a quite a bad attitude. I arrived around 11am and asked if there was a room available. It was not and she pointed out that the check in time was 2pm. I was aware of that and understood. After one hour I asked again and still no room. Another hour later, still no room. I got my room at 2pm. I could accept this if it was not for that I saw at least 10 people that got their room long time before me and they got there later than I. Could it be because I book and paid through an travel agency and it was cheaper? I don't know. When checking out I asked for a plaster/band aid. Did I get one? No. They didn't have any. I have stayed in this hotel many times before but I will not go there anymore.

1 Thank Birgit B
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Pellerina

As you mentioned, our location is really special as it is close to the airport and gives GUESTS an aviation experience to remember.

Thank you for mentioning the wonderful and efficient STAFF that you encountered in some areas of the hotel. However, I would like to apologise about the issue regarding your check in and your disappointing interaction with the STAFF. I assure you that I have already scheduled them all for additional training as offering the best GUEST service is a high priority. We have also implemented daily checks of the first aid boxes to ensure we never run out of plasters again.

Compliments towards the delicious food and breakfast selection are appreciated and will only provide the chef with inspiration and motivation to continue providing the freshest produce.

I do hope to welcome you back again during your next trip.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed one night whilst transiting through Johannesburg.

The reception staff were helpful and polite and the process smooth.

The rooms are perfectly good but the shower in the room does need some thought but once you accept it the rooms are nice and work well.

The food is of a good standard and the service and staff were very nice.

As a transit hotel I would stay again but not for an extended stay in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear davidiafrica

I am glad to hear that you had a positive stop over at our hotel during your recent trip to South Africa.

When travelling in a foreign country, it helps when one is welcomed by helpful and polite people, and the STAFF which you mentioned is exactly that. They thrive on providing a warm and friendly environment, as well as offering the best GUEST service.

The shower in the room is a unique design element to provide the GUEST with more space within the room. It is great that you were able to enjoy the benefits of this as well as the other room amenities.

Thank you for your review and I wish you safe travels back to the United Kingdom.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo