Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent one night in this hotel for a transit, found the design original (planes history in an industrial layout). Room looked OK, large, nice shower, as well as very comfortable bed, but the window is a single layer glass!!!! just in front of the airport and highway, very noisy if you are sensitive to sound! to be avoided,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Rafik B

Thank you for your comments and appreciation for our unique aviation theme throughout the hotel.

We understand how important a good night’s rest is and I am therefore truly sorry for the noise that disturbed you during your stay. We receive minimal GUEST comments regarding the noise levels but your feedback is important to us and I will definitely be looking into this area.

Furthermore, your positive comments towards the rooms and large shower, as well as a comfortable bed are welcomed and true to the quality we are proud to offer.

I hope the rest of your travels went well and hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is situated very convenient close to the airport. The staff working in the bar and restaurant are wonderful and very efficient. The food lovely and the breakfast perfect with lots to choose between.
However, the staff in the reception had a quite a bad attitude. I arrived around 11am and asked if there was a room available. It was not and she pointed out that the check in time was 2pm. I was aware of that and understood. After one hour I asked again and still no room. Another hour later, still no room. I got my room at 2pm. I could accept this if it was not for that I saw at least 10 people that got their room long time before me and they got there later than I. Could it be because I book and paid through an travel agency and it was cheaper? I don't know. When checking out I asked for a plaster/band aid. Did I get one? No. They didn't have any. I have stayed in this hotel many times before but I will not go there anymore.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Birgit B
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Pellerina

As you mentioned, our location is really special as it is close to the airport and gives GUESTS an aviation experience to remember.

Thank you for mentioning the wonderful and efficient STAFF that you encountered in some areas of the hotel. However, I would like to apologise about the issue regarding your check in and your disappointing interaction with the STAFF. I assure you that I have already scheduled them all for additional training as offering the best GUEST service is a high priority. We have also implemented daily checks of the first aid boxes to ensure we never run out of plasters again.

Compliments towards the delicious food and breakfast selection are appreciated and will only provide the chef with inspiration and motivation to continue providing the freshest produce.

I do hope to welcome you back again during your next trip.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed one night whilst transiting through Johannesburg.

The reception staff were helpful and polite and the process smooth.

The rooms are perfectly good but the shower in the room does need some thought but once you accept it the rooms are nice and work well.

The food is of a good standard and the service and staff were very nice.

As a transit hotel I would stay again but not for an extended stay in my opinion.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear davidiafrica

I am glad to hear that you had a positive stop over at our hotel during your recent trip to South Africa.

When travelling in a foreign country, it helps when one is welcomed by helpful and polite people, and the STAFF which you mentioned is exactly that. They thrive on providing a warm and friendly environment, as well as offering the best GUEST service.

The shower in the room is a unique design element to provide the GUEST with more space within the room. It is great that you were able to enjoy the benefits of this as well as the other room amenities.

Thank you for your review and I wish you safe travels back to the United Kingdom.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed before and after a trip to Kruger and had stayed once before.
The location is good, the hotel has a shuttle - just outside Arrivals and clearly signposted, just behind the Intercontinental Hotel - which runs every 30 mins.
I arrived mid morning but my room was ready.
The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. From the moment you arrive you feel welcome.
The rooms are clean and modern. There is a super restaurant offering good, well priced food. A special mention for Thabo the cook. Cheerful and smiling the whole time.
Free wi fi with a decent allowance.
Lovely pool area with spacious grounds and comfortable seats.
This is a great hotel, leisure or business, families, couples or singles.

• Stayed: January 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Simon W

We are so happy to have welcomed you back and are grateful for such a fantastic review.

It seems that your stay with us was a home run from beginning to end. Our shuttle service that picks up and drops off at the airport is a real bonus and GUESTS continue to show their appreciation for it. We are therefore delighted that you found it convenient and as you mentioned, the shuttles go to and from the airport every half hour – ensuring GUESTS have sufficient time to catch their flight. Currently, the first one leaves the hotel at 06h15 and the last one leaves from the airport is at 22h30.

Our facilities in the hotel; be it the restaurant, swimming pool or comfortable rooms are what we are known for and so proud to offer. To top that off, your comments regarding the ‘friendly and helpful’ STAFF are welcomed and affirm that we are achieving our goal of offering the best GUEST service.

Thank you for your review and I hope that you had a safe trip back to the United Kingdom.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went to this hotel as couples and the theme of the hotel is amazing, as well as staff, breakfast and everything. I recommend this hotel to anyone business or leisure, thank you very much Protea O.R Tambo

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Mnyakeni M

What a spectacular review. Thank you so much for your support and positive comments.

Being a neighbour to the airport, it only seemed fitting to incorporate an aviation theme throughout the hotel; from the unique pieces of art in the lobby, to the views of the runway from the rooms. I am so glad that you enjoyed the theme as much as we do.

An all-round positive experience is part of our search for excellence and what we strive to achieve for every GUEST. Your comments confirm that we are on the right path and the STAFF will be pleased and motivated by your feedback.

Thank you once again for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed here after arriving from a long and late flight from Amsterdam. We had been traveling 24+ hrs, planned to drive to Kruger Park the next day, and wanted a good night's sleep. This hotel gave us exactly that. It is modern without being cold. It is conveniently located. It is clean. The breakfast buffet was good with a lot of choices and I didn't think it was expensive compared to other standard hotel breakfast buffets in the US. The shuttle was convenient, but note that it is not available 24 hrs, I think the last pick up from the airport is at 10 pm. We didn't take it from the airport and got dropped off at the car rental place so I don't know exactly where the shuttle stop is, but I think I remember reading it's behind the InterCon hotel. For your reference, when you leave the airport, the InterCon is immediately in front of you (you just have to cross a couple of pedestrian lanes) so the stop should be very easy to locate.

Overall a great hotel for the purpose of spending a night near OR Tambo.

Room Tip: We arranged for a "meet and greet" for 450 rands through the hotel but no one showed up...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear mdavidohoh

You certainly travelled for a lengthy time and I am sure that it was exhausting. It was our pleasure to be able to provide you with the perfect location and comfortable beds for the night.

I would like to apologise for the “meet and greet” that you requested, but did not seem to arrive. I would like to further investigate this matter and ask if you could contact me directly via email to provide me with more details at gm@phortambo.com. Currently our shuttles go to and from the airport every half hour. The first one leaves the hotel at 06h15 and the last one leaves from the airport at 22h30.

We are proud of our breakfast offering which does include a wide selection of hot and cold dishes. All of which are imperative for travellers to fill up their tanks for the next leg of the journey. In your case, I am glad to see that you and your sister had a successful trip to the Kruger National Park. Maybe on your next visit you will be able to catch a glimpse of that illusive leopard.

Thank you for your review and I hope you had a safe trip back to Washington.

Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

This airport hotel is fine for a stopover, the breakfast is good and the transportation is on-time.

If you are looking for something more upscale, there is an Intercontinental within walking distance of the terminal.

• Stayed: January 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear SRR74

Getting some well-deserved rest between flights definitely helps during stopovers. Take a short drive with our complimentary scheduled transfer to and from the airport and we will have you relaxing in no time.

Thank you for you positive comments regarding our breakfast offering. A comfortable bed and tasty breakfast are key ingredients for a successful stay over.

I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and wish you safe travels.