“Airport Hotel”

Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed December 10, 2012

An airport hotel having an airport atmosphere. The hotel seems to be not so old, but already a bit used. Anyhow, the hotel is ok for one night. Aiport shuttle is available. Dinner and breakfast was ok. Medium SA standard.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CH_FreqTraveller
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear CH_FreqTraveller

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport.

Meeting and exceeding GUESTS’ expectations is very important to us and I am disappointed that we did not achieve this during your stay. I will definitely share your feedback with my TEAM, so we can improve where necessary.

Should you stay with us again, we would welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

I hope that you had a successful trip to South Africa and got to see some wildlife on your trip to Kruger National Park.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This upbeat hotel was too far away from the terminal to walk but an easy efficient shuttle bus solves that problem. This place is modern, artistic, nice staff, very adequate rooms. Good value for money. I'd stay there again any time. I frequently use transit hotels passing through Jo'burg airport and this one is up there in the winning category!

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a view of the Airport and got just what I asked for.
1  Thank James N
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear James N

We are conveniently located just minutes from the airport and it is pleasing to hear that you found our complimentary shuttles from the airport ‘easy and efficient’.

Your feedback as a frequent transit traveller is much appreciated, especially that you rated us so highly in all areas from décor to service. This will assist us in our continuous search for excellence and offering quality at all times.

Enjoy the rest of your worldly travels.

Protea Hotel OR T ambo Airport

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel is a perfect place to stay between flights. The hotel has got very nice common areas and although the rooms are not very big, they are very nicelly decorated and modern. The service was very good in general and the shuttle between the hotel and the airport was very convenient.

1  Thank Sofia A
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Sofia A

We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and its unique location near the airport.

It is our aim to provide the best GUEST service and the STAFF will be pleased to hear of your comments. We appreciate your feedback regarding the modern rooms and comfortable common areas.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Well, my first impression was not very good for some reasons, however, they have taken a very quick corrective actions to make my stay pleasant and comfortable.

My check in was a little bit time consuming but as soon as they realized that they could correct this situation very quickly by offering a very special compliment which means that they really care about the customer which is their business.

Very special thanks to Lindia Mangels (GUEST Relations Manager) and General Manager, Gawie Nel for their caring and interest to make their customer EXTREMELY satisfied.

So, I'll look forward to stay here again and again and I advise and recommend others to stay here as well.

Regarding the room cleanliness, it couldn't be any better as well as the room services, the hotel staff are super friendly and informative.

Actually it was my first time in my life to stay at a room that is very close to the airport so it was a new experience for me and nice as well.

There's a free shuttle bus since the morning until 11:00 pm on daily basis from and to the airport, which means that if you wanna go to any of the airport restaurant at night for dinner it will be possible and will take only 5 mins.

They have a very very good gym, and I wished I could use it but I had no time for that.

Final conclusion is, it's a very good place to stay not only as a transit overnight but also for even one week as my case.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Khaledmaged

Dear Khaledmaged

Thank you for posting such a detailed and positive review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport.

Meeting and exceeding GUEST expectations play an important role in our hotel and this is evident from your comments regarding the friendly STAFF and wide variety of services we offer. I will pass on your comments to the TEAM, who will be delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay.

We are grateful for your words of recommendation and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having travelled for 14hrs from Australia and needing a hotel for one night close to the airport providing a comfortable bed but no airport noise I found that this hotel matched my needs perfectly. The staff are very friendly, the room I had though not large was very quiet, room service happy to please, and breakfast expansive and so value for money. The free shuttle a plus.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Sandra T
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Sandra T

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Travelling can be exhausting and a 14 hour flight is no exception. I am so happy that Protea Hotel OR Tambo was able to provide you with everything that you required.

We know how important breakfast is and the TEAM will be delighted to hear your comments as it will only inspire them to do better.

I hope that the rest of your travels went well.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

While travelling, our group had the pleasure of staying here on 2 different occasions. Being 10 minutes from the airport, it allowed for a longer night sleep - we had early morning flights. The beds were extra comfortable / the pillows had a nice smell. This breakfast buffet had the best presentation, the best variety and the best taste of all our South Africa hotels. The dinner buffet was good. We found the dining room too noisy - too much echo - to want to spend any time there. There is a nice, open concept bar and a nice pool area which we were not able to enjoy due to our schedule.
There was no noise from the airplanes. The noise was from the hallway. It really sounded like our door was opened whenever someone talked in the hallway. So,... be quiet, to respect others if you stay here.
We did not like the modern design of having the shower and sink beside the bed. Careful ... the shower floor and tiles in the room are a very slippery combination. Being from North Ameria, we were shocked not to find faceclothes - bring your own ! The room had everything else - from a large safe, hair dryer, nice toiletries, kettle, regular and decaf instant coffee. The electrical outlet was a large 3 round pin, similar to what we have for clothes dryer in North America.
We would stay here again because of the perfect location.

2  Thank belleamie10

Dear belleamie10

I am sure that you had a trip packed with lots of flights and early mornings. Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport is only too happy to have provided you with some well-deserved sleep during your visit.

Your compliments regarding our breakfast are appreciated; the Chef and TEAM will be thrilled when I pass on your feedback.

I apologise for the noise that you experienced and I hope that your sleep was not disturbed.

All in all, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you had a lovely trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on 2 separate occasions in early October. As others have written it is conveniently located being only 5 minutes by small bus transfer from the airport. The ground floor decor is very nice and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. This was the cheapest accommodation we stayed at in our 3 weeks in Africa and it was reflected in the level of fit-out in the rooms. Whilst basic it was clean and more than adequate as we were only transiting and catching up on some well deserved sleep.
Our only complaint is related to our second night when we were given a smoking room. We complained and were told that all the non-smoking rooms were taken. We highlighted that we had booked and paid for non-smoking 3 months earlier and this was unacceptable. We were then told a non-smoking room would be available in 3 hours so we reluctantly said we would wait. In the absence of any real apology or offer of compensation I suggested free drinks in the bar would be appropriate and these were provided. To our pleasant surprise the room was available in around 30 minutes and was slightly larger than the one we had stayed in previously.

2  Thank SCS62
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear SCS62

Thank you for staying with us during your recent expedition in Africa. We appreciate your compliments and have taken note of your concern.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused with regards to your request for a non-smoking room. I am however glad that the STAFF was friendly and helpful and you were able to get that all important sleep you needed. I would also like to let you know that we are in the process s of reducing the number of smoking room to create more non-smoking rooms for our GUESTS.

The TEAM hopes you have arrived back home safely.