“Beautifully decorated and modern, but a few cautions”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Seattle, WA
“Beautifully decorated and modern, but a few cautions”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed two different nights here as we were transiting through Jo-burg as our trip's "hub".
Note that the wash basin and shower are actually within the bedroom area (the toilet is enclosed in a small room). This layout means it’s impossible for one person to get up and get ready without disturbing the other person who may want to sleep longer. Similarly, this layout is not at all conducive to business colleagues who must bunk in the same room, since it allows for very little privacy.
Also, if you’re a non-smoker, ask for a room well away from the smoking rooms (which I was told were on the 3rd floor). The first night we stayed here, we were on the 2nd floor and could smell smoke coming from adjacent rooms, which was very bothersome and resulted in a poor night’s sleep. The second stay, I specifically asked for a room away from the smoking rooms and thankfully did not have that problem (we were on the 1st floor for the second night).
I have no idea why they falsely advertise on third party travel websites that they have Temperpedic beds. They do NOT. The hotel has nice, modern décor and the beds are suitably comfortable, but are definitely not Temperpedic.
We had breakfast at the restaurant, which was a little pricey, but the food was good with a decent variety (both the cold and hot options).
At Jo-burg airport, catch the hotel’s complimentary shuttle at the airport Bus Terminal (follow “Bus Terminal” signs in the airport), which comes every half hour at :00 and :30. Ignore all of the “helpful” shuttle porters who con their way into helping you find your way in expectation of a gratuity. Just tell them no thanks you know where you are going, because as soon as you tell them what hotel shuttle you’re waiting/looking for, they will “helpfully” escort you and/or wait for the shuttle with you and then expect a tip. (While I don’t mind advancing the country’s economy, I don’t like having to tip someone when they did nothing and I didn’t ask for their help.)
The hotel-to-airport shuttle leaves the hotel every half hour at :15 and :45.
The second night they required a 300 Rand deposit charged to our credit card, which was refunded (less the roughly 5 Rand tourism levy) upon check-out. For some reason, they didn’t do this when we stayed the first night.
We didn’t attempt to use the internet/Wifi, particularly since others had complained about the data restrictions and speed.

Room Tip: I was told the 3rd floor is where the smoking rooms are located.
1 Thank T-birdTraveler98
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear T-birdTraveler98,

I refer to your review that brings to light your concerns regarding our smoking non-smoking rooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and your wife.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel with a detailed overview as this allows us a proper inside view of the quality of service and product we provide to our GUESTS.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenienced caused to you due to the smoke smell in the room. The fact that the room smelled like smoke is concerning to me and should have been reported by our STAFF. I can assure you that I discussed this with my room attendants and supervisors and explained the importance of reporting this. This will most certainly not happen again as we are truly most displeased that you had such an unpleasant experience with us as a result of such occurrences.

However this being said, I am still sincerely sorry that your experience was not to the expectation you deserved from a Protea Hotel! I can assure you, that your comments have been noted very seriously. There is absolutely no excuse for the fact that we completely failed you in delivering the quality you deserve from the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. As this is most certainly NOT the standard set by Protea Hotels.

I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport again, to show you what true Protea Hospitality is all about and to have the opportunity to alter your opinion and hopefully re-establish your faith in Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport again.
Should you have any comments, please feel free to contact me directly and we will gladly assist you.

Best Regards

Gawie Nel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Blackburn,Lancashire,UK
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I only stayed over the one nigh, and I had not previously heard of this hotel my office booked me in as I was en route from Mozambique.
The hotel was excellent very clean and very quite ( Considering there was two A 380 aircraft parked up against the fence directly facing my room).
The bar was excellent and not overpriced as is often the case with airport hotels, if I had to make a critisim it would be on the slow service in the resturant.
The overall impression was of good value and I will definitely use this hotel again when flying through OR Tambo.

1 Thank Mudengineer
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Mudengineer,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport

We would just like to express our thanks for your words of appreciation. At The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport, we take pride in delivering the best GUEST service and commit ourselves to getting the basics right consistently. Without your comments we will never know when we are doing right and more importantly when we are doing wrong.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to hosting you again in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed only for 1 night and selected purely for convenience. We arrived late in the afternoon and had an early departure the next morning. We essentially wanted a place to freshen up & rest and this ticked all the boxes. We requested a room facing the tar mac as the hotel is very close to the airport (although not within walking distance). The hotel vibe is very aeronautical which was quite funky and suited its location perfectly.

The room (level 5) was spacious, clean and comfortable. we did not leave the hotel other than to have breakfast the next morning which was very nice and a great selection which proved to be the best decision as there was not a lot of options to choose from at the airport. Price was excellent for the quality of accommodation received. Perfect for a stop over!

The free complimentary shuttle bus to and from the airport is a big plus, although be careful of the annoying "porters" at Jo-Burg airport who target tourists, insisting they carry their luggage to the bus departure point behind the Intercontinental hotel which is where the shuttle collects you from, any assistance they provide even providing directions they want gratuity in return. The location is not hard to find so I suggest look on Google maps prior so you know where to go rather than seek assistance.

Other than this we could not fault the hotel and would easily stay again.

Room Tip: Request a room on Level 5 facing the tar mac. It was very quite and provides a better view than the...
3 Thank Aussie_Traveller1970
Dear Aussie_Traveller1970,

We were most pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and that the great location. As you might be aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently and for that reason I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best

Best regards

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

What an appalling experience! Poor service! They kept me going up and down the building because they were unsure whether they would deliver it to the room or not. Poor training or a total confusion on the staff handling the orders. The service is frustrating. And an apology would always help the situation, but the staff at the establishment dont understand that.

I would not reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Milton M,

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Firstly, please allow me to offer you my most sincere apologies for the fact that the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport did not meet your expectations.

You are an extremely important client to Protea Hotels and I assure you that your experience in no way represents the standard we're trying to achieve. We are as committed as ever to providing each GUEST with a most memorable and magnificent Protea Hotels service experience.

Should you wish to discuss your service experience with me in more detail, please let me know when would be a convenient time for me to contact you.

Best regards,

Nairobi
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel is decent.One complaint though is the service, especially the one I received today. I made a room service order. After about an hour, I called to inquire why my order was taking long. I was told I hadn't placed an order (it would have sounded better if someone said they forgot the order). 2 hours after i place the order is when i get the food. I'm not the first one this has happened to.
Courtesy does go a long way.

I would recommend a stay at a hotel where the service is better.

Dear lenchiiz,

I refer to your recently completed GUEST comment card. On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. I would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us.

I wish to confirm that I have personally followed up on your comments and rectified the shortcomings in our service that you have brought to our attention.

Thank you for taking the time to report your constructive criticism as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Iwe hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport again, to show you what true Protea Hospitality is all about and to have the opportunity to alter your opinion and hopefully re-establish your faith in Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport again.To make your reservation, kindly contact me directly at telephone (011) 977 2600 or e-mail my GUEST Relations Manager on guestrelations@phortambo.com.

Your interest and concern are truly invaluable to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance whatsoever.

Yours sincerely

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived at the the hotel tired and hungry but perked up once we saw what a nice room we were in, and then perked up even more with the amazing food offered buffet-style in the dining room. The staff was friendly, the hotel had a cozy feel to it, and breakfast was as good as dinner.

We would happily stay here again when needing to overnight in Jo'burg near the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear everlate,

It really is so rewarding to receive such an exemplary review regarding your impressive stay with us. We are really pleased that we could make your stay a great one. One of our Protea Principles, “In Search of Excellence” appears to be very fitting at this moment and that is why GUEST feedback is so important to us so that we may ensure we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations. Your comments are much appreciated and truly invaluable to us and it will be a true pleasure to convey to the TEAM who made it all possible.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best

Best Regards

WC
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Very nice room which looked out on the airport and the plane in which our daughter was leaving! Beds were great, and so were the shower and bath. The room was too hot to have a good sleep in though and although it was a non smoking room, we could smell smoke through the ventilation system. Would book again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear TWKNL,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on 'tripadvisor'. This is very much appreciated. We were delighted to read that your experience all round was such a positive one.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,