“One night stand”

Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 5 times. The hotel still clean (but I felt a foul odor coming from the shower, I have to run the hot water for a few minutes). The free WiFi was very slow, I could not used Skype, so I have to send a message for everybody else to call me at the hotel. the shower now is covered with a Shower curtain to offer some privacy. I didn't have breakfast because I have to be at the airport at 7 am. Breakfast starts at 6:30.
the shuttle service at the airport was confusing because the van had a sign "i tours".. The rooms are still clean, and quiet but the staff is not as great as they were in the begining. They have not at the front desk, so we have to use a long kitchen knife to cut some plastic strips. The restaurant is too noisy for me. I had room service, the food was decent. I still think that this a good option for one night, but I think that I am going to try another hotel next time. Thanks Maria

Room Tip: See if it's possible to find a room opposite to the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear HiperSantiaguina,

We are in receipt of your Comment on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us at the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, thus assisting us in continually improving our standards.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the disappointment you experienced due to our lack of Customer Service. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our hotel TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

We appreciate your bringing the shortcomings and problems you experienced to our attention and the constructive way in which this was done. We can assure you that your comments have been taken to heart and addressed with the people concerned, and that corrective action has been taken.
We continually strive to deliver excellent GUEST service and ongoing training will be done with all of our STAFF to address these matters.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport to show you what true hospitality is all about.

Many thanks and best regards,

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have stayed at many protea hotels around S A. This has excellent service. When travelling to Johannesburg I usually stay here. Excellent, friendly service. Good food. Very helpful staff. Close to airport and quite central to do business. ORT is unique and special to this hotel. You will have to stay over to see ORT.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Mr Emge,

Thank you for your amazing review. It is great to welcome you back everytime, you are part of the Protea Hotel OR Tambo family.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you home and to hearing from you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2012

To be honest, it was my first trip to Joburg and having heard so much about the rate of development and security issues, I was not expecting much from an airport hotel....but wow, was I impressed. The hotel in itself is a talking point - converted from an airport hangar, its overall design was very unique, with aircraft engine parts tastefully converted into decorative pieces and tyres that double up as seats at the bar. It reminds you of an industrial loft in NYC and a lot more. The front desk staff was so helpful, patient, knowledgeable and polite. Precious is absolutely a joy to talk to - ever enthusiastic and helpful. Free marshmellows, water and hot beverages await tired guests at the lobby and our rooms were nicely furnished with an interesting shower area. Very good value for money and I would recommend this airport hotel over established ones like Inter-Con. Will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Equuleus,

We were most pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and that the great location and security was a complementing element. As you might be aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently and for that reason I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I enjoyed staying 2 days here while I was traveling out of Tambo. The decor is modern and the place smells amazing. The rooms were very clean. The staff is as nice as can be and will go out of their way to help you out. I was torn between a vote of average and very good, but the staff's great personalities helped me get over that fence.

Pros- very good dinner buffet, very clean, heat and hot water!, staff that will go out of their way to help you, a wonderful smelling hotel and room (seriously, how do they get it to smell that good?), and easy hotel shuttle every 30 minutes from Tambo (1.walk outside of the airport, following the "hotels" sign 2. walk through the little sidewalk between the InterContinental and the airport 3. You will arrive at the bus terminal. You have to keep a close watch! There are alot of buses and you have to watch for yours. It will not read Protea, it will read "I-tours"

Cons- The room was one of the smaller ones I have stayed in, but the niceness and cleanliness made up for it. It is LOUD. I could hear the phone ringing all the way downstairs every few minutes, 3 floors below. I would recommend asking for a room away from the central staircase and reception to help alleviate some of that noise.

Wireless- I know some people were having some trouble with wi-fi. I went down to reception and asked for help. They were able to give me a voucher number that I typed in directly to the website to log on. All was good after that.

Overall, a good hotel. I would definitely recommend it as a safe and trustworthy Tambo hotel and absolutely would stay there again on a return trip. It's good for a short layover. If you have time, they will also help you organize tours and day trips from that location!

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator and central staircase- noisy.

Dear Serendipity2478,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport
Your support of our hotel is sincerely appreciated.
At the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport, we realize that our STAFF is our most important asset, which is why we always write the word in capital letters. Thank you for reminding us of this.

With your next stay with us we will share our secret with you over a nice cup of coffee.We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel prides itself on being trendy and hip, and I agree with that. However, it is not for the business traveler. Internet is spotty, and there is barely any public area in the hotel that is either quiet, relaxing or has sufficient table space to work. I felt more like I was at a nightclub than at a hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the worse the Internet. I had to wait an hour for it to send five e-mails.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Good day Peter F,

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to write a review during your stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced throughout your stay regarding the internet and the room move is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured that your comments will be adressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

I can assure you, on your arrival Friday 3 August the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport TEAM will make the effort to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is one of the worst choices I had for stay at the airport area. Rooms are small, noisy if they are facing the highway (single glazed windows), internet didn't work for like days when I checked in so I had to stay off line during my stay, staff are moody, design is very unique and most likely wouldn't be favoured by everyone. Worst thing is the area as it is on the opposite side of the highway and if you drive there you will have to go through very not friendly areas of Kempton Park whilst the hotel directions are also very poorly signed. Go and stay with the Southern Sun OR Tambo instead as they are on the airport, much better quality and would charge you the same rate!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Magellan16,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the internet that was faulty. During 2 weeks in February we had huge problems with internet in the whole Airport node, due to Telkom Data lines being damaged no one could connect to the internet. Unfortunately this was out of our hands and we tried to communicate with most of our in-house GUEST.
It is concerning for us to read that our STAFF was moody when you stayed here. Most of your concerns mentioned are not our standard at all. You also mentioned the room being small and noisy. We have two types of rooms in our hotel, standard and deluxe. The deluxe room is very nice and spacious with an additional bath in the room also if you feel you need more space we can always offer you the Suit. We have one suit in the hotel with a lovey room and a separate dining room with an open plan lounge.

We are currently addressing the directional signage and hope to come to a speedy resolve. We also have a complementary shuttle available from 06:00 – 23:00 if GUEST prefer not to drive themselves.

If in the event you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please feel free to contact myself directly and I will gladly assist you with the best possible rate and ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and prove to you that we are an establishment that prides ourselves on the services and products that we provide.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport was a bit of a disappointment. Having stayed at the Protea Hotel Balalaika, I was expecting big things, especially when you consider I paid more per night for the airport hotel. What I got was a room that was half the size of the Balalaika's and a very strange breakfast bill.
At around half the price, this would be a great hotel. Clearly they cater towards businessmen who want to stay near the airport and do not care for the cost. While the room was decent, there was no fridge, but without any shops or restaurants nearby, guests are forced to use the in-house restaurant and bar anyway. The room service menu was actually reasonable and prices were not extreme, but breakfast was amazing. There was no mention of the cost beforehand, and when the staff checked off my room number I assumed it was included in the price. My fault for not checking I guess.
Now the breakfast was excellent – a huge range of tasty and fresh food. But then came the bill, it was the most expensive meal I had in 2 weeks in South Africa, more expensive even than the room service the night before. I just felt that the way it was presented was a bit sneaky and deceiving. It just left a sour taste in my mouth.
As has been mentioned, the shuttle is a mess, but that seemed to be accurate for all the local hotel shuttles - the "bus station" markings at OR Tambo are poor, but once I got there it wasn't too bad. It was a bit difficult to get any information out of the hotel and it would be nice if they actually advertised the hours of operation and the fact that it is a regular shuttle that runs every half hour and does not require booking - it is almost as though they don't want guests to use the shuttle, but that doesn't make sense as it runs back and forth anyway, guests on board or not. Very confusing and not good enough given the price you pay for this hotel.
You expect an airport hotel to overcharge a little, but I thought the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport was just a little excessive.
Now that I know the Gautrain goes from the airport to Sandton in about 20 minutes, I will just stay in town next time - in a hotel with restaurants and shops nearby, that has to maintain standards and cannot rely on its isolated airport location for guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Dear Fiver75,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’. Your comments are highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the fact that your billing instructions were not made clear to you while checking in. I have taken this up with my Front Office TEAM as it is part of their daily routine on check in. The lack of informtion you received truly does not reflect the high standard which we are usually proud to offer. Your comments have been taken to heart.

Protea Hotels have a standard price for 3,4 and 5 star hotels for breakfast and again this should have been mentioned to you on arrival. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the offerings on the breakfast buffet.

We have recently acquired a new supplier for the Airport Shuttle service. They are in the process of getting their travel desk at the Airport, however until this is in place we will ensure that a representative from the shuttle company is visable at the airport to assist all our GUESTS.

Thank you once again for your comments. If you do decide to stay at the airport again please feel free to contact me direct or my GUEST Relations Manager on guestrelations@phortambo.com.

Gawie Nel

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you in assisting us to strive for service excellence.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated.