Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I loved Protea Hotel O R Tambo. From the design of the hotel to the service they give. Its a very convenient hotel for a stop over.

The hotel is literally across the airport. You get the magnificent view of the planes. The design of the hotel is also influenced by airplanes. They have shuttle service from the airport to the hotel for free.

The staff was very friendly and very efficient. The rooms are very spacious and very comfortable. The food was amazing. I really loved their deli section.

For a four star you really get a five star treatment.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Tshepo M,

As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Therefore we can’t thank you enough for taking the time to post your incredible comments regarding the property and TEAM and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy Protea Hospitality at its best!

Gawie Nel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo airport, Johannesburg = This is a brand new property, and basically it is just a hotel with a free airport shuttle which does not always run on time, free internet, showers but no bath tubs and the usual sumptuous Protea breakfast, which was not included, but which they let us have two for the price of one because I have a Protea membership. At 1180ZAR a night, I found it a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EEM88
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear EEM88,

Thank you for your valued feedback which you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. We are disappointed to hear that the shuttle service was not running on time, I can assure you that we have discussed this with the manager of Lux Express.

If in the event you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please feel free to contact myself directly and I will gladly assist you with a room with a bath and ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and prove to you that we are an establishment that prides ourselves on the services and products that we provide.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was an overnight stop as I had to go to Bloemfontein but it was a nice place to spend the night. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It was an evening check-in but the service was prompt.

The beds were comfortable and even though it is situated close to the airport, there was no noise to keep me wake. I did not use a shuttle but had contracted with AVIS car service to get around in South Africa so I don't know if there were delays or not as mentioned in some of the posts here.

Did not eat, so can't comment on the food either. The room does have the shower with a glass partition inside the room where one sleeps. I really wanted a room with a bathtub after being on the plane for more than 18 hours, but she told me they were on the smoking floor so I passed on that. I don't know if all are located on the smoking floor or if the one available that night was on the smoking floor but it is something you can inquire about when booking or checking in.

Yes, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear worldtraveler68926 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on 'tripadvisor'. This is very much appreciated. We were delighted to read that your experience all round was such a positive one.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Gawie Nel,

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I have been staying at the Protea Hotel-OR Tambo for the past 2 years and it has been a fantastic experience. From the efficient shuttle service, the hotel staff, the rooms, etc...i would rate it all "Excellent". I usually stay there when on business trips and i really feel at home. Being a frequent visitor, i became familiar with the staff and they always seemed to maintain that high level of customer service. I love staying there.....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Good morning Richard K,

Thank you for your words of appreciation on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport and to hearing from you again!

Kind regards

Reviewed March 27, 2012

From the shuttle to the hotel service was excellent. Staff was more than willing to help and they were professional in doing so. Room was Excellent with the view to the airport. Watched flights taking off. I will go back therE again but for coffee loving people like me there must be morE sugars placed in the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank cimento
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear cimento,

Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night here at the start of a long holiday. Although it is a airport hotel, you can't walk to the airport as it is on the other side of the freeway. The hotel has a pleasing, modern and quite unique design. The rooms are new and of a high standard with all amenities, very clean. The service levels however do not match this and are poor. On checking out early in the morning I paid cash to the reception clerk for my extras. The hotel then phoned my family and accused us of not paying. They deducted the extras again from my credit card. Clearly they have dishonest staff issues so be warned.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms are of a good standard. There is nothing to see outside, so it does not matte...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
OurWings, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Morrey,

Thank you for all your help and taking my calls!
I would once again like to apologize most sincerely for the unacceptable service experience. This truly does not reflect the high standard which the PH OR Tambo Airport is usually proud to offer.
However, I am very pleased that we were able to resolve the concerns.
Thanking you again for your constructive criticism.

Hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,

Lindia Mangels
GUEST Relations Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I am only posting this to warn fellow travellers. Despite confirming my reservation on phone two hours prior to checking in and paying for the room in advance, I was met with a blank look and 'sorry we don't have have a room for you' when I landed up at this hotel. The rudest people possible at check-in, I was greeted with a blank stare and they happily suggested I should go to another hotel which they would escort me to and were not bothered about the fact that i was travelling alone and didn't want to faff around to various hotels at night. After much fighting, they gave me a handicapped room which was unplesant and with no remote control for the television. Needless to say I left for my connecting flight a couple of hours earlier that necessary. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Shikha M

Good day Ms Mishra,

With reference to your recent comment on Tripadvisor. On behalf of the management at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport , we would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback. Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us.

We can assure you that this matter has been investigated and that our TEAM has taken the appropriate action to rectify the shortcomings in our service. I have sent your apology letter to Mandy from Gta travel a day after you departed as I was advised about your stay.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how you experience our service. Your comments have reached the attention of all involved and have assisted us in creating a commitment to ensure that situations such as these do not arise in the future.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely