“Convenient Base for Southern Africa”

Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Together with my family, I stayed here on two occasions prior to flights to and from JNB. The free airport shuttle service is very good, as a driver was waiting for us after our international flight. The on-site pub is good for a casual meal, as is the buffet - especially for breakfast. A minor irritation is the lack of a queing system at the front desk, as they allow people to jump in due to the lay-out. The rooms are of an acceptable standard, although we did pay more for a slight upgrade.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
LisaAnnNeale, Manager at Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with me and my management team. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and our Customer Care. I am pleased to read that we have been able to meet your expectations of our Hotel and appreciate your suggestion regarding our check out lines on a busy check out. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

So initially we thought there were a few positives.... It was clean, there was a pub so you could eat cheap food rather than paying extortionate hotel prices and a free shuttle bus from the airport but it soon went down hill.

The rooms are tiny and with two large suitcases in you trip over yourself. The bed is only a double and squashed between two bedside tables so feels very small.

The hotel is a dive from the airport, don't expect to be able to walk!

The things that really give it a score of 1 are:
- we were woken at 6.50am by someone ringing the wrong room for a wake up call- and no apology
- we were then woken again at 8 am by the cleaners wanting to get in and clean
- the cleaners then continued to bang around outside the rooms
- lastly and most importantly there was no water in the morning!!!! They had decided to shut it off for planned maintenance from 8am onwards and not bothered to tell us!!! We couldn't use the toilet, do our teeth, shower, clean etc- it was disgusting!
And we have no idea how the cleaners were able to clean the vacated rooms - I dread to think of the hygiene factor for the next guests....

• Stayed: October 2013

My Sincere Thanks to you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and Customer Care. With this in mind, I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism as this will help us improve on the High Standard we have set ourselves. Please would you afford us an opportunity to change your perception of our hotel in the near future by providing me with a direct email or telephone number which I can contact you on?

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Close to the airport, this hotel is really for those looking for a one night stopover. There is a shuttle to and from the airport which makes it very convenient. The restaurant is a little souless and offers a buffet for both breakfast and dinner. The pub, attached to the hotel - Rosie O'Gradys, is a little more lively and the food is wholesome and well priced. I could definitely get used to the price of their beer at 19ZAR a pint £1,40!
The swimming pool is small and not very clean, so I was reluctant to use it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with me and my management team. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and our Customer Care. I am pleased to read that we have been able to meet your expectations of our Hotel and appreciate your feedback regarding our facilities and services, particularly the reference to Rosie O Grady's food and beverage offering. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours In Hospitality

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed for one night and found the staff to be very grumpy and unfriendly here. If you are just flying in and out stay here. I wish I had stayed in Sandton as we had a day to fill in and it is not easy to get into town from her as you have to catch a shuttle which you have to pay for and then a train to get anywhere. They also don't offer late checkout but do offer to store luggage.
Breakfast was good and the Irish pub was good for meals. Also has a nice pool area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with me and my management team. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and our Customer Care. I am pleased to read that we have been able to meet your expectations of our Hotel and will address my team’s demeanour during your stay with the team members concerned. It is through Guest Feedback like yours that we are able to monitor our Service Delivery levels and make provisions to even further improve your “Guest Experience”. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future and trust that you will find improvement in these areas.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had to overnight between flights at Johannesburg airport. The free shuttle worked fine and the room was perfectly adequate for one night. There are two eating choices: a buffet and a pub. We chose the pub and had an OK meal, not fine dining but appetising and reasonably priced. The Wifi worked well and was included in our package. Breakfast was also included but we left too early to take it so cannot comment on quality.

We have previously stayed at the Southern Sun hotel which is a short walk from the terminal, but it is greatly overpriced for a layover stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with me and my management team. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and our Customer Care. I am pleased to read that we have been able to meet your expectations of our Hotel, particularly that you were able to experience our value for money add on's through our breakfast, free shuttle and WIFI. We are particularly proud of our product offering and trust that in the future you will make use of our hotel again should you find yourself going through OR Tambo district.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here on two separate nights, either side of an excursion to Kruger. We were flying in from Port Elizabeth and flying out to Livingstone, so I was able to use their complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. They were also willing to store some of our luggage whist we were away on safari, which was very handy!
As for the hotel itself, the reception service was good, breakfast was full of choices and the service was good. The Irish bar was great in terms of quality of food and value......shame the service was a bit on the slow side.
The rooms were ok, perhaps a little tired. Our first room had been used by a smoker, although the hotel was non-smoking, but they quickly changed our room.
I would certainly recommend the hotel for it's location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I have read your survey with great pride and assure you that I will convey your comments to our team. It is through Guest Feedback like yours that we are able to maintain our High Standards and services delivery levels.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here on four separate occasions on our trip to Africa and it is a good hotel with a reliable half hourly shuttle to the airport
The rooms are fine and room 107 had a quiet air conditioner and walking down the stairs to reception. The breakfast has plenty of choices and the staff are friendly and efficient. Yes the pillows are a bit hard as reported elsewhere but the plusses greatly outweigh the cons for this hotel.The cost is reasonable
There is a Irish Bar which has reasonable food

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with me and my management team. The Garden Court OR Tambo prides itself on Service Excellence and Customer Care. I have read your survey with great pride and assure you that I will convey your comments to our team, particularly how we consistently delivered on each of your stays. It is through Guest Feedback like yours that we are able to maintain our High Standards and services delivery levels and put a proud smile on the faces of our Employees.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.