“Delightful Guest House”

Ranked #11 of 62 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
East London
“Delightful Guest House”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We found the Emerald Guest House to be tip top, service was good , no problem with escorting us to and from the airport on time , the breakfast was outstanding , something to remember . We will defenitly book in again if the occasion arises .

Thank You..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Cedric C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great place. Inexpensive, close to airport (with efficient pick-up service), clean, helpful staff. Room small, but for the price it was fine. There are no restaurants or shops within walking distance so you have to rely on the guesthouse food. Very basic (and cheap). Filled a hole, but would have been nice to have choice of something a bit fancier.

I will definitely stay here again when passing through OR Tambo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank DaveNamibia
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to relieve my feelings !
The arrangement was that I would be picked up at the International Arrivals Tourist Info desk Terminal A at 5.30 pm on Sat March 2nd 2013.
I was there and waited and waited and .....waited . Eventually I asked a man who had a card for the Airport Lodge if he had seen anybody from Airport Inn ; he kindly phoned you and then went looking and I was duly introduced to my driver . He did not have a card with my name but drove me to your establishment . On checking in , the driver flicked through the pile of cards on the desk . There was a card with my name on it at the very bottom of the pile !!!! No apology was made . I was travelling by myself ; I had made it clear that i was not taking my cell phone with me , hence that arrangement to meet.
I had an extremely anxious half hour when I stood at OR Tambo wondering where and how I was going to spend that night .
Please review your arrangements and the personnel organising them .
Irene Parker

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Mayotte
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good place near the airport. Rooms small but very clean. Good price and good place if you are looking for a hôtel when you are in transit in Joburg, like us. Good service (someone picks up you at the airport and bring you back if you need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came upon Emerald Guest House because we were looking for somewhere close to the airport. They have been RUDE, INCOMPETANT and UNHELPFUL at every turn.

First we paid upfront for one of our engineers to stay there and inspite of thier own terms and conditions not warning you, they refused to refund us and the staff taking calls REFUSED to put us through to the elusive Managers (I assume Nico & Elsie Geldenhuys) so they pretend to take a message and promise to get the 'manager/s' to call you back. After the 5th promise, the blatant lying became very disconcerting.

We gave up and accepted the credit and booked another engineer in (waste not and all that), and to explain to the new genius on the line that we had a credit took exactly 32 mins of correspondence in total. Eventually when we drew a picture he came around and then we had to extend the engineers stay at the last minute. We phoned and spoke to the new operator who was all "yes, yes, it's confirmed" to have our engineer arrive there and nothing had been arranged.
The Engineer then had to make last minute accomodation at 18h00 at night. Couple this kind of service level with the fact that he stated the place was below par, we will not be using them ever again.

Let me say then: I would only recommend Emerald Guest House to someone I deeply dislike.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Heather M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The immediate proximity to the airport is terrific, and transfers to & from the airport are free and done attentively. We stayed at the Emerald on two occasions and both times the rooms were spacious and comfortable, very clean and safe. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and informative. The free breakfasts are tasty hot meals, making a stay here incredible value for the cost. For other meals, one can order pizza but that's about it. We left from here to Kruger Park by shuttle, but our early departure was complicated by the locked gate and nobody around to open it. Be sure to clarify such arrangements...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RebeccaPeter
London
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here in September 2009. They provided me with free airport transfer which was nice of them. I had to pay for my full three days price at reception which I have never before or since had to do!

This is a beautiful guest house with clean rooms which are cleaned on a daily basis and a good size. The staff for pleasant and more than willing to help. It is good value for money and really close to the airport.

Overseas travelers be warned that this guesthouse is not close to any attractions and you will need to hire a car to get around as private car taxis cost around R500 (£36 /$58) for a one way journey. If you can't drive I would recommend a hotel in Standton or wherever your conference is.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo