“Such a Gem! Definitely going back.”
Review of Safari Club

Safari Club
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I recently spent some time at Safari Club, and I was bowled over! The most convenient location, 5 minutes away from OR Tambo International Airport and seconds off the freeway, this is the ideal retreat inside the concrete jungle.

Upon arriving, we were met by friendly staff who had nothing but excellent service to offer accompanied by warm smiles. The facilities are everything you'd expect and the willingness to go the extra mile place Safari Club in a league I reserve highly.

I was impressed beyond measure and am strongly considering Safari Club as a future venue for functions both personal & professional where my guests can enjoy themselves without the hassle of having to drive home.

I am very keen to try the tours on offer which I unfortunatly didn't have time to pursue but from speaking with other guests, I missed out!

Kudos to Anthony & his team, they are doing a terrific job and placing Safari Club on the proverbial travellers' guide.

Devon A.

Room Tip: Try secure a room near the inviting pool area, complete with sun loungers and lush surroundings.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We used the Safari Club as our home base for several trips across southern Africa in less than a month. We were pleased beyond our expectations with the accommodations and even moreso by the staff. Although close to the airport, we were able to book rooms that were amazingly quiet and comfortable...not to mention affordable. Getting to and from OR Tambo for flights was achievable in mere minutes, and the staff did everything possible to ensure that we made all schedules, including having early morning full breakfasts deliciously hot. The spacious inner courtyard (small pool included) had tables, chaise lounges, and chairs available for all guests and became a favorite place for us to unwind, catch some sun and get plenty of fresh air between safaris and adventure trips. But we found the most outstanding thing about the club to be the staff...get to know them, as they can make a trip much more pleasant. Sarah is a fun-loving and guest-oriented public relations guru who makes sure that visitors feel comfortable and welcome. Linda at the front desk is the wonder-worker who knows how to make the accommodations, drivers, and reservations all work in sync and user-friendly. She also is able to give practical advice and find solutions for guests who deal with third-party providers, be they tour operators or late-night food delivery drivers. These are just a couple of people who'll bend over backwards to make your stay wonderful...I can also attest to the splendid service we got from the housekeeping staff, airport drivers, chef, and food servers. You can pay more at other places, but the Safari Club is the best value.

Room Tip: We booked three different rooms during our stays, and found the rooms opposite the office (Serengeti...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

An unexpected trip to Cape Town popped up and as I was quite concerned about morning traffic to O R Tambo airport I needed a decent hotel near the airport but I was not prepared to pay loads for some of the cookie-cutter, generic chains closest to there.
A very well travelled friend recommended The Safari Club as it is a mere 10 minutes to the airport, if that! As I knew that said friend was quite fussy I booked a room without even doing any research......wow!.....was I impressed when I checked-in......

The same receptionist who had given me friendly directions over the phone, welcomed me and had my room key and check-in paperwork ready. A smiley porter carried my luggage to my room and with an eager attitude showed me how to operate the a/c and big screen telly.

As a family member had dropped me off I enquired about their shuttle service to the airport. I was once again impressed with the fact that my airport shuttle was included in my room rate which by the way is very reasonable for the quality of the establishment.

My room had a thatch roof and had that typical "Out of Africa" safari smell. Suddenly my quick business trip I was dreading felt like I had travelled to somewhere exotic. Although the hotel was quite full, I experienced calm and quiet. The 24-hour upstairs private bar has ice-cold beers and I utilised the fast free wifi in the adjacent lounge to prepare for my meeting the next morning.

The shuttle driver the next morning dropped me right outside departures and even helped me offload my suitcase. Never again will I stress about Johannesburg traffic and will most definately stay with these guys again and again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Benjamin J
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We attended a function at Emperor's Palace last weekend and did not want to drive home afterward. Unfortunately, the Metcourt was fully booked and I was not prepared to pick up the hefty tab from the other hotels on offer at Emperor's, so we had to find something else.

I came across Safari Club on Trip Advisor and gave them a try. What a winner! Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The garden just outside our door is just beautiful at this time of the year. Its a pity we didn't have more time to sit out in the garden and have a drink, aah well.

The breakfast next morning was also pretty good. We found everyone we dealt with to be very courteous and friendly, no doubt because most of the guests were demanding foreign tourists in transit.

Trying to find the place was a headache though. Googlemaps led me astray and quite frankly we drove past the place which has an almost hidden entrance, a few times.

Transport to and from Emperor's (about 10 minutes drive away) was easy to arrange and not badly priced at R200 per one way trip.

Overall Safari Club was great value for money at R800 per night for both of us including breakfast. I have no hesitation in recommending Safari Club to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you get exact directions before going there. It is situated in the least expected place ju...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had a little trouble rating this place. We stayed here one night between flights. There was nothing to really dislike about it. Our pick-up at the airport was exactly as booked and our return the next day was right to our terminal. The rooms were all clean and waiting for us and the garden is definitely a tranquil oasis where one can relax in pleasant surroundings. We ordered dinner from the somewhat limited menu and it was on time and exactly as ordered. The service we received was courteous and friendly. So why not a higher score? The hotel is obviously getting old. Our room was clean but the shower handle fell off in my wife's hand and the toilette seat was not attached. The staff in the restaurant are very friendly and try to be helpful but lack any basic service training. Also the hotel, while not a long way from the airport, is easily triple the distance of others, such as the Protea (see my review) and lacks a lot of the modern facilities. I would say that if you really like a laid back atmosphere and beautiful gardens where you can get away from it all then you will enjoy this place. Also the price is certainly right.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are planning a stop over or need a place to stay in Johannesburg and don't need to stay in the city then Safari club is perfect.

Only 10 minute drive from the airport is has lush green surrounds that if there was not the occasional (but not very loud) fly over by planes you would not know you are so close to the airport.

The accomodation is very clean, spacious and comfortable rooms with ensuite. the gardens are beautiful and the tiny pool is cute. They also have dinner there from a small, but very delicious and filling menu.

And the best customer service in Africa, we stayed twice during our 3 month trip of Africa, once in the middle and once before flying home. We thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: all are great
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at Safariclub for one night in September. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We stayed in a garden room, which was spacious, clean and well decorated and had a great comfortable double bed. Also you have a little patio in front of each of the rooms. The garden looked beautiful and gives the place a nice atmosphere. There is a nice pool as well for on hot days. Breakfast was delicious and served in a beautiful breakfast room. It is indeed true that airplanes fly over quite close, but if you want to stay close to the airport, that’s what you can expect… However, I was happy to find out that you hardly hear the airplanes in the room itself. Compared to other places I’ve visited around the airport this one is the best so far.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business