“A truly lovely location”

Casalinga Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #33 of 1,219 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“A truly lovely location”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We visited with friends. The setting was gorgeous, the wine good, the food not quite upto expectations. But the overall experience was still very memorable - the location was stunning!

The service is friendly, but our waiter got things a little mixed up. My friend asked for a vegetarian pasta, which the waiter forgot to serve - everyone at the table waited for about 15 minutes before we realized that the waiter must have forgotten the order. After reminding them, when it finally came, it had meat in it. They quickly replaced it when they realized the mistake. Mistakes do happen everywhere - the fantastic location and the rest of the service made up for it (even for my friend). Will go back!

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Knysna
“Lunch”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We had very nice lunch as a family at Casalinga.The setting is great and the table was set with nice white tablecloths and servettes.The menu was very balanced and the food very tasty .The kingklip fish and the prawns was very tasty.The lentil soup was also very good.The dessert table was incredible.The service was very good

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Janfourie
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cozy atmosphere!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Casalinga is one of those places where you can always take good friends for quality times and know that you will get good food in a warm and cozy atmosphere. The place is packed over weekends which speaks for itself.
The waiters are well qualified, the attention to detail exceptional and the general "feel" professional. We were there for a birthday celebration and the table was arranged exactly as requested. They even sang "Happy Birthday" to the special person. Wonderful!
Although it is pricy... it is worth every cent!

Will I go again? Most definitely YES!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank TheunsBlom
Johannesburg
“A shadow of its former excellence.”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Casalinga was, for a long time, one of my favorite restaurants in Johannesburg with the perfect balance of fine dining, function venue and country getaway for the day. The ship was tightly run and the food was exceptional. I went at least seven or eight times over a ten-year period.

I decided to return there today with my wife and small children. We haven't had loads of opportunities to eat out at great restaurants since we had twins a little over three years ago, so my wife was very excited when I said I'd had a brainwave and we could combine some time in the great outdoors with a fantastic dining experience.

Sadly, we got the great outdoors and paid the price of a fine dining experience, but were unimpressed with what was essentially below average steakhouse fare. The grand tastebud fest of yesteryear is a shallow memory in the new casalinga. I went in a confirmed customer and supporter and left with little desire to return.

The surroundings are great, the restaurant seems clean, the staff are kind and helpful. All those boxes are ticked. It's just that, well... the food sucks. The starters sucked, the mains sucked and the desserts sucked I tried a bit of my wife's food and my own. Another person who was there with us had the same opinion of the food.

Im guessing the current chef did not descend from a lofty Michelin 5-star establishment to bless casalinga with her culinary magnificence.

I hope the kitchen comes right, because it has everything else going for it.

• Visited July 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“TIME FOR NEW MANAGEMENT AND A NEW CHEF”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Casilinga was once upon time one of our favourite restaurants. I remember one Valentine day about 10 years ago that we could not stop eating from starters to desert.

Our family visited Casalinga this past Sunday 30 June 2013 and this must be one of the worst lunches I have had in a long time. The focus are on QUANTITY when it should be focusing on Quality as when I celebrated Valentines day their. Presentation, quality of food from starters to desert are tasteless and not even fresh.

The only thing that is still representative of the OLD Casalinga is the beautiful garden where the kids can enjoy themselves.

• Visited June 2013