“As italian as the eifel tower!”

Casalinga Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #42 of 1,231 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Where to start. I’m not sure if this is a culture with all South Africans? We book a table at a restaurant, get dressed for the occasion, drive all the way to that “special” place, spend triple the money on an average bottle of wine, and eat food you can make at home, all of this for money you have to work a whole month for!
Again I was so disappointed in a restaurant. The reception at the door leads you into a false sense of a seriously good experience to come. The ambiance is so inviting, gas heaters all over to make it warm and cozy – there is even a fire place in the main seating area to add to that feeling of being in a very special place. Well, the fantasy stops there. I had to keep my cool and smile at the waiter to give him our wine order – a bottle of red I know costs triple the money of what it will cost in any supermarket. My wife decided to order the fish soup, and I went for the same. I must admit the complimentary bread on the table was spectacular!
The soup was ok, but again something I can whip up in my own kitchen within 10 minutes. Then the mains arrived. Oh, boy! My wife had ordered a chicken dish that had polenta as one of the main ingredients. This, the chef forgot to put on the plate, and after complaining, was brought on a side plate as an afterthought. The rest of the dish could have come from a fast food joint around the corner from our place. I had ordered the slow roasted pork with crackling. After having to scoop away about 2 cups of some sort of gravy, and forcing down some seriously over cooked vegetables, I finally got to see the “slow roasted” pork. At the first taste, I realized why they had added al the gravy! To hide the dry meat that was definitely not slow roasted!
The dessert was a crème Brule – or in this case a butterscotch Brule with too much corn starch or flower added to prevent it from splitting. Not good!
For half the money, and situating in a shopping centre, perhaps just because we are not in the mood for cooking: maybe. But for a special restaurant like this? Definitely not recommended at all!

4  Thank Roberteatout
There are newer reviews for Casalinga Ristorante Italiano

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Casalinga is a must do place!

The food, the service, the ambiance, the everything!!!

Take the family for a wonderful Sunday Lunch! Its a must!

You will not be disappointed!!!

Reviewed March 30, 2011

I'm afraid our supper at Casalinga (for our 29th anniversary) was a bit of a disaster although most of the food tasted great:
1) when we arrived we had to go and wait in the bar because they had given our table to another couple
2) after about 20 minutes after being seated, we had a waiter, asking for a menu
3) our main course came about 40 minutes after we had finished the starter and after asking several times what had happened (we gbelieve they had forgotten to give in our order)
4) when I asked for the left-over lamb shank to be [ut in a 'doggie bag" the waiter brought it in a brown paper bag with fat dripping through, so I sent it back asking for silver foil (this took about 10 minutes);
5) we then called the waiter to ask for the bill, which also took ages and we were never offered tea/ coffee/ desserts
6) they apologised profusely saying that the wheels had come off because they had a big wedding also
7) My husband had to stop twice on the way home (a half hour drive to Northcliff) for me to RUN to a toilet - 1st at a garage (FILTHY) and then at an all-night McDonalds
8) and on Sunday morning my husband had a very sore stomach and was nauseous...
(we were told we probably had food poisoning)

We have been to Casalinga and recommended it several times in the past 10 years but are not sure we'll go again... We also felt that by now (4 days after we wrote a comment about how poor it was on the comment sheet which came with the bill) we would have received a call or email from the owner.

2  Thank ekblock
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The only thing that is italian in this restaurant is the name. Awful food, full of garlic and onions evrywhere. This is definetely not italian cuisine.

2  Thank aleluppi
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We got married here 12 years ago, and the food is still excellent.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook