“Very good food and service”
Review of The Red Chamber

The Red Chamber
Ranked #162 of 1,208 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

enjoyed this restaurant. quick and attentive service. food was wonderful. deep fried calamari and black bean and the prawn dish. calamari better than the prawns. lovely setting in hyde park. sue our waitress was great.

• Visited June 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Mandarin food!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Took hubby to this restaurant. Staff is very friendly. Owner is Chinese, fluent in English. She personally came to our table to recommend dishes. My husband decided to be adventurous and order a crab dish. When they brought a crushing clipper to the table for the crab legs my husband was shocked and confused;) The owner came over, explained step by step how to eat a full crab and even brought us plastic aprons cause it can get messy!!
We both enjoyed our food.
It was my second time to the restaurant. Two years ago they had a very limited selection of wine and some alcoholic beverages. I was happy to find out their wine selection has improved;-)
Overall great experience and great Chinese food.

• Visited June 2013
Clarens, Free State, South Africa
“Great Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good Chinese food at an extremely convenient location. Our party ordered a variety of dishes to share and we enjoyed all but one choice. The sweet & sour chicken was definitely worth a special mention - fantastic!

• Visited May 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“A good experience”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was looking forward to have Chinese food in Johannesburg. Being a Vegetarian I was apprehensive if they would have enough choice for me. I was happy that they had a good selection to choose from. The owner of the restaurant is a Chinese now settled in Johannesburg. She personally came to the table to take our order and was very helpful in recommending some of the dishes. The dim sums, cucumber salad, see weed starter, shitake mushrooms etc were good choices. Good food, great ambience and good service. My hosts took me to this restaurant since they had a good selection for vegetarians. I understand the seafood and other varieties were also very good.

• Visited May 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“The BEST Chinese food ever!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The food doesn't taste the same. It's not oily and the service is good. I've never had better Chinese food.