“a good place for lunch!”
Review of Walnut Grove

Walnut Grove
Ranked #28 of 1,208 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An exciting new eating concept in the heart of Sandton City. Come and dine under the shade of our family tree and one of Africa's largest chandeliers.
Newcastle, South Africa
“a good place for lunch!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

always nice to visit for lunch when you do shopping in Sandton City! classy place and the food is good! nice vibe.

Visited January 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Eat with your eyes, not your mouth”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Walnut Grove is beautifully decorated and the cakes on display look amazing. The menu outside looks a bit pricey so we hadn't tried to but eventually thought, lets have a try - it looked really good and the greeting at the door was friendly and welcoming.

Unfortunately, looks were deceiving - the service was really bad. When we asked for any substitution of ingredients (eg. change pepperdews to olives), we got a definate and unfriendly 'No' - not even an offer to do it for a small fee! Then the trammezini arrived - the bread was too thick and the filling almost non-existent. The cheese was sparse and the overall meal dry - we left most on the plate.

For the food and service, this restaurant deserves a 1, but the Snowball milkshake was amazing! That was really worth drinking. So if you want overpriced drinks and a good setting, this place is good, but not if you want to eat.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Kevin S
Hong Kong, China
“Decent Food, Good Value, Rubbish service”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The restaurant is well located within the Sandton City shopping mall on a mezzanine level thus giving it some reprieve from the usual foot traffic and onlookers. It is well laid out with comfortable seating and practical table heights.

The service initially is acceptable but we've had large variation in food delivery after ordering. Sometimes it is within 10 to 15 minutes, and other times longer for very much the same food. It is luck of the draw if your food will still be warm when you receive it. Once your food has been served then it is very difficult to get the waiter back to the table for anything else. If you want another drink or there is something wrong with the food then you are probably going to have to call the waiter.

Getting the bill is often a real effort in this place - it usually requires three or four requests before it arrives.

There are plenty of other choices in Sandton City, but this is a nice sit-down restaurant which is well priced for the food offering. If you are willing to suffer the rubbish service and possibility of a long wait then try it out.

2 Thank Carlhenk
WalnutGroveSA, Owner at Walnut Grove, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your wonderful compliments and we assure you we have taken your complaints on board about our service. This is not the level of service we would like our customers to experience.

We hope you will visit us in the future and let us know if we have improved.

Thanks again
Team Walnut Grove
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good Food and Great Ambiance”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a fantastic place chill. Food is really really good. Very nice ambiance, service is a little slow. Been there a couple of times and never been disappointed. For vegetarians, options are very limited , you can have Pizza, Nachos, Soups and Salads all are very good. Non vegetarian dishes are awesome and there is more variety to choose from, just avoid the calamaris. Portion size is very large and 3 people can easily share two main dishes. Overall a very nice restaurant to have a good time with friends.

Sandton
“What a shocker!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We popped into this beautifully decorated café over the weekend for an early breakfast. There were hardly any other guests as it was still quite early (around 08:30). Initially I was very impressed with the place, great friendly welcome at the entrance, great décor, nice enough menu, well dressed staff. But that was where it ended.

I specifically ordered the "healthy" version omelette (egg whites and low fat cheese) because of health reasons. My partner ordered a standard breakfast. After 20 minutes and having finished our Americano coffees we had to enquire twice where our food was. When it eventually arrived, my omelette was served with what I can only described as virtually "deep fried" rye bread, dripping with oil all over my plate. When I eventually got hold of our waiter's attention to send it back, I was treated as if I was from Mars. I asked them to please take it back and serve my meal with plain toasted rye, no oil or fat. This concept seemed to boggle a few staff members because I only eventually received my omelette (same omelette, just new toast) back by the time my partner had finished eating breakfast! I had to ask to please see a manager, who eventually arrived apologising profusely, but not willing to do anything else about the situation. All this while, what I assume are the owners, sitting around chatting with family and friends (I assume they are owners as they were in and out of the kitchen constantly). We were obviously not viewed important enough to be given any attention by them. I paid the full bill and left without any acknowledgement from anyone else. This place will definitely never see me again.

2 Thank Jaco S
WalnutGroveSA, Owner at Walnut Grove, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of Walnut Grove. We are so sorry to hear about your experience with us. Since this review we have taken on board your comments and have changed the way that we prepare our toast as we used to brush it with olive oil and herbs but we no longer do this.

We would very much like to discuss this matter further and offer you a complimentary meal. Please contact us directly on hello@walnutgrove.co.za.

Thanks very much