“Good Food and Great Ambiance”
Review of Walnut Grove

Walnut Grove
Ranked #34 of 1,237 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An exciting new eating concept in the heart of Sandton City. Come and dine under the shade of our family tree and one of Africa's largest chandeliers.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a fantastic place chill. Food is really really good. Very nice ambiance, service is a little slow. Been there a couple of times and never been disappointed. For vegetarians, options are very limited , you can have Pizza, Nachos, Soups and Salads all are very good. Non vegetarian dishes are awesome and there is more variety to choose from, just avoid the calamaris. Portion size is very large and 3 people can easily share two main dishes. Overall a very nice restaurant to have a good time with friends.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We popped into this beautifully decorated café over the weekend for an early breakfast. There were hardly any other guests as it was still quite early (around 08:30). Initially I was very impressed with the place, great friendly welcome at the entrance, great décor, nice enough menu, well dressed staff. But that was where it ended.

I specifically ordered the "healthy" version omelette (egg whites and low fat cheese) because of health reasons. My partner ordered a standard breakfast. After 20 minutes and having finished our Americano coffees we had to enquire twice where our food was. When it eventually arrived, my omelette was served with what I can only described as virtually "deep fried" rye bread, dripping with oil all over my plate. When I eventually got hold of our waiter's attention to send it back, I was treated as if I was from Mars. I asked them to please take it back and serve my meal with plain toasted rye, no oil or fat. This concept seemed to boggle a few staff members because I only eventually received my omelette (same omelette, just new toast) back by the time my partner had finished eating breakfast! I had to ask to please see a manager, who eventually arrived apologising profusely, but not willing to do anything else about the situation. All this while, what I assume are the owners, sitting around chatting with family and friends (I assume they are owners as they were in and out of the kitchen constantly). We were obviously not viewed important enough to be given any attention by them. I paid the full bill and left without any acknowledgement from anyone else. This place will definitely never see me again.

2  Thank Jaco S
WalnutGroveSA, Owner at Walnut Grove, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of Walnut Grove. We are so sorry to hear about your experience with us. Since this review we have taken on board your comments and have changed the way that we prepare our toast as we used to brush it with olive oil and herbs but we no longer do this.

We would very much like to discuss this matter further and offer you a complimentary meal. Please contact us directly on hello@walnutgrove.co.za.

Thanks very much
Team Walnut Grove

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I went a few times at Walnut Grove for lunch and coffee breaks! Needless to say this is an amazing venue, not only serving delicious coffees and a variety of cakes but also offering incredible meals.
I had twice a salad (they serve a variety of warm and cold dishes though) and they were the most beautiful and tasty salads I've ever had!!!! Portions were so generous that I wasnt hungry by dinner time. Together with the salad, I had freshly extracted lemon juice, which was refreshing and delicious.
Finally, I've also tried their coffees which are excellent and the pecan pie which was so soft and tasty.
I highly recommend this place if you're around.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of our family run restaurant. We are thrilled to have these wonderful experiences on Tripadvisor. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Thanks so much

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I love Walnut Grove!! It is truly a gem in Sandton City!!!

Upon arrival you are greeted with a smile, they honestly has the friendliest staff out there!!
The menu is huge, but don't let that fool you. Everything is alway delicious and bursting with flavour and presented beautifully.

It'a also really good value for money!!!
I love it , and I really do suggest you try it!!!

Thanks very much for a beautiful review. It is reviews like this that make our job worthwhile.

We hope you will visit us again soon.

All the best
Team Walnut Grove

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have patronised this restaurant for more than twice already. I cannot quite remember anything in terms of service 'but' the food here is excellent the atmosphere calm and relaxed...! That is the only reason I've always came back honestly.

This past Sunday I spent way enough with family at this place hence service was a real disappointment, the guy tried his very best but it seems like he had a number of table he could afford to which should not be the case. I am very much service orientated and once before have worked in restaurants that sits over a thousand for dinner, my suggestion - get a table assignor to allocate guests according to stations assigned to each server, more information I'm happy to assist if interested. Instead of having servers welcoming guests and sit them as they wish and the next thing they provide unacceptable service, my idea maybe helpful..!

The restaurant and coffee shop are up to standard, in the heart of the Sandton City, well I'll give it a try again as I always have people I would want them to experience this spot. Please make sure you work on the service soonest to be able to maintain a good reputation of this beautiful place you have.