“Excellent Friendly Service”

la scala montecasino
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent New Years eve with friends at La Scala. The welcome was warm and friendly. The tables are nicely spaced so you don't feel crowded. The New Years Eve set menu had dishes to suit everyone and all food was nicely presented. It was expensive but where isn't on NYE. We felt it was reasonable considering the whole ambiance with the music and dancing. We will definitely be returning to La Scala.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

the service and the steak was excellent...went with a group of people...they all had a blast...got a bit drunk though and the waiters still treated me like a king...

Reviewed October 6, 2012

THe resturant was well p resented and food was very good, very tasty and well presented. THe walls were spectacular and "big" is appearance.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

La Scala.......the name intrigued us enough to make our minds to visit the restaurant. Trying food is a fav past time from where I come and is also here in SA after having visited so many restaurants and witnessing the passion for food of the patrons. Italian cuisine is the mainstream cinema of South Africa's food culture and the Colcacchio's are the Dark Knight franchise of the culture. Colcacchio's have fast become the 'rising' star of the pizzeria's in South Africa and would continue to be so for a some time. But our quest for perfect italian food esp. pasta led us in search for the Moon of Italian restaurants.

I would say that La Scala has a very good location...Montecasino provides the perfect ambience for a fun-filled and entertaining time. And for me food is very much an integral part of it. By the time you have picked on the many restaurants or food joints present in montecasino, the ambience there has already cast its spell on you sucking you in like the spaghetti you would eat in the creamy sauce at the many italian restaurants worldwide.

The entrance of the restaurant sets the tone for the things to come. For a moment it reminded me of the small houses in Tuscany of the bygone era. The staff was courteous to the T and exuded a sense of warmth and friendliness. The team camaraderie was clearly visible and their approach to work raised my expectation bar higher. We were promptly seated in our table. The warmth of the place made us comfortable and we looked forward to our food. The restaurant menu boasted of some very popular recipes and had some that were new to us. Its house like structure made us feel like it was purposefully designed the way it was. The seating and table were basic and did not gave us the idea of a fine dining restaurant. Even the rye and wheat bread tasted funny......i couldn't figure out if it was bad but I would certainly say that i did not like it. Also the Tiramisu we ordered was completely different than what we had come to expect of it having visited countless italian restaurants in the past. However, the main course was good and stood up to its name. The tomato sauce is one of the true indicators of the 'italianness' of the food and here it smelled and tasted just like an homemade italian tomato sauce.

But the apertifs we had was for me bestio. The campari based cocktails we had were a delight. The infusion of mint and strawberry in our respective drinks made us crave for it more and more. Certainly our pick for the best italian thing we had that evening.

I would like to try it again but only after I have exhausted my list of Top 3 italian restaurants. For the ones looking to visit this place, I would say if you tend to succumb to your craving for italian food then go ahead and try. Book your seat in the balcony if you want to experience the montecasino atmosphere or else seat indoors if privacy is your priority.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

the ambience doesnt strike you as the best but the prawn pasta is the best ever