The Space Guest House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Johannesburg
See available hotels
Premiere Classe Suites(Johannesburg)
The Peech Hotel(Johannesburg)
SUN1 Wynberg(Sandton)
View Hotel
The Residence Boutique Hotel(Johannesburg)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I have no complaints.The reception was welcoming and check-in efficient. Room modern and spacious with large bathroom and walk-in shower. The security is good and we felt safe at all times. There is enough space within the hotel compound for parking 2 cars. Breakfast was at the Illy cafe 2mins walk away.
Along the main road are plenty of bars and restaurants- would recommend The Loft for a nice evening meal. Thankfully, inside hotel not noisy at all.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We stayed for just one night, with Ruby arranging our airport transfer and half day tour of Soweto & Joburg as well. Our experience with the Space was so friendly and efficient. We were so sad to leave! Breakfast was included at the sister property Saffron (full hot continental breakfast). We stayed in the Garden Room. It was very spacious, with bar fridge, shower, bath, separate toilet, tv... everything you need. There are loads of restaurants and bars on 7th Street, just outside the front door, however, there is loads of security and we felt very safe at all times. We can recommend The Loft restaurant on 7th Street - great service & great food. There are also 2-3 convenience stores within 2 minutes walk of the Space, handy for any supplies you need during your stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Rooms are big, clean and well decorated. Each room has a table and chair with mini-fridge and tea kettle.
Location is excellent with several good restaurants, outdoor cafes, and bars on the same block.
Internet is strong. Staff is wonderful- friendly and helpful. Transport to and from airport is reliable and personable. Nice to be greeted by Mike after a long journey.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank goingnowheresoon
Reviewed December 11, 2008

A great first port of call on our first trip to South Africa. I'm pleased that we chose Melville as a base - the area was great for bars and restaurants (steak at the Melville Grill is brilliant by the way) and the guest house is right at the centre of it all. Very security conscious as everywhere in Jo'burg seems to be and overall we found the staff to be excellent - I'd echo what has been said about Mike the taxi driver - great bloke and an interesting guy to chat to!

As for the hotel itself - our room was fantastic - very spacious and leading out onto a private mini terrace facing the street. Extremely comfortable bed, lovely decor/artwork and the breakfasts were very good aswell.

Overall, excellent value given the quality offered and well recommended.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Gosforth_Ultra
Reviewed May 21, 2008

After spending a week in Cape Town at the lovely Rutland Lodge (I highly recommend it!!), then spending several nights at a few properties for safari, I was midly disappointed by The Space.

Pros
1. Good location for nightlife and several good restaurants including Soi and The Melville Grill. Also walking distance to stores and pharmacy.
2. Clean room, comfortable room with expected amenities (soap, shampoo, conditioner, clean towels.

Cons
1. My room was across from the main building. The Space has two separate buildings, so I had to use extra keys to go across the road for breakfast.
2. Breakfast, while free, was lousy considering the options they could have had for the same value - fresher breads for example.
3. Someone showed up at my door, just wondering if I was in. My room had already been cleaned for the day so it made me quite suspicious about the staff.
4. Management was not on site during normal business hours at all times. No one when I checked in offered me any assistance with regards to Joburg - no tour info, no map, nothing.
5. My bedroom tv would go off after a few minutes and I had to watch tv in the living room which was annoying since I like tv in bed.
6. They charge 50 rand more for airport transfers than Maxi Taxi.
7. The original room I was to have, suite 6, was somehow changed to suite 4. Also my suit had just been fixed up as the construction going on forced them to break through a wall. I could see the dust in certain areas and the outside garden was a mess as a result of the construction.

Overall, I would not book this property again. The customer service in general in Joburg I found to be lacking when compared to Cape Town. This extended from several restaurants to this lodge. Disappointing because with the right manager, it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NYCGirl78