“Great location, clean rooms, strong internet, great breakfast”

The Space Guest House
Ranked #191 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Rooms are big, clean and well decorated. Each room has a table and chair with mini-fridge and tea kettle.
Location is excellent with several good restaurants, outdoor cafes, and bars on the same block.
Internet is strong. Staff is wonderful- friendly and helpful. Transport to and from airport is reliable and personable. Nice to be greeted by Mike after a long journey.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank goingnowheresoon

Reviewed December 11, 2008

A great first port of call on our first trip to South Africa. I'm pleased that we chose Melville as a base - the area was great for bars and restaurants (steak at the Melville Grill is brilliant by the way) and the guest house is right at the centre of it all. Very security conscious as everywhere in Jo'burg seems to be and overall we found the staff to be excellent - I'd echo what has been said about Mike the taxi driver - great bloke and an interesting guy to chat to!

As for the hotel itself - our room was fantastic - very spacious and leading out onto a private mini terrace facing the street. Extremely comfortable bed, lovely decor/artwork and the breakfasts were very good aswell.

Overall, excellent value given the quality offered and well recommended.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Gosforth_Ultra
Reviewed May 21, 2008

After spending a week in Cape Town at the lovely Rutland Lodge (I highly recommend it!!), then spending several nights at a few properties for safari, I was midly disappointed by The Space.

Pros
1. Good location for nightlife and several good restaurants including Soi and The Melville Grill. Also walking distance to stores and pharmacy.
2. Clean room, comfortable room with expected amenities (soap, shampoo, conditioner, clean towels.

Cons
1. My room was across from the main building. The Space has two separate buildings, so I had to use extra keys to go across the road for breakfast.
2. Breakfast, while free, was lousy considering the options they could have had for the same value - fresher breads for example.
3. Someone showed up at my door, just wondering if I was in. My room had already been cleaned for the day so it made me quite suspicious about the staff.
4. Management was not on site during normal business hours at all times. No one when I checked in offered me any assistance with regards to Joburg - no tour info, no map, nothing.
5. My bedroom tv would go off after a few minutes and I had to watch tv in the living room which was annoying since I like tv in bed.
6. They charge 50 rand more for airport transfers than Maxi Taxi.
7. The original room I was to have, suite 6, was somehow changed to suite 4. Also my suit had just been fixed up as the construction going on forced them to break through a wall. I could see the dust in certain areas and the outside garden was a mess as a result of the construction.

Overall, I would not book this property again. The customer service in general in Joburg I found to be lacking when compared to Cape Town. This extended from several restaurants to this lodge. Disappointing because with the right manager, it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank NYCGirl78
Reviewed March 13, 2008

The guest house is located at the end of a several block strip of bars and restaurants. We had no concerns about safety in the area - there was a security guard outside the guest house, and the strip was busy with people. The restaurants and bars are trendy and very reasonably priced.

The guest house is very good value. We had a large, clean, well decorated room with private patio. Staff was excellent - very helpful in arranging tours, providing restaurant recommendations and arranging taxis. Mike, the taxi driver, is a great guy - always prompt and very friendly. Highly recommend a stay at The Space.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SumachLad
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Located on the edge of trendy 7th Street, the Space Guest House is an understated walled compound, focused internally on its beautifully maintained landscaped modern courtyard. I stayed twice here, both on my way in and out of Johannesburg. Rooms are furnished in a contemporary retro 40’s Hollywood glam style- not over the top, but one room did verge on it. It also had no door on to the bath so one needed to pull the room curtains to have privacy. All rooms are completely different in layout and feel so you might want to inquire about specifics before booking. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms exceptionally clean. Joburg is one place where you need to get accustomed to gates, locks, security walls and electric wire- I was handed a number of keys, typical in South Africa, required to access the property and the room. I never asked, but could not get any decent reception on the TV- perhaps a note in the room explaining their system would be helpful. The management staff seemed generally preoccupied with administrative tasks, but with patience, I eventually got my questions answered. The only real disappointment was the breakfast, which seemed subpar compared to the accommodations. The baked goods appeared to be from a supermarket- sad since there is a nice bake shop just across the corner. When airport transfer was arranged, I was charge 20 rand more than the quoted price in my confirmation email- maybe an honest mistake, but annoying regardless. On the positive side, the staff was nice enough to hold luggage that I didn’t need between my stays and someone even sewed a tear in my pants which was extremely kind as I hurriedly packed for my flight out. All things considered, this was a pleasant experience and only minor improvements would really make this place special.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank SteveDesign
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I booked 3 nights for superior suite #1, the 1st 2 nights upon arrival in Jo'Berg and the 3rd night upon return from Cape Town, with a week "sandwiched" in between.

Suite #1 was a super roomy, beautiful accommodation which more than lived up to my expectations. However, upon return from Cape Town I was dismayed to learn that I'd been assigned to "Suite #4" for my 3rd night, even though I'd been booked for #1.

Disappointing because the room was tiny by comparison to Suite #1, which had been booked to someone else, for the next 2 nights. So apparently my reservation had been "bumped aside" for whatever reason even though I had written confirmation. And additionally, there was no management on duty at the time to voice my concerns to so I decided to "grin and bear it" because I figured it was just for one night anyway.

Which points to another issue I had; specifically, it was basically "hit and miss" sometimes as to when management would be on the premises. So when you had to take care of administrative issues or had other inquiries, at times there'd be no one around to help out.

Otherwise, the breakfast selection was somewhat "light", but was okay, because I considered it more of a bonus, vs a primary focus on the property's part.

The location was great as it was right on 7th street which was the main 3 or 4 block "drag" in Melville which had many restaurants and bars.

The property's security was excellent as well, as it was essentially a gated community which required key access to get to the inner rooms. The guards on duty were exceptionally friendly.

My only other negative experience was with one of the other
male employees there (didn't get a name) - but had a somewhat gruff demeanor - who kept demanding to know when I was going to check out of my room; even though I'd been given permission by Johan, the gracious owner of the property, for late checkout, due to my flight schedule.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend the property. But there were some areas for improvement needed.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank sbendernd
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This is a great place to stay in Melville, we had a suite which was self contained, great bathroom and nicely furnished rooms with outside area. The staff were helpful. The location is perfect - on the main street in Melville which has lots of good bars and restaurants and is safe to walk around. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple