“Beautiful, luxurious hotel with wonderful service!”
Review of The Peech Hotel

The Peech Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Although we only had one night at The Peech Hotel, the service, accomodations, and attention to detail amazed us. Free room service for dinner was a nice added touch, in addition to heated towel racks! Scattered rose petals and tea lights were a nice surprise for our honeymoon! Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
CooperP, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. I will make sure all the staff here get your comments. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed September 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Peech for three independent nights in September. While we were in and out of the hotel on three separate occasions over the course of two weeks, the excellent level of service never changed.

Highly recommended for anyone staying in Joburg for the first time. There are a couple of great restaurants nearby and the area feels quite safe, which was our primary concern.

The trip from the airport is about 400 rand by taxi (I was told), however we rented a car at Europcar and traveled to and from the airport that way. The first time to the Peech by car took us about 45 minutes as we got somewhat lost, and then subsequent times only took about 20 minutes.

Pay attention when they give you the instructions from the airport to the Peech (Peech staff gave these to us), there is a very confusing interchange between the R12 and the R3 that had us very confused. STAY RIGHT, and then merge left to get on the N3 towards Pretoria! :-)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
CooperP, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

Thanks for your feedback. I am off to the airport tomorrow and will check our directions to and back from the airport! To be honest we wrote them a while back and I know that there has been some road work at the "Gillolies" inter-section where you found it confusing. I will pass on your compliments to the staff.

Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed here for one night in one of the suites. The room was excellent, restaurant was nice and overall styling of the hotel was great. Location also good - within easy reach of various shops and services. My only gripe was that there was no hot water when we arrived (early evening) and it hadn't even heated up in time for me to shower before dinner, despite the fact that I'd asked them to switch it on manually. We had been on a long trip travelling through Madagascar and that day had a particularly testing one. BELIEVE ME, I was looking forward to a hot shower and was pretty disappointed when the most luxurious place we stayed in all trip managed to fail in this basic regard. They were apologetic and told me that they have some eco-friendly water heating system, which is all well and good, but if you're in this market charging this kind of money then guests have a right to expect hot water whenever they arrive at the hotel. Anyway, the rest of it was great and I would stay there again, but they need to fix the above problem.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

I sincerely apologise for the lack of hot water - and realise that is was not what you expected in a boutique hotel (especially after a long journey). We do run solar geysers with electrical backups but a staff error had turned off the electrical backup. I am sorry that this tainted your experience with us. We have since re-done our staff training on the use of the geysers and if you ever come back to South Africa I can guarantee hot water! Kind regards.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Me and my wife stayed here just for the one night because our flight was delayed till the next day and the lady at the check in desk said to go here so we grabbed a taxi and got there quite quickly prices were reasonable and the staff wer very welcoming
the rooms were very nice and comfortable everything a guest needs
Would recommend

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
CooperP, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2009

Many thanks for your review. I will make sure the whole team get your compliments.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights,first the bad ,had a 5am pick up arranged at the airport after long flight from the uk nobody they to meet me got taxi ,room cold not the only person to complain about this,engagment party started at lunch time by early evening the host blind drunk and offencive after nasty scene asked to leave, if there is a function on nowhere private for guests,now the good ,great tour to soweto with guide from hotel made the trip, great food and location and some nice staff. I would recommend this hotel but not if there is a function on as hotel guests seam to get forgotten

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo

Dear 'Jon66'. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts. I see you are in the UK so I can offer little consolation except to say we will take your points to heart and definitely look into them. I totally understand about the event noise and apologise for the inconvenience. We do try and screen what types of events we hold but this one got through our net and I know was totally unacceptable. The couple were very apologetic the day after but we should not have held the party in the first place. I will personally look into the taxi no-show as this is also not acceptable especially since Joburg can be a daunting place to arrive in. Please accept our apologies.

Reviewed July 1, 2009

I haven't been so pleasantly surprised and impressed by a hotel in years! The staff's welcome, the beautifully appointed room and attention to detail were all superb - down to the electric blanket for a chilly winter's night.!
The hotel's open layout, pool, herb garden, lawn and huge trees give it charm and privacy - yet it's just minutes from Rosebank's traffic, construction and busy shopping center.
My only complaint (though readily forgiven; this was Sunday night just before a big soccer match on TV.) was that my salmon entree was poorly prepared.
And checking out was very hard to do...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TheGafs
CooperP, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. I will make sure the whole team here get your kind words. Many thanks, James Peech

Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked the Peech for two nights in Johannesburg, and was very happy with it. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to my friends.

It is not a typical hotel, as the rooms are separate from the main building, set in the leafy garden, and this makes it a very pleasant experience. I enjoyed seeing the squirrels and ibis and cat roaming about. There was a large park and jogging area right next to it, which looked nice but we had no time to explore.

Everything has already been said about the rooms (large, well appointed, the iPOD dock, comfortable), breakfast and location. It's not a luxury hotel, but it is a close second. I would simply add that I thought it was good value, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your feedback. I will make sure the whole team gert your comments & praise. James Peech