All reviewsboutique hotelmelrose archwanderers cricketresident catgarden roomlovely boutiquean oasismain buildingsmall hotelstayed two nightsquiet neighborhoodsmall poollong flightapartheid museumrooms are largetravel agentspent one night
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights after arriving from Australia. Even though our flight was 2 hours late we were met at the arrivals gate and transported efficiently to the hotel. Our room (No. 3) was nicely appointed with a small outdoor courtyard and was serviced twice daily (including a turn down service). The shower was great and the bed and pillows very comfortable.

On two mornings we had to leave very early and the hotel arranged a breakfast box for us as well as a wake up call (which when unanswered because we did not hear the phone) was followed up with a knock on the door to make sure we were up and about to make our 4.15 pickup.

The food was very good and reasonably priced with interesting choices on each menu. Service was pleasant and helpful but occasionally a bit slow (not a concern for us but we saw others a little irritated). We hosted 3 different locals to a meal and, previously not aware of the Peech Hotel, they intend to return for dinner in the future (maybe a marketing opportunity for the hotel?)

All the staff were friendly and helpful, in particular Taryn (sp?) on the front desk who answered my many questions about what to do and where to go with good humour and practical advice, and patiently dealt with my concerns about security and safety with sensible answers. She arranged an excellent guide/ driver to take us to the Apartheit Museum (which was an excellent museum and a real eyeopener - I learnt heaps). She also arranged for luggage storage of unneeded things while we are travelling away and our transport to the airport with a great driver who was happy to tell us about his experiences of growing up in Joburg. Thanks Taryn.

Our stay in Johannesburg was really a matter of circumstance rather than preference (needing to be there for travel and meetings) and I was a little nervous about going (Joburg doesn't get positive press in Australia and the most recent was about the strikes and other unrest as well as crime etc). The staff at the Peech Hotel made my stay a pleasure and completely changed my (uninformed) view of the city.

We will be back there next week for one night before heading home and are looking forward to it imensely!

PS The only thing I would change is that I would get rid of the leaf blower which was used all too enthusiastically for what seemed like hours in the morning after a big thunder and rain storm over night

Room Tip: Room 3 on the ground floor has a courtyard area and looks out onto the pool area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandyV1
James P, Owner at The Peech Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We are delighted you enjoyed Johannesburg so much and were able to change your perception of the city. I have noted the use of the leaf blower in the mornings! Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed August 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Peech two years ago for a weekend birthday getaway from Mozambique, where we were living. We've been meaning to write a review as we really liked the concept of this hotel and it's by far the most special hotel we experienced in Joburg. The service was very friendly, room spacious and modern, and the staff was extremely helpful in accomodating our requests. I'd recommend this place for people looking for something a bit different, perhaps to celebrate a special occasion. We also found the restaurant to serve good food at both breakfast and dinner. We found the staff was friendly and refreshingly diverse. We also enjoyed the attention paid towards ecological sustainability in the design and decor of the place. The location near Melrose Arch is great if you want to experience some of the restaurants there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to tell the whole team. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was a superb hotel - lovely rooms and food to die for in front of the open fire. The room had good facilities and a lovely view of the garden. The ipod docker was a bonus! After a long flight we arrived early and there was no problem with early check in. Reception organised a tour for us with no hassle

We had a short but relaxing stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samanthak27
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will be sure to tell the whole staff. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The Peech hotel is not a place that many cabs know of but, in this Melrose district, it's a gem. Nestled off Oxford street, the staff offer warm welcomes and offer assistance at all times, and the food and service is unparalled. The restaurant is a rustic/modern blend both in decor and menu selections. The waitors are genuinely happy to see you and offer insight to the menu and drink offerings. The room itself is modern without pretense and the bathroom has the best rain shower in South Africa. The only downside it the dependence on taxis to get around the city but that seems to be the safest road to travel. Thank you for a memorable last few days in SA.

Room Tip: Second floor as sound carries and get a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hel1969
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am delighted your enjoyed your stay & will make sure the team read your comments. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Almost a year later I still have warm memories of our stay at Hotel Peech. It was the perfect start to a glorious trip to SA. The service was friendly, responsive and knowledgeable. I loved the decor-- contemporary craft and style, at once elegant and comfortable. The restaurant was excellent, exceeded expectations, and both dinner and breakfast menus had some unusual and successful choices. The best of a small, personal, one of a kind hotel Thank you, James, and all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Styleandcraft
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm delighted they stayed for as long as a year!! Kind regards, James Peech