“Perfect South Africa Welcome”
Review of The Peech Hotel

The Peech Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Almost a year later I still have warm memories of our stay at Hotel Peech. It was the perfect start to a glorious trip to SA. The service was friendly, responsive and knowledgeable. I loved the decor-- contemporary craft and style, at once elegant and comfortable. The restaurant was excellent, exceeded expectations, and both dinner and breakfast menus had some unusual and successful choices. The best of a small, personal, one of a kind hotel Thank you, James, and all the staff.

1  Thank Styleandcraft
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm delighted they stayed for as long as a year!! Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I can recommend The Peech as an excellent base to use wether you're touring/overnighting Jhb or there on business. The reception I received on a chilly Sunday evening warmed me right up! The room was perfect and food and wine were excellent too. And every member of staff I chatted to was a pleasure. And the owner James was on hand too - well done James and your excellent team!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to us. I will make sure the team hear your great feedback. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed July 4, 2012

After spending four nights on honeymoon on safari, we stayed at the peech ready for the next part of our journey.
The hotel was very clean with iPod deck and wifi, but lacked any luxury and warmth, feeling more like an apartment block.
The food was very good with a good menu choice and set at a reasonable price.

The swimming pool is small and was redundant in their winter not because it was cold but because it was full of leaves.

I would recommend this hotel as a business or a stop off, I wouldn't come here for a week.

Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I have taken note of the pool leaves and warmth of the room and apologize these were not to your liking. We endeavor to learn from the comments we get and so will do our best to rectify both. I am glad the food and room cleanliness was good and will be sure to pass this on to the team. Kind regards, James

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I went there this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary and we had an awesome time. They currently have an arrangement with a company called Cloud9 that arranged full body massages, in-room 3-course meal and breakfast all at the hotel. It's a great arrangement they have since the hotel is just so comfortable and very nice. It's a nice hideaway especially in busy Johannesburg. The room was very neat, clean and well put together. Loved the decor and the gadgets. Really cool that the radio in the room works as an iphone docking station, so while we were getting our massages we could play our own music to set the mood. The AC in the room didn't do a great job at heating up the room, but the heated blankets worked very well, to the point I eventually had to turn it off. The bathroom had a tub that sorta could hold two persons and the shower. Oh the shower was a little piece of heaven. It had a rainfall showerhead that was heavenly. Their bathrobes were cottony soft and I appreciated the slippers that came along with it. The room had everything we needed and more. Even an outside patio where you could enjoy the night air while sitting and sipping tea. If you were on the ground floor, the patio area could be closed off for more privacy. The 3 course meal and breakfast were delicious as well. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kramn
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments - we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to check out The Peech this past weekend. It's situated in Melrose, a stone's throw from Melrose Arch and right next door to the Planet Fitness Gym. I loved everything about it from beginning to end.

We drove up to the gate and it opened immediately, without us even having to ring the bell. I can recall waiting outside the gate for 15 minutes at a previous visit to the 5 star Stirling Manor in Hartbeespoort and I immediately drew a comparison.

We entered the lobby and I only noticed at this point that the hotel had a 4 star rating. I think they're better than some 5 star places I've stayed at. The lobby was warm and inviting, and our check in procedure was prompt and efficient.

I absolutely loved the room. It felt like I was in an apartment. There were high ceilings which created an airiness and feeling of space. There were also extra touches like an ipod dock, heated towel rails and an electric blanket on the bed. These were a real spoil, especially for a 4 star hotel. I've stayed in 5 star places that just have the bare minimum.

We initially had planned to go to Melrose Arch for dinner because hotel restaurants are never really anything great. Once we saw the menu for the Peech's Bistro, we immediately decided to eat there, and we were SO impressed with the food. It honestly competes on the same level of the best restaurants I've been to in JHB, like DW11-13 and Signature.

Although the Bistro is lacking a tad in ambiance (there was just one other occupied table in the restaurant), the food is absolutely amazing and the service is impeccable. You'll pay similar prices to most of Jozi's top restaurants, so R50-R60 for starters, R80-R120 for mains and R50ish for dessert.

Breakfast was also of a really high standard. Instead of the usual mass produced hotel buffet, we sat down to a small buffet table of fruit, cereal, pastries and cheese.
We also were given a menu to order from as our hot meal. Think french toast with berry compote, eggs benedict, and loads of other delicious sounding treats.

I loved the experience and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thanks so much for the review. I will make sure the team get to read it. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed June 4, 2012

On my first visit to South Africa I stayed at the Peech Hotel, what a welcome. Staff were great. Accommodations nice. It was small enough to meet other travels. In fact we met travelers who would be joining us on safari. Rooms were bungalows. Now if you are used to Ist class 5 star hotels you might be disappointed. Because the furniture was modest but the gardens and courtyard was lovely.

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I will make sure the whole team get to read it. Kind regards, James Peech

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We spent an extremely romantic evening at the Peech Hotel on my birthday. From the moment that we arrived we were made to feel welcome and at home. The service was exceptional and the staff all appeared proud to be working at the establishment.

It is worthwhile using the service of “an Evening Out” - Cloud 9 for that special touch (www.floatation.co.za). We had a full body massage in our room followed by a delicious dinner served in our room. We felt like a prince and princess!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm delighted you had a good stay. Kind regards, James Peech