All reviews earth room the blue room craighall park garden cottage thought of everything homemade rusks south africa home away from home guest house attention to detail private patio every morning self catering thoughtful touches heated floors underfloor heating come home
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I travel to SA a lot on business and have stayed in numerous hotels, B & B and lodges. Liz@Lancaster is by far the best accommodation we have found. We always try and stay here, as the service, rooms and amenities are the best, and you get great value for your money. The whole package is great as Liz really does try to do everything she can to make your stay more comfortable. Zac their driver is also great, and is always on hand to help.

Overall the best place I have found so far to stay, I highly recommend Liz@lancaster

Room tip: The Ochre room is my favourite
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Nkosi, we so enjoy seeing you every time you have a return visit. You like many others are part of the greater Liz at Lancaster family of guests who return for hopefully the same reasons you do: value for money, good service and comfortable amenities. Plus of course Zac's driving services and friendly helpfulness. We're delighted that all went well with Hayley's op and it was such a success. So thanks again for taking to time to write about your various stays here at Liz at Lancaster and we look forward to seeing you next time you are down in SA again.
All the best from the Liz at Lancaster team: Liz, Zac, Catherine and Thandie

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We just stayed 3 nights at Liz at Lancaster. I have stayed at a wide variety of guest houses and this is in my top 5 for sure! First of all, they made everything so easy. From check-in, to sorting out breakfast, to getting in and out, it was all easy. The room was lovely (I believe we stayed in the Earth room) which is attached. We heard a TINY bit of noise but nothing that would keep you awake. I enjoyed having a kitchenette so we did not have to go out every night. The wi-fi is GREAT, and made getting work done so much easier. The breakfast was also very good. I love how they have little notes posted everywhere! It makes the stay so easy, and you don't have to ask a million questions. She also has a large booklet of TONS of information in each room, which is very helpful.

Overall, it was a great stay. There were nice personal touches (recycle bin, bath products, electric blanks, and home-made rusks!) which made the stay lovely. We did not meet the owner herself, but were taken VERY good care of even though she was away!

THANK YOU!

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hi Meg,
I am so sorry to have missed you when you came to stay. I was away on a five day break in Kruger Park (which was just wonderful.) I am really pleased that you enjoyed staying here and that all the details and small luxuries were appreciated and made a difference. We do try to make things as easy as possible for guests at all stages: from enquiry; to booking; to airport collection; to getting to know the ins-and outs of the room and facilities on arrival; to what's on offer in the immediate area and in Joburg generally, etc. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Liz at Lancaster. We're delighted that all went smoothly, that it was such a great stay and most importantly, that we are in your TOP 5 guesthouses. That is a really great accolade. We look forward to welcoming you back if and when you are ever back in Joburg.
From us all at Liz at Lancaster : Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie and while I was away : Olga and Dick

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed in Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse on 31 May 2013 and really felt valued from the time of booking all the way to reception. Liz and her staff have a warm heart and know how to make travelers feel at home away from home. The Wi-Fi even made my business simpler as I could catch with my daily task once I settled in the room. The breakfast was excellent. Overall the services available at Lancaster Guesthouse is value for money.

Room tip: The whole guesthouse is of best quality, you cannot regret upon arrival. I encourage you to think of Lancaster Guesthouse first whenever you think of a trip to Johannesburg.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Samuel we really appreciate the time and trouble you took to give feedback on your stay with us. Thank you. As a South African your comment about value for money is really appreciated as we certainly try to go the extra mile with value added conveniences and it is good to get positive feedback about this. You say too that the wi-fi enabled you to keep to your work commitments. We have a regular guest who also makes use of the landline phone for conference calls (each unit has its own phone with direct line), as he prefers it to using his mobile phone. So yes, we do cater equally for the business and leisure traveller. I’m sure business will bring you back to Joburg, so we hope to see you again on your next visit.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster: Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Ochre Studio where we stayed for three nights at Liz @ Lancaster was a pure delight: clean, cozy, relaxing, quiet and privately secluded. What a fantastic "home" away from home!

We could not think of anything that Liz did not think ahead and prepare for her guests' needs. She even prepared an info book on any and every topic for anyone visiting Johannesburg. It really came in handy for us - visiting Jo-Burg for the first time.

She even listed on the info book the FM102.7 classical music station which we still tune to after returning to NY. Thanks to Internet and WIFI!!

On our second night stay, we decided to eat-in at the studio just so we could avail of this simple pleasure of rest and relaxation we found so therapeutic!

On the third night, we met up for dinner with our sister at the Cnr Road Café down the road.
We can see that for Liz, this is a mission for her with all her energy and thoughtfulness in caring for her guests.

We will never forget the delicious rusks Liz have so kindly home-baked for her guests and the special blend of coffee, that on cool nights and cool mornings, it was just the perfect heart and stomach warming delight.

We can't wait to go back and visit Liz and Zac and of course, Molly!!

Room tip: Check ahead with Liz as her place is so popular with returning guests.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe_GardenCity

We at Liz at Lancaster are so pleased you had such a good time on your first visit to South Africa and to Joburg. Thank you Joe for taking the time and trouble to write about your experiences during your visit. And wonderful that SA’s Classic FM station is now being listened to all the way across the seas in New York City!! It was good that you had a meal at the Cnr. Café as they have a great menu with very good food. I have never had a mediocre meal there. You can see why it consistently gets the thumbs up for the being an excellent neighbourhood restaurant. I wish I could have given you some rusks to take back with you – you could have enjoyed them with your coffee in New York and been transported back to South Africa ! Now that ‘the African bug has bitten’ we so hope that you will return to SA and if so that ypu will come and stay with us again. We really enjoyed meeting you both.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster including a tail wag from Marley !

Reviewed May 20, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay.
Our family is spread over north and south Johannesburg so location is a bonus.
Thanks for looking after us so well and the breakfasts set us up for the day.
A hotel would be far too impersonal and we enjoyed the quiet garden.
Des and Angela

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Des E
Liz D, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

We're delighted Des and Angela that you found the location at Liz at Lancaster to be so convenient. As you know, many of South Africa's map books are published by Map Studio. And Map Studio's book of Joburg has a schematic diagram of this large metropolis with motorways, main arteries and key suburbs. And RIGHT in the centre of Map Studio's diagram is Craighall Park, which as you so rightly point out, is equidistant from the southern and northern regions of this large sprawling. Plus of course we are less than 15 minutes from Sandton, Randburg, Johannesburg Central and Cresta in the west, and less than 10 minutes from Rosebank. So we are certainly a central location. Good too that the garden was a haven in this bustling city.
All the best from the team at Liz at Lancaster: Liz , Catherine, Zac and Thandie