“Thoughtful details make this our best BnB stay in South Africa!”

Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This was our last night in South Africa and my did Liz outperform our expectations! She was so kind as to even upgrade our room as it was our wedding anniversary!

From the well maintained gardens to the thoughtful little things (she provides home made muesli, plug adaptors, even torchlight and a safe in your own room! Etc etc)

It's also very close to a super spar store and just 5min drive to rosebank mall where there's an African crafts market and 3 malls to shop and great eating places.

Safe neighbourhood too!

• Stayed: October 2011
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Thank you for your comments on your brief stay here at Liz at Lancaster. If we had known it was your anniversary we would have offered you one of our local 'champagnes' which we call Cap Classiques. Some are really excellent. But even without the champagne, we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and that all our attempts to make visitors' stays as comfortable and hassle free as possible, did indeed make a difference for you. And yes it is such a central neighbourhood for shopping, restaurants and the famous Rosebank Rooftop market. Thank you again for takintg the time to review Liz at Lancaster. We hope that if ever you are in South Africa and Jozi again, you will come and stay with us.
From all at Liz at Lancaster : Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie

Reviewed October 9, 2011

If you're in Joburg, Liz's is a great place to stay. It's in a quiet and very pretty neighbourhood of Craighall. I stayed in the 'Ochre room', it's actually a separate home on it's own, with a private patio with seating area outside. The room itself was very well appointed with a small equipped kitchen, dining area, sofa bed, large bed and bathroom with separate tub and shower facility. The breakfast area is in the main house, in the indoor patio...really pretty room and a delicious & filling breakfast is served.
There is a restaurant & grocery store at the end of the street and it's a convenient spot to be for any day trips. I arranged everything online with Liz and it was super easy. There are tons of tips on her website on things to see and do in Joburg and surrounding areas. I was able to get great advice on tours and tour companies, so I arranged all my day trips in advance...they turned out marvelous. Also in the room there is a booklet of great tour ideas, information about the area and lot's of take-away and food delivery suggestions.
Also must mention Zac was fantastic, a great cook & driver! Marley the dog is so super friendly, I loved her company. There's also a pool to sit and relax by...
A really lovely experience! Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Your review is so extensive and descriptive and really gives a sense of the guesthouse, the neighbourhood and our ethos. Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write such a thought-through and constructive review of your stay here. We are just so pleased that all your tours worked out and that you were able to make the most of your stay here in Joburg. And of course we are so happ that you enjoyed your stay here with us.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster: Liz, Zac, Catherine, Thandie and of course a big tail wag from Marley

Reviewed August 23, 2011

As frequent business traveler I spend lots of my life on noisy planes, airports, hotels, taxis... So quiet room and good sleep is most important criteria, in particular when travel for leisure. Liz at Lancaster is located in a safe and VERY quiet and calm location.

There's a Spar grocery store, pharmacy, .. end of the street ~200m from Liz (walking distance, completely safe). Few large malls in 5km radius.

With two kids of 8 and 9, we had to plan the 2-week vacation in advance, and email communication with Liz was excellent. Upon arrival and long flights, Liz greeted us in a truly friendly manner. Later we realized it was not just a made up smile for new guests (typical for business hotels), but actually the fantastic hospitality at all times by Liz and all of her crew.

Breakfast in a beautifully decorated room with fireplace (winter in July), overlooking garden and swimming pool (wish it was summer :-), was the best way to start day. Delicious food, fruits, juice, .. efficient service and again the friendliness and sense of humor of Liz and crew.

Oh, must not forget the Liz's dog - kids just loved her, especially for her help with large breakfasts :-)

Thanks again Liz for great stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Thank you for the kind words about your stay at Liz at Lancaster and for sharing your experience with other travellers. And yes, the access to shops within walking distance and the excellent facilities closeby are such an added convenience. We so enjoyed having you to stay. One of the many good things about running the guesthouse is the many wonderful people we meet from all over the world and you and your family were certianly some of those. We are so pleased that the rest of your stay in South Africa was so good and that the children enjoyed it. Marley misses them ! Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write a review of Liz at Lancaster. If ever you come back this way again, there will always be a warm welcome from us all at Liz at Lancaster - Liz, Catherine, Zac and Thandie .... and of course Marley!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I am a South African living temporarily abroad and I have occasion to travel to South Africa at least a couple of times each year, on business.
It took me a few of these trips to understand that a good bed and breakfast establishment has much more to offer than just about any hotel you can think of. A few more trips were necessary for me to find the bed and breakfast with by far the best mix of all the elements I consider essential to make such a service, a winner.
Obviously a high overall standard of hygiene in every aspect of the interaction between the service provider and the guest is one of the first priorities any traveler is going to look for. A high standard of security is probably next on most travelers list of requirements. Central location, in easy reach of the main business districts, good restaurants and a good selection of choices of eateries too has to be a priority for most of us as well of course as a good super market. Pleasant surroundings to come home to after a tough day are important to me and I would guess just about all travelers. Possibly one of the highest priorities for many including myself, I freely admit is value for money.
Well I have to say that of all the bed and breakfast offerings I have sampled in South Africa – Liz at Lancaster in the quiet leafy Johannesburg suburb of Craighall Park is way out in front as far as my needs are concerned and I would suppose the needs of most other travelers too for that matter. Add to this the fact that it is consistently good and has never on any of my numerous visits suffered any drop in standards and I would have to say that this is the way to keep customers happy and therefore to keep your customers.
But there is something else, something less tangible. Something which for me at least and I would guess, probably for many others - the attitude of the people who work hard to provide high quality accommodation and therefore make a major contribution to an all round good Johannesburg experience.
Liz Delmont and her staff have, because of their fundamental friendliness and natural warmth truly become for me like my Johannesburg family. I really do not enjoy leaving my family to go travelling to the other side of the planet, but Liz and her team have consistently made me feel that I among good friends and yes even caring family who are honestly concerned are about me, about how tired I may be at the end of a difficult day or how stressed I may be feeling at the start of what I know is going to be a tough day.
I would have to say that Liz at Lancaster has more that delivered on its promise and the secret edge it has over the competition is the people who work every day to make their guests feel like family. Every time I stay at Liz at Lancaster I am obviously always pleased when it is time to go home but always a little sad to say goodbye to good friends.
I highly recommend Liz at Lancaster to any visitor travelling to Johannesburg – South Africa.
Brian Ruskin
Vina del Mar - Chile

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

We at Liz at Lancaster are bowled over by your extensive, considered and detailed review. You talk about us as your 'family' here. We are only to happy that for you, Liz at Lancaster is a second home. We are proud that returning guests (of whom we have many) often get out of the car and say with a sigh after long travels .. 'we are back home'. Although we always ensure that guests have their space and privacy, we are only too aware that it is good when you are travelling to come home to a warm and welcoming environment. So many guests comment on the ethos of personal caring at Liz at Lancaster and how nothing is too much trouble for the staff - Zac, Catherine and Thandi who always welcome with big smiles. And of course you will always have a special place in the heart of your faviourite four-legged friend - Marley ! So thank you again for sharing with fellow travellers, your responses to your stay at Liz at Lancaster.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

An absolutely fabulous accommodation!! Has the warmth and comfort of home with every, and I mean, "every", need carefully attended by Liz and her kind and gracious staff. The attention to detail is exceptional and there is everything anyone would ever need in a home away from home, tastily provided in a scrupulously clean and well attended environment. Liz generously goes out of her way to ensure not only your comfort, but also your every desire to visit any site, museum, shop, etc. to make your stay in Joburg most memorable and pleasant! She will even make bookings on your behalf!! Zac provides transportation to and from almost any venue you desire and his caring reliability is outstanding! Honestly, I cannot find any more superlatives to recommend this Guesthouse! It simply needs to be experienced to be believed!! If you are ever in Joburg, you MUST stay a Liz on Lancaster. Liz and her staff are the salt of the earth and I now can only hope I will return to Joburg one day so I can once again savour the warm comfort of this wonderful Guesthouse!! Did I say that breakfasts are to die for??? And, Liz will make sure to provided you with a bag breakfast if your tour leaves before you have had a chance to eat!! Such fantastic hospitality!!

Room Tip: Located in a residential neighbourhood; all 7 units are quiet and enclosed by a gated wall off a lit...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Your words are very generous. Thank you. Liz and her staff were delighted to read your excellent review. You certainly have highlighted many of the features which capture our business ethos and the ambience and standards we strive for - great comfort in the rooms with attention to detail, peaceful tranquility and privacy, personal but unobtrusive service, facilitation of easy access to Joburg and Gauteng's places of interests, restaurants and shopping highlights, and, of course, hearty breakfasts freshly prepared to enjoy by the crackling log fire ... an essential for those chilly Joburg winter mornings. We are pleased that for your early morning departure for the Pilanesberg, we were able to provide you with what South Africans call 'padkos' [literally - food for the road]. If you are ever down south again, all the way from Richmond Canada, we hope to give you a warm welcome back.
From us all at Liz at Lancaster

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Liz at Lancaster is a wonderful place to relax in a very busy city. Liz and her staff help create a peaceful environment to recuperate after a long day. Rooms are very comfortable, breakfast is lavish, and the staff is committed to providing a pleasant stay. Located in the middle of a lovely street in a suburb of Johannesburg, we were able to walk to restaurants and were 20 mins from anywhere we wanted to go. We look forward to returning to this four star, incredibly reasonably priced B&B, as soon as we can.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Liz and her team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at Liz at Lancaster. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with fellow Tripadvisor travelers. We certainly enjoyed meeting you and were glad things worked out with your various site seeing trips and your conference arrangements. with you travelling to places all over Joburg from Wits University, to Rosebank, to the M1 on-ramp to Pretoria, it was good that you found Craighall Park such a central location with easy access to all these places. Thank you again for coming to stay with us at Liz at Lancaster and then taking the time to write a review.
All the best from Liz, Zac, Catherine and Thandie

Reviewed July 7, 2011

There are many four star hotels that do not give you the cleanliness, great comfort and incredible attention to details that you get at Liz's. This is home away from home, in the very best sense. Lavish breakfasts, delightful garden, friendly and knowledgeable people. Having experienced it once, I would never stay anywhere else in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Liz and the team at Liz at Lancaster are delighted that you had such a good time staying with us. We certainly enjoyed meeting to you and chatting with you. We try to offer all the luxuries of a 4 star hotel at a quarter the price so are pleased that you felt that we succeed ! It was good too that the conference was such a success and that your excursions to Pilanesberg, the Cradle of Humankind and Soweto all worked out so well. You know if ever you are back down south again, we will welcome you warmly!
All the best