“Never a five star hotel in a million years!”

10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This hotel is a pretend boutique hotel. My room was large but very ordinary by hotel standards. It was also unfortunately above the conference room which no-one warned me about. (more later) The room was dated and lacking any charisma (Room 5 - avoid rooms 5-7) but right next to the pool. Unfortunately the automatic cleaner ran the whole time I was here and the pool is not heated so couldn't be used. Litter on the tables remained in situ for the two hours that I sat by the pool with the staff regularly walking past to and from the conference room.
Check in was efficient but after that service declined rapidly. The Professor tried his hardest but when you're up against it as he was then you cannot win. The evening meal was a joke. The A la carte chicken turned out to be two chicken drumsticks (see photo) and it was little wonder that there were no other diners in the restaurant that evening. (For an extortionate amount of money) What was more amazing was that all the staff departed at 945 (2145) and the bar closed !! This is not five star hotel dining service or operating hours.
The morning arrived very early for me as I was awoken by staff setting up the conference suite below my room. This was followed by cars arriving and dropping people off and then the cackle of noise from the attendees taking coffee on the balcony below my room. Not ideal when you have been travelling long distances. Breakfast was cooked to order and was ok.
I wont be staying here again on my travels later this month.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms 5 to 7 as they are above the conference suite and you will be awoken early in the m...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you once again for the time and effort to write your extremely objective report. Your comments have been taken into consideration and action-ed upon. We regret that your stay with us was not up to your standard and memorable. Your comments are appreciated.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

a very sophisticated boutique hotel located in a smart suburb of Johannesburg close to where Nelson Mandela's final house was. It is like staying in a large townhouse with a beautiful garden to relax in. Rooms are large and well apportioned. Full DSTV and excellent wifi. This is a good hotel for a business stay as well as a base for exploring Johannesburg, and first place to stay on arrival in South Africa. Food is very good and Manager & staff are very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments and time for completing the Tripadsvisor feedback form. We all here at 10 2ND Avenue Houghton Estate strive to give our best personal attention to all our guests - your "home from home".

All comments are appreciated.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Well, having stayed in many small boutique hotels around the world and having just stayed at The Residence in Jo'burg - a genuine 5 star boutique this hotel was an instant disappointment.

Greeted politely at reception and registration simple. Shown to room (14) which was mediocre - I rate this as mediocre based on a 5 star establishment, if a 3 star then the room would hit the mark. The bed was pretty firm, no choice of pillows, the Chez Lounge in the corner was stained. The bathroom was clean, bulb not working out of the three (its the detail that sets the standards from a 3 to 4 or even 5 star).

Talking of the bathroom - this is the first hotel that I have stayed in that gave sealed Kleenex tissues in the bathroom than a tissue box - weird, cheap, and felt like cost cutting. The toiletries were pleasant smelling.

Again, if this were a true 5 star I would have expected fesh milk in the fridge than UHT on the side, a proper coffee machine (pods) than sachets. The furniture was a little tired and the fridge not the cleanest within a cheap mdf cabinet.

The place was deserted - soon found out why!

Sat by the pool, no cushions on the seats (had to acquire these), an apple core had been left on the table and for the two hours I sat there a flurry of staff walked pass without any inclination to remove it (you couldnt miss it). No drinks were offerred either in the time I sat there! The pool cleaning machine was on the duration of the stay, the water very cold and the pool condition very poor.

So where was everyone - if I only had asked - the food at No 10 was dreadful, words cannot describe the evening meal (everyone else had sussed this and gone out). We ordered of the A la Carte - the menu was not extensive - 3/4 starters - 4 mains and similar desserts. I ordered the Chicken. Well the way the menu was written I was in for a culinary delight and at 1450 Rand it was going to be special - what the ???? was I dished up - two chicken drumsticks, undercooked wedges, veg and gloop of curry style sauce (see the photo). In all the years I have travelled I have NEVER been given a drumstick as an A la Carte option!! It was vile. I did not eat any of the meal, called the Manager and explained my distate, I explained I would have expected Chicken Breast as a minimum to be told they can make it with Breast if I wanted - NOooooo - you dont get it do you - why didnt you do that in the first place, are you really that proud to serve this?

Anyway, Manager said no charge (flippin right) and I asked for just a toasted sandwich as to be honest the expectation was very low on anything else.

Breakfast was an improvement (slight) - chose a cooked english breakfast, whilst the egg was uncooked and watery, the remainder was edible. On visiting the buffet to grab and Croissant, ham and cheese, was told no more Croissants avail - no big deal but we were the only guests there!

Plus side, they arranged a car and driver very swiftly for the day.

Downsides - wander around and you see unkempt attention, stains on the sofas etc.

Now, a good manager of a 5 star hotel spends time and stays in each room as though they were the guest to iron out issues - I suggest No 10 start doing this.

One final point, was told at 9.45pm that the bar had closed, and had lost count the number of times I was asked if I was a) going to eat at the hotel and b) when was I going to order. This is because they wanted out of there! We ordered about 8pm, a normal time!

Would I go back. No.

is it a 5 star boutique - No

3 star aspirational - Yes

Clean the pool, Improve the food and add attention to the detail.

One last thing - when a guest asks for a WIFI code, just provide it and not make some sarcastic comment its in the room folder if I had cared to read it! I had just arrived, dropped my bags and came straight out of my room to order a drink!

1  Thank jaydogz
JPretorius119, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

We thank you for your time and honesty in writing this report. All comments are noted and acted upon. It is with much regret to learn that your visit to our beautiful property was not enjoyable. Please accept our sincere apologies for your most unfortunate stay with us.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I chose 10 2nd Avenue mainly because of location and expected somewhere nice. When I arrived, checked in and was shown to my room I worried that I may have read the prices wrongly and had come to somewhere far more expensive that I could afford.

The house is an elegant, very nicely converted family mansion in peaceful and spacious grounds. I went to sleep to the sound to rustling trees in a cool breeze and woke to birdsong. The room was breathtaking. Huge, with a massive and very comfortable bed topped with a puffy duvet in crispy white linen and more pillows that I knew what to do with. Also in the room were two comfortable armchairs, a large TV, plenty of wardrobe space and room to swing many cats, The bathroom was well equipped with luxurious soaps and lotions

Breakfast was several steps above the norm with delicious and varied buffet and a creative and appealing menu to chose from - all included in the price. Apparently the evening meals are wonderful too, but I didn't get a chance to try.

With an airy and comfortable lounge, terraces, pool and bar to relax in, I could easily have stayed here for a week. Sadly I was limited to one night, but I'll be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We sincerely thank you for your time to write this report. Your kind words are appreciated and will be forwarded to our staff. We hope to welcome you back to 10 2ND Avenue Houghton Estate really soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We commend Professor for his friendly service. This establishment is not recommended for dinner. The Parma ham Hors de oeuvre: 1 out of 5. The LONG-FROZEN Kabeljou main course: MINUS 5 out of 5. The unappetizing presented Fillet steak: scored 1 out of 5. We encourage future guests to rather book dinner at Thomas Maxwell Bistro in Parkmore; telephone number: 011 784 1575.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
HoughtonEstate, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you so much for your comments with regards to your dinner experience. Although not very positive we always welcome all feedback and use this feedback to improve our standards and quality. Your comments have been related to the appropriate department and Professor is delighted with your comment. Thank you!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We decided on dinner at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, having read raving reviews. We were six adults, and there were three choices of mains: fillet, kabeljou and a vegetarian meal. Five of the six of us chose the kabeljou. We were each confronted with what appeared to resemble a small piece of recently defrosted grey fish. According to Professor, our very helpful waiter for the evening, the chef said that the fish was freshly delivered "two days ago". At R 165 for the main meal, this was not only overpriced, but a huge disappointment. To be avoided!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
HoughtonEstate, General Manager at 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Lyon, thank you very much for your comments. Please take note that ALL comments are welcomed and used as measuring tools to improve our standards and quality. I do apologise for the "poor quality" of food you received. Kindly contact me directly as I would like to invite your and your party back for dinner - on me!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We arrived the first night rather late but the reception could not have been friendlier.Our room was large, with a fridge and a.c. Everybody was very helpful and friendly, tried to find us nice restaurants, ordered reliable taxidrivers and so on. The breakfast was allright and we had dinner there twice, it appeared to be a good choice. A loggia with comfortabele coaches, a large garden and deck chairs next to the swimming pool.
The only odd thing was the sliding door between the room and the bathroom. That door didn't close properly, so if you are in need of some privacy...
But all in all we certainly can recommend this place in a nice and safe neighbourhood.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our property. Thank you very much for the kind words. Your appreciation will be passed on to the relevant departments. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to 10 2nd Avenue Houghton Estate one day soon.