Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2013

From the moment we arrived from our overnight flight from Singapore we really loved staying at Rutland House and Delia is such a good hostess, somehow finding time to chat and fill us in. The property is most attractive and well looked after and is in a very secure and safe area. Delia also organises safe collection and delivery to the airport. Delicious breakfasts cooked in front of us and a firstclass restaurant for dinner close by. We think South African B&Bs are as good as we have ever found, and this was certainly one of the best.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for your great review. It was a pleasure to have you to stay and I am pleased I could give you a good welcome to South Africa for the first few nights on your holiday at Rutland House. I trust the rest of your holiday was as successful and enjoyable.
With very best regards

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Rutland House was recommended to me as being in the vicinity of the conference centre where I was to attend a scientific conference. It is situated in a quiet upmarket residential area with safe parking. The Duck suite was extremely well appointed, consisting of an attractive bedroom with all B&B amenities and a spacious and clean en-suite bathroom. I was able to relax in the well-kept garden and later was told that dinner could be prepared for me at nominal cost and save me foraging for supper elsewhere. The dinner delivered to my room was excellent as was the breakfast the next morning. On leaving for the conference venue, I was supplied with a user-friendly map that took me straight to my venue. One of the best B&B's that I have visited!

Room Tip: My room was near to my parked car, next to the well kept, secluded garden with swimming pool and lit...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you Piet, for your lovely review. I enjoyed chatting to you whilst I cooked your breakfast and I am pleased I was able to save you from the very early morning traffic from Pretoria.
I hope to see you again in the near future when you are next lecturing at Hacklebrooke Conference Centre just around the corner from me.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have just come back from a wonderful weekend in Johannesburg - staying at Rutland House. My husband and I and little baby Cate stayed in the Orchard Room. All the normal anxiety of travelling with an infant quickly dissipated as we were welcomed so warmly and made to feel very at home. The Orchard Room is cosy and comfy - and fitted out with a fridge and microwave and tea / coffee making facilities. We managed very well with the baby - and she loved the comfy camp cot provided. A big thank you to Delia and her team who were friendly, gracious and accommodating. The breakfasts are fabulous!

Room Tip: The Orchard room has 2 single beds and a sleeper couch. There is only a shower - no bath. There is...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Penny,
It was a pleasure to have you all to stay. I am only sorry little Cate was not so well and I hope she is better now. I enjoyed our chats at breakfast and I hope to see you all back at Rutland House in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to write this super review.
Very best regards

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just come back from a great weekend in Joburg. We needed a B&B close to Sandton, Athol and Wanderer's Club (for a friend's 40th) and were lucky enough to find Rutland House - central, safe and perfect for our needs. We stayed in the SKY suite and it was beautifully appointed with all the nice "touches" like tea, fresh milk, rusks etc.
Our family stayed in the Orchard Room with their baby, and again, the room was beautifully laid out, with self-catering facilities and a camp cot for the baby.
I loved the garden, the breakfasts and the staff who made us feel so welcome!
Many thanks to Delia and her team. We'll definitely be back.
Linsey & Paul

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lindsay,
Thank you for choosing Rutland House and for being such great guests. It was my pleasure to have you to stay and I enjoyed our chats and laughs over breakfasts.
Thank you for writing the lovely review.
I look forward to having you back in the near future.
Best regards

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Cottage in Rutland house for a month. The cottage is positioned ideally to afford privacy and security. Delia was very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home. The cottage was cleaned daily and the staff were friendly and courteous. An ideal place for a family looking for accommodation for a long stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Anasuaya, for spending your first month in Johannesburg at Rutland House and for writing a lovely review. I am pleased that we were able to give you that sense of security for your families new life in a new country. it was a pleasure to have you to stay and very best of luck to your daughters at their new school and your husband at his new job.
with very best regards

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in The Orchard room with my parents. It had two single beds and a sofa bed, tv, microwave, fridge and kettle. We arrived and there was a selection of teas with some rusks on our table. The rooms are very shabby chic with an old fashioned cottage feel.
The rooms were cleaned daily, we would go for breakfast and when we returned it would have been done for us. Very good service.
We had breakfast every morning which was fruit, a selection of cereals, toast and a cooked breakfast to your liking. It was very nice with a decent variety.
We did asked for dinner one night Olga and Dickie were very accomidating but due to the food being defrosted it did not taste of much if im honest.
The service that we got at Rutland House was fantastic. I cant say a bad word about our hosts they were very friendly, accomidating and genuine.
Thanks x

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank your for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry I was not here to meet you but I am pleased my relief managers looked after you so well. I am pleased your enjoyed your stay.
with very best regards

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Delia looked after us very well and made us most welcome in her lovely home. We were setting off for a self drive adventure of a lifetime in Botswana. She cooked us a lovely evening meal the first night we stayed and a great breakfast to send us on our way. Delia was on holiday on our return 30 days later and we were looked after by her caretaker managers who were very kind. Delia has a beautiful garden where we were able to sit waiting for our late afternoon departure.

Both rooms we had were very nice especially Sky. The heater was welcome as it was very cold when we arrived in Johannesburg. Good hot shower, nice towels and clean comfortable beds make this the number one B&B in Johannesburg for us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you intrepid explorers, for your lovely review. I am only sorry I did not see you on your return to hear about your adventures. I take my hat off to you both setting out in you camper van to cover so many countries and do so much mileage. well done to you both. I look forward to being part of your next African adventure in the near future.
all the best and keep up the travelling