“Sweet Rutland House B&B”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hi - we spent wonderful 10 days in Rutland House B&B. Enjoyed the pool and the great green all over the place. The rooms are very cosy and the host Delia was always around taking care of our needs. Thanks so much again - we´ll be back ;) Ben & Stefan (Berlin)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Ben and Stephan,
Thank you so much for your great review. It was lovely for me to see you enjoying the swimming pool after a hard days work and enjoying the warmth before heading back to Europe.
I look forward to your visit in April. All the best

There are newer reviews for Rutland House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I arrived with my 2 grown daughters after a long flight from North America. Delia was fabulous. One of my daughter's suitcase had been ripped, and Delia made several phone calls to advocate for her, which resulted in her being given a brand new (and larger) suitcase for free. Also, when we arrived, which was a few days before xmas, Delia announced that she had extra space and, instead of having all 3 of us in one room, she had decided to give us one room for my daughters and one room for myself, at no extra cost. The breakfast was excellent, and we enjoyed having a dip in her pool as well. Delia is a real gem of a person. The neighborhood is quite safe. We walked one night to the Corner Cafe for a delicious dinner. Book immediately to avoid disappointment, as it fills up most of the year well in advance!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Ruth, Thank you for such a lovely review. It was a pleasure to have you and your daughters to stay and I hope you went on to enjoy the rest of your trip with all suitcases in tact...
All the best to for 2013 and maybe I will see you and / or your daughters in the future.. With very best regards Delia

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Absolutely detestable!

I might edit this later, however, I would advise not staying here. After I left I was charged for breaking a chair and leaving the room in total disarray accompanied by a very rude email full of personal insult.

So, if you like being insulted; being charged from breaking things that are in fine working condition; being told that folded blankets, washed dishes, wiped counters, wiped stoves, trash set aside, and just a general state of daily cleanliness constitutes filthy; and having your trash gone through (yes, this happened too), then this is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, I don't advise it.

The trash thing is really sketchy though. Why would someone go through someone else's trash?..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank joechak

Dear Jo, Thank you for your review. We obviously have differing ideas on cleanliness. You forget to mention I did not charge you when the single booking suddenly becoming a double booking with your girlfriend. I let this pass. You do not mention I drove you to my local gym and introduced you to the management and asked for a special rate for you. I went out of my way to make you feel at home and comfortable. But I am pleased you have had a chance to say your words. Delia

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We left Nigeria for a two week business trip with mixed feelings. Rutland House catered for all our needs beyond our wildest imagination.The location is central and the compound neet and well kept, the beautiful garden gives us the feeling of living close to nature. Delia and her team makes this trip the best we had ever had! The lovely breakfast with different faces was a fantastic experience! Our cottage makes us feel like King & Queen. It was like a second honeymoon. Greta,Sarah&Andrew complement Delia making our stay a wonderful experience. We certainly would not want to stay anywhere else at our next visit next year. Thank you Delia for making us feel welcomed and well taken care of.

Room Tip: Each room is unique with privacy while still being a part of a loving large family
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter A
rutlandhouse, Manager at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Peter and Lois, It was such a pleasure to have you to stay at Rutland House. I felt by the end of your 2 weeks here we were firm friends. You are a lovely couple and I wish you all the success you deserve with your business.
I look forward to your next visit next year. Till then, keep well and enjoy your little girls.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Johannesburg has a rather daunting reputation to people who don't know it. Four of us (two widow friends and my wife and me) needed an overnight stay there on the way back to Australia from an African safari. We found Rutland House through TripAdvisor. It is not the Ritz but was a comfortable B&B with a lovely British-style garden in an attractive and well-off suburban area. What was special was the help the proprietor, Delia, gave us. Through her, we arranged airport transfers and a day tour. They all worked perfectly. This city that had made us a little apprehensive ended up a successful stopover to finish our trip, thanks to her. Delia was away when we stayed, but her temporary staff looked after us well and made a good breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely review and I am sorry I did not get to meet you all. I am please all our plans were so successfull and your brief visit to Johannesburg and Rutland House was enjoyable.
With very best regards

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family will stay at Rutland each time we visit South Africa. Its a very warm home away from home and the breakfasts are incredible. The garden is well maintained. Delia is awesome and her hospitality skills are a cut above the rest. She goes an extra mile to assist...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review and for posting our happy photographs in the breakfast room. Pity your lovely daughter took the photos as it would have been nice to have a pretty young face joining us... It was such a pleasure and fun to have your family to stay and I am pleased the shopping went so well. I definately look forward to your next visit and hope you all keep well and happy till then. With very best wishes .

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our family moved to South Africa and we had the great chance to stay with Delia in Rutland house for a month, before entering our new house.
The garden is wonderful, the cottage very comfortable, Delia and her staff is very welcoming and try to make your life simple and easy.
A great souvenir for our first steps in this country.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Merci beaucoup Aude,
It was such a pleasure to have you to stay at Rutland House. I think my French improved as I had to speak to your cute 2 year old daughter in French !! I wish you all happiness with your next few years in Johannesburg and i look forward to the verre du vin we must still have.
Many thanks for the great review.