“Memorable Stay at Rutland”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 293 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Harare, Zimbabwe
“Memorable Stay at Rutland”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family will stay at Rutland each time we visit South Africa. Its a very warm home away from home and the breakfasts are incredible. The garden is well maintained. Delia is awesome and her hospitality skills are a cut above the rest. She goes an extra mile to assist...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review and for posting our happy photographs in the breakfast room. Pity your lovely daughter took the photos as it would have been nice to have a pretty young face joining us... It was such a pleasure and fun to have your family to stay and I am pleased the shopping went so well. I definately look forward to your next visit and hope you all keep well and happy till then. With very best wishes .
Delia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Paris, France
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Our family moved to South Africa and we had the great chance to stay with Delia in Rutland house for a month, before entering our new house.
The garden is wonderful, the cottage very comfortable, Delia and her staff is very welcoming and try to make your life simple and easy.
A great souvenir for our first steps in this country.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Merci beaucoup Aude,
It was such a pleasure to have you to stay at Rutland House. I think my French improved as I had to speak to your cute 2 year old daughter in French !! I wish you all happiness with your next few years in Johannesburg and i look forward to the verre du vin we must still have.
Many thanks for the great review.
Lyon, France
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in this friendly and clean "Bed & Breakfast" for a few nights while visiting my 87-year old mother-in-law in Johannesburg.

Our room was spacious and we really appreciated all the small personal touches like fresh fruit, rusks, coffee, tea etc. The bed was very comfortable and the surroundings very quiet. The owner Delia is absolutely delightful and a great hostess. She has a special gift of bringing guests together during breakfast and we ended up having great conversations.

Her garden is beautiful - I loved her roses!

We will be back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hirondelle11
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review, it was a pleasure for me to have you and Keith to stay and I especially enjoyed meeting your mother in law briefly. Thank you for your comment on the roses, sadley they have just had their first cut back of dead heads but they will be back. I look forward to seeing you both again in the future, till then, keep well. With very best regards
Durban
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Rutland House is a lovely bed and breakfast, with an old school charm. I definitely recommend this place for anyone having to go to Johannesburg as it is close enough to the major business hubs, yet has the feel of a country house. Delia (the owner) is friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage which had a lounge, two rooms, a kitchen, bathroom and beautiful little court...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank yo so much Marie for writing my 100th !!! review. it was lovley meeting you all be it for such a short stay. I hope to see you agian in the near future. With very best wishes. Delia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I discovered Rutland House on Trip Advisor, and chose it not only because of its superlative reviews, but also because Delia seems to reply to all of them, and remember every guest she has ever encountered. It was this personal touch which impressed me, and it transpires that this is a major feature of the accommodation.

Like many other reviewers, I was somewhat nervous of Johannesburg’s reputation for crime, but my wife, three daughters (teens and early 20s) and I found this to be totally unfounded. Craighall is a lovely area, and not remotely intimidating. Delia reassured us, and was absolutely correct, that it was completely safe to walk around even at night, which we did repeatedly during our 7 night stay. In fact, we found Jo’burg as a whole to be considerably more friendly and unthreatening than many other cities we have visited across Europe and America, which I am ashamed to admit was a big surprise to me. We met and talked to many people during our stay, black and white, and the only ones we found objectionable were the occasional white individuals of dubious racial views, and we have plenty of them in England.

As others have said, the guest house itself is beautiful and secluded, with lovely gardens and private entrances for each unit. Breakfast is included, and cooked to order, and the rooms are stocked with tea, coffee, snacks and sweets which are replenished daily by the two maids, Sarah and Gretta. They are efficient and delightful, and never obtrusive. In fact they seemed to do their work as if by magic - while we were at breakfast the beds were made, and on our return in the evening a light and the heater was already turned on (we visited in winter), and towels and toiletries replaced.

Delia was as lovely and friendly as everyone says, and a superb cook, but halfway through our stay she left to begin her own holiday. Olga and Dick took over the running of the place, and they were as warm, hospitable and humourous as Delia had been. Like her, they too helped when we needed it with planning and map-reading our outings, as well as all the other little details of B&B living, such as cooking great breakfasts and looking after our luggage after checking out. But as with Delia, Sarah and Gretta, we never felt our privacy or self-determination was compromised. We really had the best of both worlds - the independence and privacy of staying in one’s own accommodation, combined with the catering, assistance and personal attention associated with a hotel or guest house.

If you are reading this looking for a safe, peaceful and exceptionally comfortable place to stay in Johannesburg, and you chose not to stay at the Rutland House, I feel very sorry for what you will inevitably miss. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hay Joe, Thank you so very much for your fantastic review. It really was such a treat for me to meet you both and your lovely girls. Although quite mad.. what do they say about "mad dogs and Englishman and girls swimming in a cold winter pool"... I am so happy your special family trip went well and I can always rely on Dick and Olga and Gretta & Sarah to fill my shoes.
I do hope that I might see you here again or even just a daughter or two in the future.
Till then all keep well and happy.
Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We only had the pleasure of staying one night as a break between the overnight flight from London and travelling on to Botswana, but Rutland House was quite charming and relaxing. Our ground arrangements were all taken care of by Delia so we were picked up at the airport and returned the following day without a hitch, so important when you are tired and in an unfamiliar city. Delia was the perfect host and suggested a lovely restaurant down the road within easy and safe walking distance which was absolutely super for dinner. Our only regret was not being able to stay for longer. Maybe next time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Duncan, yes far too short a time in Johannesburg so i await the "next time" .
I am really pleased you enjoyed your trip and stay with us at Rutland House.
I look forward to hearing about your next trip to JHB and I can arrange all sorts of fun and interesting days for you.
Take care
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This B&B is an amazing place to stay when you're in Johannesburg.

2 colleagues and I stayed here for 3 nights in total on either side of a Kruger Safari. Delia is so nice and so helpful, it really made the trip!

The rooms are nice and clean and with all the amenities you could want. We were there in the winter on the coldest days of the year, but the rooms had heaters and electric blankets to keep warm and cosy. In each room were tea and coffee supplies, fresh fruit and very tasty cinnamon rusks (like biscotti). Which was a godsend because our flight back from Kruger was very late and we would have gone hungry.

Breakfasts are amazing with fresh fruits, choice of cereals and yogurt and a full hot breakfast. This really kept us going for our freezing cold day of touring around Johannesburg.

Also have to mention that Delia recommended Chic Chamberlain from Macit Tours for our transfers to and from the airport and for our day tour around Johannesburg and Soweto. Chic was so kind and patient and a great tour guide. His bright and smiling face at the airport made our very delayed arrival from Kruger that much less distressing.

For those of you who shy away from B&Bs because you are afraid you'll be staying in someone's spare room (this was me just last year) please rest assured that each room has its own private entrance and is very secure and safe. I would have felt perfectly comfortable staying here as a solo traveller, especially if I had Chic to take me around.

Thank you Delia!

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms, so ask Delia which one she would recommend.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you Jay for such a wonderful review. It was great for me to have you to stay. Thank you for mentioning Chic, i will pass your message on. I hope you had a successful trip and conference in Cape Town and also hope to see you again in the near future at Rutland House.
All the best o the 3 of you.
Delia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Craighall Garden Guest House
#11 of 293 in Johannesburg
Hyde Park Villas
Hyde Park Villas
#4 of 75 in Sandton

Been to Rutland House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!